John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

Obviously great news and while perhaps predictable, still very welcome as a record of the concert and another opportunity for JW and his music to be further available. 

I had speculated, obviously incorrectly, that the Berlin Phil's own label would lead the release given their amazing packaging. I suspect upon seeing this actually on DG that the Berlin's label is just not big enough to support and handle something of this nature. Specifically, when I think about what Sarah Willis said speaking to Maurizio and Tim (https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2021/11/09/sarah-willis-podcast/) is how expensive these pieces are to license to play (and then record and release). DG has the ability to navigate that and their release probably helps the Berlin folks put on the event in the first place.

Of course, this is an instant buy, and I've pretty much preordered everything (even the Japan releases). I wonder if a digital release for purchase will happen and with what content. Vienna's concert only was put out with the single CD version. The Live longer release is only streaming or physical purchase.

We know the concert was recorded in 4K, and I do actually think Unitel (DG's typical partner on these) and/or C-Major will eventually put out the concert in UHD. They have been slowly releasing some numbers of operas, ballets and concerts in this format (playable worldwide).

Lastly, given the timing of this release, I suspect any chance of Violin Concerto No. 2 coming out prior to this release is low. I wonder if that will show up next spring, possibly with some other pieces from the various concerts JW and ASM are doing together.

I have not found any of the 3 physical editions on Amazon US yet, but they have a digital download edition coming:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09L89W4B5

$11.49 for 320kbps mp3s, dropping February 4 2022

1    Olympic Fanfare and Theme
2    Excerpts (From "Close Encounters of the Third Kind")
3    Suite (From "Far and Away")
4    Hedwig's Theme (From "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone")
5    Nimbus 2000 (From "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone")
6    Harry's Wondrous World (From "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone")
7    Theme (From "Jurassic Park")
8    Superman March (From "Superman")
9    Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra (From "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade")
10    Marion's Theme (From "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark")
11    Raider's March (From "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark")
12    Elegy for Cello and Orchestra
13    The Adventures of Han (From "Solo: A Star Wars Story")
14    Yoda's Theme (From "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back")
15    Throne Room & Finale (From "Star Wars: A New Hope")
16    Princess Leia's Theme (From "Star Wars: A New Hope")
17    Flying Theme (From "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial")
18    The Imperial March (From "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back")
19    Digital Booklet: The Berlin Concert

So, looks like no speeches for this edition

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have not found any of the 3 physical editions on Amazon US yet, but they have a digital download edition coming:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09L89W4B5

$11.49 for 320kbps mp3s, dropping February 4 2022

1    Olympic Fanfare and Theme
2    Excerpts (From "Close Encounters of the Third Kind")
3    Suite (From "Far and Away")
4    Hedwig's Theme (From "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone")
5    Nimbus 2000 (From "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone")
6    Harry's Wondrous World (From "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone")
7    Theme (From "Jurassic Park")
8    Superman March (From "Superman")
9    Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra (From "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade")
10    Marion's Theme (From "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark")
11    Raider's March (From "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark")
12    Elegy for Cello and Orchestra
13    The Adventures of Han (From "Solo: A Star Wars Story")
14    Yoda's Theme (From "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back")
15    Throne Room & Finale (From "Star Wars: A New Hope")
16    Princess Leia's Theme (From "Star Wars: A New Hope")
17    Flying Theme (From "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial")
18    The Imperial March (From "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back")
19    Digital Booklet: The Berlin Concert

So, looks like no speeches for this edition

Apple Music shows this version list too (minus the booklet), with the Superman track currently available. Similarly, no speeches listed there either. So, I suspect any hires digital release will be this configuration. 

The Apple Music release shows Apple Digital Master but not lossless or spatial audio (yet). However, when I play that one available Superman track, the interface on my phone says it is Hi Res Lossless.

yea i'm sure it'll be on 7digital, HDTracks, qobuz, Tidal, etc etc too, i just came across it while searching for the physical stuff on Amazon

Also, I got a notice from Tidal that the Superman track dropped to them today too. I don't get a lot of notifications from that app, but it clearly knows of my affinity for John Williams!

Feels like a long time until Feb 4...

We are so lucky that one, John Williams, is still in good shape (after many years of inquiétudes), and, two, that a record label like DG decided to take all our money.

I say YES, YESSSS, YEEEEES!!!

3 hours ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Ahh yes. That's great and makes sense in terms of timing as approach Tanglewood's 2022 season. And if they are celebrating all year long, could we then see the La Scala concert recorded and released for holidays 2022? 

Feb - Berlin

Summer - VC#2 + other ASM played arrangements

Fall - Milan concert

+ the Boston Pops set and maybe more goodness too!

11 hours ago, lairdo said:

Ahh yes. That's great and makes sense in terms of timing as approach Tanglewood's 2022 season. And if they are celebrating all year long, could we then see the La Scala concert recorded and released for holidays 2022? 

Feb - Berlin

Summer - VC#2 + other ASM played arrangements

Fall - Milan concert

+ the Boston Pops set and maybe more goodness too!

One would think the Yo Yo Ma cello album will be released in 2022 as well. 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

One would think the Yo Yo Ma cello album will be released in 2022 as well. 

Had totally forgot that was going to show up.

Hopefully, we'll see each major label do something in and around JW's 90th birthday in February. I've noticed this with composer and performer releases around major birthdays (and sometimes around anniversaries of deaths as with 4 Stravinsky box sets in 2021). 

26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I am soooo terrified they will have kept the sloppy digital concert hall edits in the speeches... Is there any hope at this point to assume they didn't just slap that version on discs?

At least, it seems they didn't slap the JP timp flub version on disc (see post by celloman), and I think the Superman-version we hear on Youtube is a different one...? 

7 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

At least, it seems they didn't slap the JP timp flub version on disc (see post by celloman), and I think the Superman-version we hear on Youtube is a different one...? 

I thought @celloman was talking about fixing it for Digital Concert Hall? No telling what DG is going to do/use...

SO I thought it was a great concert. Thanks for all the videos and pics etc. I did notice something though. Was he snubbed by most of the firsts in the Berlin Phil? Those are not (on the whole) the woodwind section of the Berlin. I know them. Piccolo was and I think one of the other oboists took over Cor Anglais. But 90% of the woodwinds were brought in from other orchestras. Same with some of the brass, and 1st horn was not there. Many of the string players were not the same either so what gives? Did they feel that he was not serious enough a composer for them to attend. I was really looking forward to hearing the actual Berlin orchestra in full compliment being conducted by him. Who were those oboists? Clarinets?..... 

Here i have a list of musicians i think i have recognized at the concert.

Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass,  Horn, Trumpet,  Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Drums were well staffed. But Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Harp and Bassoon were not on top. 

Maybe here is someone who can complete the list or delete errors. That would be fine.

Horn:                                                                        

-Sarah Willis

-Georg Schreckenberger

-Johannes Lamotke

-Stefan Jezierski

Clarinet:

-Wenzel Fuchs

-Andraz Golob

Cello:

-Olaf Maninger

-Bruno Delepelaire

-Solene Kermarrec

-Martin Menking

-Stefan Koncz

-David Riniker

Doublebass:

-Janne Saksala

-Michael Karg 

-Stanislaw Pajak 

-Ulrich Wolff 

-Edicson Ruiz

Trumpet:

-Andre Schoch 

-Guillaume Jehl

Oboe:

-Andreas Wittmann 

Violin:

-Maja Avramovic

-Rüdiger Liebermann

-Hande Küden

-Noah Bendix-Balgley

-Helena Madoka Berg

-Sebastian Heesch

-Christophe Horak

-Simon Bernardini

-Philipp Bohnen

-Romano Tomasini

-Alvaro Parra

-Stanley Dodds

-Dorian Xhoxhi

-Raimar Orlovsky

-Angelo de Leo

-Luis Esnaola

-Bettina Sartorius

-Luiz Filip Coelho

-Bastian Schäfer

Viola:

-Amihai Grosz

-Joaquim Riquelme Garcia

-Martin von der Nahmer

-Allan Nilles

-Walter Küssner

-Ulrich Knörzer

-Martin Stegner

-Ignacy Miecznikowski

Trombone:

-Jesper Busk Sorensen

-Olaf Ott

-Thomas Leyendecker

Flute:

-Jelka Weber

Bassoon:

-Markus Weidmann

Tuba:

-Alexander von Puttkamer

Timpani:

-Wieland Welzel

Drums:

-Franz Schindlbeck

-Raphael Haeger

2 hours ago, heritage said:

Here i have a list of musicians i think i have recognized at the concert.

Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass,  Horn, Trumpet,  Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Drums were well staffed. But Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Harp and Bassoon were not on top. 

Maybe here is someone who can complete the list or delete errors. That would be fine.

On 15/10/2021 at 2:22 AM, Fabulin said:

I should mention that the oboe soloist (a young lady with a flaxen hair – later identified as Sofía Zamora Meseguer) was outstanding throughout the concert among the woodwinds.

Do you guys think the list of performers on the DG release will be a correct one?

In the DG release, there are no names of the performers of the BP. In the program sheet of the concert, there are all the names of the complete BP. But not all performers in the program sheet have performed in the concert. The BP have around 128 performers. So some positions are staffed twice. 

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't really care who played, they were all exquisite.

Exactly! But it would still be nice to know why they were missing. 

Exactly! There are many good guitar players out there. But when i book a Clapton show, i want see Clapton and not another excellent unknown guitar player. Or when i book a ticket for the Stones, i want not see an excellent cover band. And so it is with the BP.

But we will never find out, why some good players did not play. I have send a mail to the BP and ask them. They answer only that the BP have around 128 members and not all can play every concert. They change their line up. They have so many programs and concerts, so it is not possible that for example Albrecht Mayer or Emanuel Pahaud  or Stefan Dohr can play every single concert. Some of them have  also solo appearances. 

Seems like a really logical explanation. I don't think the Clapton comparison is fair either. We know that the BP expects great standards from whoever plays. And they delivered. No, they excelled. I don't care that Maxine Kwok isn't playing when I go to see the LSO. Sure, it would be a nice addition, but the LSO is the LSO for me.

26 minutes ago, heritage said:

Exactly! There are many good guitar players out there. But when i book a Clapton show, i want see Clapton and not another excellent unknown guitar player. Or when i book a ticket for the Stones, i want not see an excellent cover band. And so it is with the BP.

But we will never find out, why some good players did not play. I have send a mail to the BP and ask them. They answer only that the BP have around 128 members and not all can play every concert. They change their line up. They have so many programs and concerts, so it is not possible that for example Albrecht Mayer or Emanuel Pahaud  or Stefan Dohr can play every single concert. Some of them have  also solo appearances. 

Not a good comparsion. I went to see John Williams and I got to see him. Your comparsion is more like if Claptons drummer was Steve Gadd or Steve Jordan and not a substitute for the star himself. A big deal for drum nerds but a big deal for most people in attendance.

It should be only an example. When i go to the BP then i want see the BP and not the BP Academy or players from other orchestras. No matter if they are excellent or bad. Otherwise i can go to any orchestra. Thats is the Message from me. 

And it is not the same when JW conduct the BP, LSO, VP, BSO and so on. At least for me...

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't care that Maxine Kwok isn't playing when I go to see the LSO.

Maxine Kwok not playing in an LSO JW concert is just as unlikely as Sarah Willis not playing in the Berlin Philharmonic JW concert.

16 hours ago, crumbs said:

Maybe John asked for younger musicians instead of the veterans?

Something similar happened when he started the new Star Wars films in LA, IIRC.

Never. He has been wanting to conduct the Berlin Phil for a long time and this orchestra consists of world class soloists. What you are saying is akin to going to a 3 michelin star restaurant and ordering from a fantastic burger joint while you are sitting there. Still great, but not what you went to the restaurant for. Their English Horn player, Dominik Wollenweber, is considered the number one player in the world as are both their first oboists, Jonathan Kelly and Albrecht Mayer, not to mention Christophe Hartman, and also their flautists, Mathieu Dufour and Emmanuel Pahud and the always fantastic Andreas Ottensamer on Clarinet or the other players in that section and the bassoons.....  They have 2 principals in each section in case one cannot show up, both not showing up or even the seconds? What? This has never happened..... It is something else and I would love to know what exactly happened. Also when you say you don't care in Maxine isn't there when you go to the LSO, sure because again other members of the LSO are doing it, Here almost half the orchestra were not Berlin Phil members, they were from other orchestras. That's what I am getting at.....

8 hours ago, Steve said:

Not a good comparsion. I went to see John Williams and I got to see him. Your comparsion is more like if Claptons drummer was Steve Gadd or Steve Jordan and not a substitute for the star himself. A big deal for drum nerds but a big deal for most people in attendance.

Yes and no, True with Williams, but when I go to see the Berlin Phil playing Williams, I want those soloists, otherwise it is not the Berlin Phil playing......

20 hours ago, Steve said:

Yes, unfortunately it was the B-Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra in some sections. Someone should have asked Sarah Willis why they all chickened out... Maybe I'll ask her on Facebook.

But many of the players were not in the Berlin Phil, A B or C.... They were from other orchestras. For ALL the oboe section not to be there minus one maybe who took over the English Horn part instead? Same with other sections. What gives?

Yes, you have understand. I agree to 100%

No Mayer, Wollenweber, Dohr, Ottensamer, Pahaud, Kashimoto, Kelly, Gössling, Hartmann, Dufour and others is not the BP as we know it. It is a BP B-Orchestra. Thats fact. Because  these are the Stars of that orchestra.

29 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Also when you say you don't care in Maxine isn't there when you go to the LSO, sure because again other members of the LSO are doing it, Here almost half the orchestra were not Berlin Phil members, they were from other orchestras. That's what I am getting at.....

I think you're mixing me up with someone there, I made no comment about Maxine or the LSO.

It's also possible there might have been COVID complications, just speculating.

I have read, that this is a long problem of the BP. When you conduct your first concert with them, they play never in their best Formation. Then it does no matter whether it is JW or someone else. That is like a Ritual of the BP. 

But maybe someone can ask Sarah Willis why they did not play in their best Formation. Maybe she has another answer...

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Well, I loved how I could still hear that Karajan sound in the strings during harry's Wondrous World. Most surreal transition from Quidditch to Harry ever.

You mean that great ritardando? That was so striking and everything else than routine conducting.

17 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

slight timing/synchrony issue with the Glockenspiel on Saturday

That's a big problem in major orchestras. Also "Yoda's Theme" was quite shaky from the Glockenspiel on saturday.

BTW: I compared the three Williams pieces from the Waldbühne 2015 concert with Simon Rattle conducting (including the principal members) to this year's concert. This year's performance was soo much better.