John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

Hi,

On January 2 DG will broadcast the Berlin concert without cuts: https://www.dg-premium.com/dg_stage_video/john-williams-the-berlin-concert/

"This stream features the unabridged concert, complete with all tracks & encores, moderations, and introductions by John Williams" (available until January 9)

1 hour ago, OMATRES said:

Hi,

On January 2 DG will broadcast the Berlin concert without cuts: https://www.dg-premium.com/dg_stage_video/john-williams-the-berlin-concert/

"This stream features the unabridged concert, complete with all tracks & encores, moderations, and introductions by John Williams" (available until January 9)

58 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

So maybe it's this version of the "DCH" that will be on the Bluray

I wouldn’t bet against it.

"Superman March" has been released already (digitally), still have to wait for the full album, as you know. sounds perfect so far!

Question: How did they manage to make the applause at the end inaudible? I read somewhere here that they didn't make any re-recordings because JW was too "tired". Is that true, or what was it like?

32 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

"Superman March" has been released already (digitally), still have to wait for the full album, as you know. sounds perfect so far!

Question: How did they manage to make the applause at the end inaudible? I read somewhere here that they didn't make any re-recordings because JW was too "tired". Is that true, or what was it like?

It was an european concert, so people behaved quite well and applauded only when the pieces were finished. Unlike in america where it seems everyone wants to be the first to applaud.

So it was no problem to mix it without noises.

4 minutes ago, Steve said:

It was an european concert, so people behaved quite well and applauded only when the pieces were finished. Unlike in america where it seems everyone wants to be the first to applaud.

mostly.jpg

Due to the cost of studio recordings, live recordings have become standard in the classical recording industry, especially for full orchestras. DG and other major labels have gotten very good at cutting out unwanted noise.

I just love this concert, I was there. I can't stop watching solo timpani Wieland wonderful playing and his facial expressions and contact with John, priceless. Comparing to those first violin fiddlers on the fourth desk, so bored and must hate JW.

Screenshot_20211223-155222.jpg

Also, Happy New Year everyone ;)

Aww, man. I only saw this now. Is there going to be a repeat broadcast of this so I can record it?

I'm only just in time to watch The Imperial March now. I assume they will forego broadcasting the twenty minute standing ovation. 

EDIT: I don't think I've ever heard the piano this prominently mixed into the Imperial March. Interesting.

6 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Aww, man. I only saw this now. Is there going to be a repeat broadcast of this so I can record it?

I'm only just in time to watch The Imperial March now. I assume they will forego broadcasting the twenty minute standing ovation. 

EDIT: I don't think I've ever heard the piano this prominently mixed into the Imperial March. Interesting.

You can watch it on BBC iplayer I think. 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

And their tracklist is missing the speeches. Wonder if this is good news or not.

Album The Berlin Concert, John Williams by Berliner Philharmoniker | Qobuz : téléchargez et streamez en haute qualité

I would think this means that the digital release will have applause removed and no speeches, while the physical release(s ?) will be similar to the "Live Edition" for the Vienna album, so complete with introductions and applause. If there is somewhere a tracklist of the physical releases with track duration, we could compare. This would mean they improved on what they did for the Vienna release, where all the Mutter tracks are not available without applause (as was discussed here earlier I think). So if this is the case you now have the choice which "experience" you want (or combine them if you like), which is good.

I have a question that I haven't seen any info on since this was announced, but I can't claim to have read every post either. Do any of the announced releases contain "re-recorded" passages? As in for the first single disc Vienna concert release, DG said that Williams and the orchestra recorded some bars of music here and there after the concerts to be mixed in where necessary to edit over any flubs or noise, etc?

Thanks!

I think all we know is that they planned some pickup session, but it never went ahead. I wouldn't really worry about it anyway since they didn't need to re-record anything in the first place in this case. It was all great.