John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

Did you just re-post the same image we've been talking about?

Or has it been changed in some way I'm not noticing?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Set looks great, but I won't be able to afford it for the foreseeable future.

I think that the price, as is usually the case with Amazon pre-orders, will drop, perhaps even to 35 €.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

8108cGpb6OL._SL1500_.jpg

I absolutely love the packaging. I cannot wait to order this the moment it becomes available for pre-order on Amazon (USA).

A friend in the industry mentioned to me the contents of the fourth disc.  Evidently, it is recording of the rehearsals, secretly recorded by a flautist.  From what I am told, it it makes the Buddy Rich tapes seem tame in comparison.  

I’m going to assume that the two CDs will feature edited versions of the concert performances with “clean endings”/no applause. Then one of the blu-rays will feature the contents of the CD in a hi-res audio format, while the other blu-ray will feature the concert film.

Im hoping its a tentative artwork for the discs. I suppose Disc 4 would contain the interviews and extras. But I was hoping for a 4K UHD presentation. Unless they disc the program split in 2 blu rays which would be insane.

It should become more clear in coming days.

The "golden foil"...

61C-gnnU1QL._SL1500_.jpg

Anyone made it to the cover? Looks like the Thursday concert...

inside.jpg

3 hours ago, rpvee said:

Any word on a limited vinyl edition like the golden /1000 Vienna one?

Black so far (note the image in the middle of the disc)

Also note part of the Vienna Musikvereinssaal showing inside ROTFLMAO

71CPDoAkfIL._SL1500_.jpg

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Black so far (note the image in the middle of the disc)

Fingers crossed for some kind of limited numbered vinyl again. Still kicking myself for missing the Vienna one!

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So it's the edited down version from the digital concert hall. Great.

So what are the two blu rays now?

Video/Audio and Audio-only

I don't know why they're offering both, but I've ordered it like a slave.

I CAN ONLY HOPE THEY HAVE TAKEN CARE OF THE MAJOR TIMP FLUB IN JURASSIC PARK!

20 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I CAN ONLY HOPE THEY HAVE TAKEN CARE OF THE MAJOR TIMP FLUB IN JURASSIC PARK!

Why should they so it? It is a live recording. I expect flubs, I expect coughs and maybe even the grumbling of that three year old child fidgeting on its mother's lap right beside me.

21 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

No bonus material except Princess Lea.

Not a bad thing in my books! I only went on the Friday and Saturday - despite loving the entire experience, I was a bit disheartened not to here Leia's theme (a personal favourite)

45 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Why should they so it? It is a live recording. I expect flubs, I expect coughs and maybe even the grumbling of that three year old child fidgeting on its mother's lap right beside me.

Is this what Dolby Atmos is all about?

This seems to be a straight pressing of the content available on Digital Concert.

If that's the case, we will miss the "concert" experience in the blue ray (and there was really no reason for two blu ray discs) and possibly even in the audio cd.

Feeling somehow disappointed.

(Please stop hoping for edits, fixes and similar: that's not what a live album is about).

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This is done all the time with live classical albums. If they do several concerts in a row, they edit together the best parts.

Yeah, as detected in the Digital Concert Hall and most evidently in the Vienna Blu-ray with JW's tie colour switching from silver-grey to blue.

19 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

At last we are getting "Leia's theme from Thursday. So, it will surely be not just the digital concert hall recording from Saturday.

Same in the Digital Concert app.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Most flubs were edited out on the digital concert hall version. There were very few mistakes though. I'm glad I have both versions. 

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This is done all the time with live classical albums: If they do several concerts in a row, they edit together the best parts.

As long as they use genuine live executions then it's OK.

Just now, Steve said:

Most flubs were edited out on the digital concert hall version. There were very few mistakes though. I'm glad I have both versions. 

But the timp flub in JP is rather obvious and still in.

1 minute ago, BB-8 said:

But the timp flub in JP is rather obvious and still in.

It's harder to fix a timing problem than a missed horn tone e.g.

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

This seems to be a straight pressing of the content available on Digital Concert.

If that's the case, we will miss the "concert" experience in the blue ray

What exactly do you mean? It'll be the whole concert from start to finish (without Williams' announcement to JP, in which he was wrong about the scene it came from), just like it was with the Vienna release. You'll definitely be able to watch it without having to press "play" again after all pieces or read credits after each track, like it was in Digital Concert Hall. 

I'm sure that the applause and ovations will also be much longer than in DCH, where they were turned off almost immediately after each piece was performed.

Do you recommend to preorder it now from Deutsche Grammophon store (I don't know if they ship to Spain), or better wait for it to be available in spanish Amazon?

29 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

What exactly do you mean? It'll be the whole concert from start to finish (without Williams' announcement to JP, in which he was wrong about the scene it came from), just like it was with the Vienna release. You'll definitely be able to watch it without having to press "play" again after all pieces or read credits after each track, like it was in Digital Concert Hall. 

I'm sure that the applause and ovations will also be much longer than in DCH, where they were turned off almost immediately after each piece was performed.

I hope you are right, but the absence of the introduction to Jurassic Park, the "track list" of the bluray, as well as the precedent of the Digital Concert app (where you can't watch the whole concert) makes me think otherwise.
We will figure out shortly.

4 minutes ago, victorrt said:

Do you recommend to preorder it now from Deutsche Grammophon store (I don't know if they ship to Spain), or better wait for it to be available in spanish Amazon?

They do ship to Spain. Shipment costs can be found here. The ltd golden vinyls are probably only available here.

Deutsche Grammophon - der offizielle Shop - Delivery

7 minutes ago, victorrt said:

If you don't want the limited edition vinyls which are exclusive to the DG store, I'm sure everything else will be available on spanish Amazon soon.

Shipping to spain is 9.95€ from DG Store https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/pdelivery/index.html?onChangeLanguage=1&language_id=EN