John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

The only applause that bothered me was at the end of the Elegy on saturday- barely left time for the last notes to fade. On thursday there were those few seconds of suspended silence you might expect after a quiet piece. 

26 minutes ago, eitam said:

The only applause that bothered me was at the end of the Elegy on sunday- barely left time for the last notes to fade. On thursday there were those few seconds of suspended silence you might expect after a quiet piece. 

Yes, that's a trend coming from america that I don't like. Also cheering after the first notes of a tune are played... 

It's not a rock concert. 

"Zwischenapplaus" was rather common in European concert and opera houses of the 18/19th century - until Gustav Mahler introduced ceremonial silence between movements, most evidently in his 2nd symphony which requires at least 5 minutes of silence after the first movement (which is often ignored nowadays - even in Vienna).

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

In "serious" classical concerts, and with a good conductor, you often get a prolonged silence after a work followed by frenetic applause. *Because* it was so good. The silence lets the full impact of the performance (and the final notes) sink in. Personally, I find a sustained silence after an excellent performance at least as emotional as the applause following it.

Conductors will often try to prompt silence by keeping their arms raised after the last note. I think Williams managed that during Saturday's Elegy, but with his big hits, he probably doesn't stand a chance anyway.

I totally agree with you. There must be a little silence before the applause.

However between the three pieces of HP, Indy and SW I think a round of applause is necessary with a little silence before of course

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

In "serious" classical concerts, and with a good conductor, you often get a prolonged silence after a work followed by frenetic applause. *Because* it was so good. The silence lets the full impact of the performance (and the final notes) sink in. Personally, I find a sustained silence after an excellent performance at least as emotional as the applause following it.

Conductors will often try to prompt silence by keeping their arms raised after the last note. I think Williams managed that during Saturday's Elegy, but with his big hits, he probably doesn't stand a chance anyway.

Not everybody reacts the same way though.  When I saw Slatkin conduct Copland's 3rd in 2019, I was so excited and in awe of the music and the performance that as soon as his arms started going down I practically jumped to my feet, I didn't want to sit in stunned silence or whatever.

Just seen that the Digital Concert Hall has a free 7-days trial, so I logged on and have screened the first half of the concert...just to discover that the Jurassic Park significant timp flub has not been edited!

Strange.

Presume others have realised this before.

When the conductor lowers their arms, that's usually the sign that the performance is over and the applause may start. But anything before that, while their arms are up, I still count as part of the performance. Including the silence.

Most annoying are people at the opera who start clapping as soon as the curtain begins to lower. Never mind any solemn pianissimo chords or whatever the composer may have written.

Yeah, I even had that once at Bayreuth during the final cord of Parsifal when an utter twit called a guttural "Bravi" before the last sustained trumpet note had ended.

When the conductor lowers their arms, that's usually the sign that the performance is over and the applause may start. But anything before that, while their arms are up, I still count as part of the performance. Including the silence.

I agree with Marian Schedenig

20 hours ago, lairdo said:

No idea if they will consider doing this for the JW concert. I would expect the rights are an issue. But who knows, maybe they will? They do release material (e.g. the John Adams works) that are still under copyright. 

I hope they will release the concert on Blu-Ray or DVD just as they have released BPO's Waldbühne 2015 film music concert.

https://www.euroarts.com/labels/6090-waldbuhne-2015-lights-camera-action

6 hours ago, E-Wan said:

I hope they will release the concert on Blu-Ray or DVD just as they have released BPO's Waldbühne 2015 film music concert.

https://www.euroarts.com/labels/6090-waldbuhne-2015-lights-camera-action

I have that disc (or maybe I "own" it via the iTunes Store) and it is very enjoyable. Love seeing Sarah Willis and the other horn players don the fedoras! Not sure if videos from the hall are handled differently than the summer venue. However this can get out there in as much a complete version as possible would be great!

This just came back from Berlin Phil Recordings:

"Auf Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings ist keine Veröffentlichung des Konzertes geplant. Sie finden es jedoch permanent als Video-Stream in der Digital Concert Hall:"

Sad, really. :-(

And hard to understand why not as such a release would sell like hot Schnitzel (on top of the streaming product).

Any ideas how to make this go forward?

So can we at least hope for EuroArts or DG?

I am personally more interested in a proper high-res audiophile release than any streaming product.

I use my computer (and the internet) mostly for work and communication. My HiFi is used more like a musical instrument, i.e. for music only, and comes second after the real concert hall experience.

I presume I am not the only person who dislikes merging everything into one interne-based format. I mean, limited golden vinyl from Vienna vs streaming bits and bites from Berlin tucked away behind a paywall...how can that be?

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

"Auf Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings ist keine Veröffentlichung des Konzertes geplant. Sie finden es jedoch permanent als Video-Stream in der Digital Concert Hall:"

Does this just mean that their own label isn't going to release it? There could be some other labels already fighting for the rights to release it? Earlier Vienna recording was the best selling orchestral album of 2020.

16 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

And if you wish to send further enquiries or petitions to Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings then write to:

help@berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com

:lsabre:

Start a petition and I'll sign.

1 minute ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Does this just mean that their own label isn't going to release it? There could be some other labels already fighting for the rights to release it? Earlier Vienna recording was the best selling orchestral album of 2020.

Hopefully. Who knows what other record companies may have offered?

However, strange enough that the BPO's house label doesn't have any further plans other than parking the video stream (which still contains the significant timpani flub in Jurassic Park!) in the Digital Concert Hall. Perhaps they are all so obsessed about this format (that stands in competition with DG Stage).

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Start a petition and I'll sign.

Maybe someone here could invite Sarah Willis as a patron to spearhead such petition for an audiophile release of JW's legendary Berlin concert?

8 hours ago, BB-8 said:

This just came back from Berlin Phil Recordings:

Sad, really. :-(

And hard to understand why not as such a release would sell like hot Schnitzel (on top of the streaming product).

Any ideas how to make this go forward?

Just read the English translation. Dammit! This would sell easily; just release this on 4K Blu-Ray/CD with Dolby Atmos!

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Aha!

Wait, so Deutsche Grammophon may release it? Source?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

E-mail reply from Berlin Phil.

I REALLY hope they plan on releasing the concert on 4K Blu-Ray and CD with Dolby Atmos. Why not release it like they did the Vienna concert (though that was regular Blu-Ray)? I’d buy it without hesitation.

And then the big Boxset ASM/Williams in regular edition, them gold edition, then live edition, the Blu-ray edition them combo Blu-ray/CD and then the 4k/CD and finally the combo 4K/Blu-ray/CD/vinyl special edition in red, black or gold

10 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

And then the big Boxset ASM/Williams in regular edition, them gold edition, then live edition, the Blu-ray edition them combo Blu-ray/CD and then the 4k/CD and finally the combo 4K/Blu-ray/CD/vinyl special edition in red, black or gold

Plus a golden Swarovski USB data stick with all high- and low-res MP3s and a key to DG Stage.

58 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Plus a golden Swarovski USB data stick with all high- and low-res MP3s

Both 96 and 128 kbps!

11 hours ago, BB-8 said:

There is also JW-ASM 3 coming up...

You're probably thinking of Time Tunnel vol. 3...

12 hours ago, E-Wan said:

I hope so. EuroArts have released more than a hundred DVDs & Blu-Rays with BPO concerts.

https://www.euroarts.com/labels?keys=Berliner Philharmoniker

So why not this one?!

Could be any number of issues: bad sound, copyright, apathy, lack of interest from the public...

What did the German press think about the concerts?

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Could be any number of issues: bad sound, copyright, apathy, lack of interest from the public...

What did the German press think about the concerts?

The local radio station said that the God of filmmusic had arrived.

That reminded me of the Vienna press-wording "Besuch vom lieben Gott".

Other than that it has been rather quiet in the press. The best in-depth reviews came from the real fans, and what you read from the general press is usually quite superficial and sometimes a little ignorant or even arrogant (ignorance and arrogance can also go hand-in-hand).