John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

3 hours ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Man, people who attended the first concert we're in for a treat with Princess Leia's Theme, the flutist is fantastic! Strings sound so warm and smooth.

Yeah, this piece was one of my favourite on thursday, too bad Williams didn't find the strenght to play it again for the other concert because it was a truly wonderful performance. In any case I'm glad they recorded it that everyone can experienced it

Why is the Imperial March so sharp? It's like a quater tone up from G. 

I know sometimes Horns pitch themselves up a few cents so they stick out of the mix more, maybe this is what i'm hearing? 

1 hour ago, aj_vader said:

Why is the Imperial March so sharp? It's like a quater tone up from G. 

I know sometimes Horns pitch themselves up a few cents so they stick out of the mix more, maybe this is what i'm hearing? 

Maybe it was forced?

I've downloaded all of the performances from Digital Concert Hall and converted it into an album for my iTunes library. After removing all of the silences/speech/applause (which I'm not particularly interested in when I'm only listening to a concert), there's around 92 minutes of music. Perfect for a 2 CD set.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.22.50 pm.png

@Archive Collection: How have you it downloaded ? I have read, that when the ticket or time for the Digital Concert Hall runs out, then all data (music files) will be deleted from the hard drive. So when i buy a ticket for 7 days, i can download it on my hard drive, but after seven days the files will be delete. Is that so ?

10 minutes ago, heritage said:

@Archive Collection: How have you it downloaded ? I have read, that when the ticket or time for the Digital Concert Hall runs out, then all data (music files) will be deleted from the hard drive. So when i buy a ticket for 7 days, i can download it on my hard drive, but after seven days the files will be delete. Is that so ?

Not quite. Officially, you can't download the video from the Digital Concert Hall website, but I downloaded the HLS stream as a M2TS file, and extracted the audio from that.

Any thoughts on JW's body language at the end of Princess Leia's Theme? Is he shaking his head because he's so impressed with their performance, or is he unhappy about something?

The orchestra played it to perfection, IMO! That horn solo... wow!

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Any thoughts on JW's body language at the end of Princess Leia's Theme? Is he shaking his head because he's so impressed with their performance, or is he unhappy about something?

The orchestra played it to perfection, IMO! That horn solo... wow!

Well, not that this answers your question at all, but I shake my head when I'm impressed with something. No idea why.

40 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Damn, I think that Far and Away performance might just be better than the actual soundtrack. The Imperial March is amazing too.

Well, yeah after they edited the mistakes 😉

It was quite magical in the hall. No record can reproduce that feeling.

Did they fix "mistakes" for this video presentation by grabbing audio from one of the other nights to patch over things from the main concert night it presents?

13 hours ago, Archive Collection said:

I've downloaded all of the performances from Digital Concert Hall and converted it into an album for my iTunes library. After removing all of the silences/speech/applause (which I'm not particularly interested in when I'm only listening to a concert), there's around 92 minutes of music. Perfect for a 2 CD set.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.22.50 pm.png

would you be so kind to share your cover? I like it better than mine... ;)

2021_Berlin.jpg

8 hours ago, heritage said:

@Archive Collection Have you a mac program were i can download it from the Digital Concert Hall ? I don´t know how it works

I used Firefox, and a browsers plug-in called Video DownloadHelper to download the files from the site. From there I used Audacity to extract the audio and export it as a 24/48 WAV file.

6 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

would you be so kind to share your cover? I like it better than mine... ;)

2021_Berlin.jpg

Sure, here you go!

13F71059-CB55-4CAE-B292-D963A295DB94.jpeg

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I can confirm they removed sections from his speeches in the concert hall version. Because... they could, I guess.

I thought some of the speeches seemed shorter than I remembered from the live broadcast!

Just... why?!

Well, copies of Saturday's live stream are floating around too and I just put in Leia's theme to make it all complete.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about these performance corrections either. Olympic fanfare, okay, but there was a beautiful, very slightly out of sync brass moment in Far and Away on Saturday and now it's gone. GONE! Not modern at all.

23 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Well, copies of Saturday's live stream are floating around too and I just put in Leia's theme to make it all complete.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about these performance corrections either. Olympic fanfare, okay, but there was a beautiful, very slightly out of sync brass moment in Far and Away on Saturday and now it's gone. GONE! Not modern at all.

I'm happy that they did actually put in that work, unlike the recording of another concert.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Also the oboe flub in the beginning of Far and away is corrected. It's nice to have a perfect recording. The concert feeling is only represented by the original saturday broadcast though. 

Damn…in the live video one of the most used camera angles of Williams features more than two ugly empty seats. It didnt cross my mind at the moment to go there and use those seats after the intermission….(i would have been filmed with williams very clearly in the that part of the concert….) well missed opportunity….

would it have been bad form to do that? 😅 Maybe the actual owner of the seats could arrive late…but an hour late? Would he or she be let get into the concert at that time?

24 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

would it have been bad form to do that? 😅 Maybe the actual owner of the seats could arrive late…but an hour late? Would he or she be let get into the concert at that time?

Years ago, when I had a student cycle ticket for the Wiener Philharmoniker (mostly dress rehearsals), they rescheduled one of the concerts, and I didn't notice that they changed not just the day, but also the time, to one hour earlier on the new date. I only noticed something was wrong when I arrived in the middle of the intermission. They let me in without any trouble - why wouldn't they. What they usually won't do is let you in during the performence, except in between pieces (so you're probably in luck with a Williams concert consisting of short pieces, but less so with a Mahler symphony).

On 26/10/2021 at 8:36 AM, Disco Stu said:

I'm guessing a lot of it comes down to the infrastructure that's been put in place in the hall by the management.  Perhaps the Berlin hall just had a better setup for placing more cameras and in better spots than the hall in Vienna?

The Berlin Phil has been pretty much at the forefront of streaming and having their own recording label. The Digital Concert Hall started before 2011 (which is when I was introduced to it by friends in Brazil when I visited them). So, yes, they have a number of built in cameras and mic positions that their live and edit team know how to work to perfection. I believe they record every single concert even if they only broadcast one of them when there is a multinight program.

I've been a subscriber for years and completely recommend it. There are native apps on a lot of platforms too, and you can download for offline viewing (e.g. airplanes) on the iPad and iPhone app.

My only request would be that they have an audio only mode for the phone. Even with the screen off, I think it streams the video. Kind of a waste when listening and running.

On 28/10/2021 at 10:31 AM, BB-8 said:

Now looking at it, a DG CD and/or CD/Bluray release would still be better than this on-demand edition hanging around in the clouds and us guys having to rip, edit and design our own souvenirs.

I don't know if they will do this, but for years the Berlin Phil recording label has been releasing sets with CDs or SACDs plus a Blu-ray video of the concert works in the set, and download codes and a 7-day ticket for the digital concert hall. For example, when John Adams was a guest conductor one year, they collected much of his work into a set. They've just released a series of violin concertos from numerous concerts. The packaging and material are amazing IMO. Even for those who do not want physical copies, eventually the digital versions are available too (sometimes day and date, sometimes offset by a few months).

(Example: https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/john-adams-edition.html)

No idea if they will consider doing this for the JW concert. I would expect the rights are an issue. But who knows, maybe they will? They do release material (e.g. the John Adams works) that are still under copyright. 

8 hours ago, lairdo said:

The Berlin Phil has been pretty much at the forefront of streaming and having their own recording label. The Digital Concert Hall started before 2011 (which is when I was introduced to it by friends in Brazil when I visited them). So, yes, they have a number of built in cameras and mic positions that their live and edit team know how to work to perfection. I believe they record every single concert even if they only broadcast one of them when there is a multinight program.

I've been a subscriber for years and completely recommend it. There are native apps on a lot of platforms too, and you can download for offline viewing (e.g. airplanes) on the iPad and iPhone app.

My only request would be that they have an audio only mode for the phone. Even with the screen off, I think it streams the video. Kind of a waste when listening and running.

I don't know if they will do this, but for years the Berlin Phil recording label has been releasing sets with CDs or SACDs plus a Blu-ray video of the concert works in the set, and download codes and a 7-day ticket for the digital concert hall. For example, when John Adams was a guest conductor one year, they collected much of his work into a set. They've just released a series of violin concertos from numerous concerts. The packaging and material are amazing IMO. Even for those who do not want physical copies, eventually the digital versions are available too (sometimes day and date, sometimes offset by a few months).

(Example: https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/john-adams-edition.html)

No idea if they will consider doing this for the JW concert. I would expect the rights are an issue. But who knows, maybe they will? They do release material (e.g. the John Adams works) that are still under copyright. 

So there’s hope!

Nah it was just too good

I have to say the only applause that bothered me were those at the beginning of the Imperial March.

I think Williams should either rewrite the intro to last longer that during concert people applause a bit at the beginning and then we can perfectly enjoyed the piece or have a bag of old tomatoes to throw on those who applause