John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Video/Audio and Audio-only

I don't know why they're offering both, but I've ordered it like a slave.

I CAN ONLY HOPE THEY HAVE TAKEN CARE OF THE MAJOR TIMP FLUB IN JURASSIC PARK!

I personally made sure timp flubs in JP and Superman make it on the "to be still edited" list (since they haven't fixed it for the DCH archives) so rest assured there is a superb and fixed version for eternity :-D

That's exactly what it is.  In the glamour shot you can see it at its proper height, but Amazon squished it to a square for their listing

44 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Actually a patch session was planned, but they didn't do it.

Because they considered it good enough? Or due to time issues?

2 hours ago, ConorPower said:

I was a bit disheartened not to here Leia's theme (a personal favourite)

Well, here it is.

2 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

What exactly do you mean? It'll be the whole concert from start to finish (without Williams' announcement to JP, in which he was wrong about the scene it came from), just like it was with the Vienna release. You'll definitely be able to watch it without having to press "play" again after all pieces or read credits after each track, like it was in Digital Concert Hall. 

I'm sure that the applause and ovations will also be much longer than in DCH, where they were turned off almost immediately after each piece was performed.

They messed with the speeches they kept in the digital concert hall version too.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Now that Amazon DE has the vinyl cover up, if you look at both side by side you can see each is cropped differently from the other

61J0EYtVmmL._SL1200_.jpg

Also, DG say "Digipack im DVD Format" - with CDs and Blu-rays inside...:eh:

john williams header

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Ooh, that was fast!! Thanks!! Ordered that gold vinyl, the 7”, and the deluxe CD/Blu-Ray.

Interesting the website doesn’t say just how limited these physical releases are, especially the gold and 7” vinyls that are only described as “numbered”.

Ah nice, so there will be an audio only release as well, 2CD digipak.  Can anyone find that edition on any Amazon yet?

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah nice, so there will be an audio only release as well, 2CD digipak.  Can anyone find that edition on any Amazon yet?

Yes, it’s on UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09KN4JRX8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0PCM3PT6TKDD20WRZ470

I finally ponied up for the DCH recording this week.  So great!  And something about the recording (or mixing or mic placement or my headphones) seemed to bring out elements of even very familiar pieces that I had never paid attention to before.  (Turns out there are some very cool low string lines in E.T.!)  This Blu-Ray news couldn't have dropped at a better time for me. 

In what sense is the DCH version edited?  Are there pieces excised, or just transitions between applause and talking?

26 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Quick question: where exactly is the mistake of the timpani in the Jurassic Park (DCH) recording?

According to celloman, it has gone now but I have a recording of the original cut if anyone needs proof.

The flub caused brontosaurus to touch base too early.

This might be a dumb question, but I have to ask this. If I were to pre-order directly from DG, is the set going to be in English, i.e. the packaging, Blu-Ray, booklet? The reason I ask is because I am from Florida. Another part of my inquiry is as follows. If I were to order directly from DG, is the Blu-Ray region free? I just don’t want to wait until it is available to pre-order on Amazon.

I hope someone answers my question. Anyway, here is the description:

A few months before his 90th birthday the legendary American film composer John Williams conducted the Berliner Philharmoniker for the first time! The Tagesspiegel summed up the event as simply “one of those great evenings”. Regardless of whether Star Wars, Harry Potter or Indiana Jones, the symphonic Hollywood sounds on the stage of the Berliner Philharmoniker thrilled the audience right from the start. The soundtracks of John Williams are among the most popular in the history of film and have received numerous prestigious awards, including five Oscars, five Emmys, four Golden Globes and twenty-five Grammys.

The album “John Williams – The Berlin Concert” celebrates the iconic composer and captures the impressive energy of this unique concert played by one of the world’s greatest orchestras. Under Williams’ baton, the musicians bring exceptional tonal beauty and an edge-of-the-seat intensity to a thrilling selection of his scores. “John Williams doesn’t need the films, the films need him,” wrote Rolling Stone after the concert. The album presents cult themes from Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Superman, Indiana Jones, Star Wars and other milestones in film history.

The recording is set for release on 4 February 2022, in time for the superstar composer’s 90th birthday just four days later.

The limited Deluxe Edition is the only version that contains the unique concert experience on Blu-ray. Including a breathtaking Dolby Atmos surround sound mix for the perfect concert experience (available as video and audio-only version). This edition is presented with a high quality gold foil look on the cover. The album is also available as a limited 2 CD digipack, LP-set with 2 180g vinyls, download and stream.

Shop exclusive there are two limited and numbered vinyl editions available: a LP-set with two golden 180g vinyls as well as a golden 7inch vinyl (that features the Superman March as well as Harry’s Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone). Each edition is presented with a high quality gold foil look on the cover.

Tracklisting:

John Williams (*1932)

CD 1 / BluRay

1 Applause

2 Olympic Fanfare and Theme

3 Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind

4 Introduction by John Williams

5 Suite from Far and Away

6 Introduction

7 Hedwig’s Theme from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

8 Nimbus 2000 from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

9 Harry’s Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

10 Theme from Jurassic Park

11 Superman March

CD 2 / BluRay

1 Introduction

2 Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

3 Marion’s Theme from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

4 Raiders March from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

5 Introduction

6 Elegy for Cello and Orchestra (with Bruno Delepelaire)

7 Introduction

8 The Adventures of Han from Solo: A Star Wars Story

9 Yoda’s Theme from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

10 Throne Room & Finale from Star Wars: A New Hope

11 Introduction

12 Princess Leia’s Theme from Star Wars: A New Hope

13 Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

14 The Imperial March from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

"Dolby Atmos surround sound mix"... YES!!!!

8 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

This might be a dumb question, but I have to ask this. If I were to pre-order directly from DG, is the set going to be in English, i.e. the packaging, Blu-Ray, booklet? The reason I ask is because I am from Florida. Another part of my inquiry is as follows. If I were to order directly from DG, is the Blu-Ray region free? I just don’t want to wait until it is available to pre-order on Amazon.

The DG Vienna releases came with bilingual booklets - English, German.

Not sure about Blu-ray regions, but today's players seem to cope with discs from around the world.

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

The DG Vienna releases came with bilingual booklets - English, German.

Not sure about Blu-ray regions, but today's players seem to cope with discs from around the world.

I belive as in last time the Blu Rays are region free. This disc artwork shows the code '0' 

image.png

So as per the DG website Blu ray  Disc 1 is the actual video concert and Blu Ray Disc 2 is the concert is the Blu Ray audio only presentation hopefuly in both stereo and multi channel sound mixes.

COOL !

Deluxe Edition
2 CD & 2 Blu-ray
(1 Visual Album & 1 Blu-ray audio)

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/de/katalog/produkte/the-berlin-concert-john-williams-deluxe-edition-12564

39 minutes ago, Amer said:

I belive as in last time the Blu Rays are region free. This disc artwork shows the code '0' 

image.png

This code '0' is no regional code. It is the FSK (Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle) code which means the visual content can be watched by anyone without age restriction (from the age of 0).

32 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

This code '0' is no regional code. It is the FSK (Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle) code which means the visual content can be watched by anyone without age restriction (from the age of 0).

Ok thanks-I thought otherwise. But the Blu ray disc is definetly Region Free.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

In theory, you would be allowed to watch John Williams in Berlin as a fetus.

1 hour ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Superman March:

Yippy - no applause!

I've never heard the brass spell the word "Superman" as clearly as in 4:04 :lol:

The quality seems quite fine, other than that the percussion is mixed beating-you-on-the-head loudly. I bet some people will loooove this though :sarcasm:

5 hours ago, BB-8 said:

No. The Blu-ray Disc Association are very strict when it comes to this topic. Unlike in DVD times, when after a few years nobody cared about enforcing region protection anymore, vendors are generally not allowed to sell region free players. If they don't adhere to this directive, their certificates can be revoked. Some vendors who used to sell region free players in the early days issued firmware updates to disable the region switching feature to prevent being banned.

More discs than in DVD times (but by far not all) are produced without a region code, i.e. they are officially playable worldwide, regardless of the player's region.

Only 4K UHD Blu rays are being now mostly manufactured Region Free but if the blu ray is bundled withat that then it is likely to be in that region of issuance.

4 hours ago, carlborg said:

Can't find the 4-disc version on Amazon DE...will it be only available on the DG website?

On 17/11/2021 at 3:06 AM, BB-8 said:

On 17/11/2021 at 12:41 PM, Jay said:

Source of that pic is the Amazon DE link to order the 2CD / 2BD set for €49.99: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09KN2QCP4

Two Japanese editions have popped up - something for jewelcase-aficionados, I suppose (and apparently with only one Blu-ray disc).

CDJapan : Search result by ( John Williams Berlin ) OR "John Williams Berlin"

John Williams Live in Berlin (Deluxe Edition) [2Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)+Blu-ray] [Limited Edition]

undefined

John Williams Live in Berlin [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Regular Edition]

undefined

It's very likely identical in content to the same 2CD released separately or in the 4disc set, just in a jewel case and with MQA & UHQCD

Well, I ordered the deluxe edition directly from DG. My Sony 4K Blu-Ray player was purchased brand new directly from Best Buy. I just want to make sure that the Blu-Ray is English by default and will play with no issue.