John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

I don't know how anybody here would know the answer to that question

None of us have heard the new album yut

31 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I think all we know is that they planned some pickup session, but it never went ahead. I wouldn't really worry about it anyway since they didn't need to re-record anything in the first place in this case. It was all great.

Yes, Sarah Willis said it in the Legacy Conversations Video at 27:50 https://youtu.be/7j3miZqq16M?t=1668

Wow... They really didn't fix the obvious cracked trumpet note at 3:45? That's very disappointing. I heard it way back on the original Saturday broadcast and figured it would surely get fixed for the commercial release.

? I'm not hearing it on the OST, nor on any other recording of the piece... Berlin sounds like a textbook example of a cracked note to me.

In concert pitch, the descending notes should be G-F-E, but the Berlin recording sounds like A-F-E, with the trumpet overshooting the first note.

EDIT: Yeah, the score has G-F-E. There's a Bb at that moment, but nobody has an A. It's too bad.

5 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Get over what? I'm a professional horn player. I'm more than well aware that "sh*t happens," and I'm not faulting the players at all. I thought they overall sounded fantastic, and I can't wait for the album. But this is a high-profile Deutsche Grammophon recording, and they had 3 concerts and probably 2 or 3 rehearsals to draw from, when constructing the album.

Editing out flubs happens all the time for modern album releases; it's not unreasonable to have heard the live Saturday broadcast months ago and hoped that they would have gone with/patched in a different take for this one. I'm not sure how the fact that "it was a brutal show for the trumpets" is relevant to my point.

Who says DG means quality? They released that awful Star Wars Main Title recording from Vienna too.

9 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

The brutal part refers to the missed note itself. Guy was obviously a bit tired. No big deal. But I agree that they probably had the means to fix it artificially, but somehow didn’t.

Perhaps they decided that the take with the faulty note was still overall the best?

19 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps they decided that the take with the faulty note was still overall the best?

A good editor would be able to retain the take and replace that note – but tbh, I somehow hadn’t noticed it until it was pointed out here.

2 hours ago, Remco said:

A good editor would be able to retain the take and replace that note – but tbh, I somehow hadn’t noticed it until it was pointed out here.

Without potentially making an awkward cut in the track if it's just for one brief moment? I'm not expert on this, but I know they can be heard on some recordings (and others are far better at noticing them than I am - apparently parts of the Dudamel album are full of poorly done transitions). And keep in mind that these are live performances that might be different each day, not subsequent studio takes that were deliberately made to be edited together.

On 13/01/2022 at 4:43 AM, Tydirium said:

Get over what? I'm a professional horn player. I'm more than well aware that "sh*t happens," and I'm not faulting the players at all. I thought they overall sounded fantastic, and I can't wait for the album. But this is a high-profile Deutsche Grammophon recording, and they had 3 concerts and probably 2 or 3 rehearsals to draw from, when constructing the album.

Editing out flubs happens all the time for modern album releases; it's not unreasonable to have heard the live Saturday broadcast months ago and hoped that they would have gone with/patched in a different take for this one. I'm not sure how the fact that "it was a brutal show for the trumpets" is relevant to my point.

You are a professional horn player and this bothers you that much? Seriously? You are a little bit angry. I understand you like it supposed to be perfect in the CD but this is a live recording, wonderful that it sounds like it. Most important is that these concerts happened, this and the one in Vienna. I heard that there was mistakes also. Oh dear. 

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Without potentially making an awkward cut in the track if it's just for one brief moment? I'm not expert on this, but I know they can be heard on some recordings (and others are far better at noticing them than I am - apparently parts of the Dudamel album are full of poorly done transitions). And keep in mind that these are live performances that might be different each day, not subsequent studio takes that were deliberately made to be edited together.

It's surely possible, however, what I kind of forgot is that it is way harder to do edits when the music has to be synced with video. And since the audio release has to be identical to the video release, that's probably why they couldn't do many crazy edits (same with Vienna).

On 14/01/2022 at 6:29 PM, Sibelius6 said:

You are a professional horn player and this bothers you that much? Seriously? You are a little bit angry. I understand you like it supposed to be perfect in the CD but this is a live recording, wonderful that it sounds like it. Most important is that these concerts happened, this and the one in Vienna. I heard that there was mistakes also. Oh dear. 

I'm a little bit confused by your response, and I didn't even expect to still see people talking about this a few days later. Honestly, I think you've misunderstood me, and that you for some reason think that it bothers me way more than it actually does... I'm actually not "angry" about it at all; at the time I simply said I was disappointed that this didn't get fixed for the album.

My comment that you quote-replied to was in response to someone who for some reason got very defensive on behalf of the trumpets (which I didn't even have a problem with, and I thought their playing was fantastic; mistakes happen!), as though I didn't realize that JW's music is difficult & taxing for brass players. Of course I realize that. So I wasn't sure why I was being told to "get over" the fact one of them made a mistake, when I didn't even have a problem with the fact that the mistake was made. It seemed like the other user was personally upset at me based on a misunderstanding.

I even said that I can't wait for the album; it's not like this one flub is going to keep me from enjoying it. Just as I enjoy (and haven't really criticized much if at all) the Vienna album, while others here have been way more vocal in their criticisms of that, than I have by simply pointing out this one flub.

All I was saying is that it's a bummer that this mistake was left in the album release—since it's not exactly a random flub on a technical accompaniment passage, but rather is part of the melody. My only beef was that the editing team didn't take care of it before release, as I thought it might have been possible to fix it. I'm pretty much over it.

So, I'm a little bit puzzled by your comment, which comes across as a bit hostile; not sure what I did to warrant it, considering that I'm not angry at anyone here, or even DG. At the time I simply thought I'd point out that the flub hadn't been fixed, which was a bit of a bummer. Not sure why I was told by the other guy to "get over it" (again, the comment you replied to was me defending myself), and not really sure why you replied the way you did, either...

It doesn't bother me a fraction of the amount you think it does.

The only thing that is actually bothering me at the moment is your comment—and a few days ago, the other guy's—which I feel are both based on a misunderstanding. Sorry, but it's getting a little frustrating to see people misunderstanding and blowing my comments out of proportion.

19 hours ago, Tydirium said:

I'm a little bit confused by your response, and I didn't even expect to still see people talking about this a few days later. Honestly, I think you've misunderstood me, and that you for some reason think that it bothers me way more than it actually does... I'm actually not "angry" about it at all; at the time I simply said I was disappointed that this didn't get fixed for the album.

My comment that you quote-replied to was in response to someone who for some reason got very defensive on behalf of the trumpets (which I didn't even have a problem with, and I thought their playing was fantastic; mistakes happen!), as though I didn't realize that JW's music is difficult & taxing for brass players. Of course I realize that. So I wasn't sure why I was being told to "get over" the fact one of them made a mistake, when I didn't even have a problem with the fact that the mistake was made. It seemed like the other user was personally upset at me based on a misunderstanding.

I even said that I can't wait for the album; it's not like this one flub is going to keep me from enjoying it. Just as I enjoy (and haven't really criticized much if at all) the Vienna album, while others here have been way more vocal in their criticisms of that, than I have by simply pointing out this one flub.

All I was saying is that it's a bummer that this mistake was left in the album release—since it's not exactly a random flub on a technical accompaniment passage, but rather is part of the melody. My only beef was that the editing team didn't take care of it before release, as I thought it might have been possible to fix it. I'm pretty much over it.

So, I'm a little bit puzzled by your comment, which comes across as a bit hostile; not sure what I did to warrant it, considering that I'm not angry at anyone here, or even DG. At the time I simply thought I'd point out that the flub hadn't been fixed, which was a bit of a bummer. Not sure why I was told by the other guy to "get over it" (again, the comment you replied to was me defending myself), and not really sure why you replied the way you did, either...

It doesn't bother me a fraction of the amount you think it does.

The only thing that is actually bothering me at the moment is your comment—and a few days ago, the other guy's—which I feel are both based on a misunderstanding. Sorry, but it's getting a little frustrating to see people misunderstanding and blowing my comments out of proportion.

Sorry if I misread your post and sounded hostile, that wasn't my goal. I was just curious about that case. Peace.

Pasi- an other pro horn player

Any other US residents find it strange that Amazon US still only has the CD edition up, and not the Blu Ray / CD combo?

Question for any Americans reading this, are you hoping it'll eventually show up on Amazon US, or have you decided to purchase from another vendor instead?  If so, which one and how much was it?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Any other US residents find it strange that Amazon US still only has the CD edition up, and not the Blu Ray / CD combo?

Question for any Americans reading this, are you hoping it'll eventually show up on Amazon US, or have you decided to purchase from another vendor instead?  If so, which one and how much was it?

I purchased it back in December 2021 via Classical Center Stage Store which is a direct link from DG. The total was $31.92. Pre-order is already charged, and it will ship on February 4.

Thank you, I think I'll do the same

https://classical.centerstagestore.com/collections/john-williams/products/john-williams-the-berlin-concert-2cd-blu-ray-deluxe-edition

EDIT: Wow, it was more expensive for me for some reason

image.png

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

You’re welcome. I’m surprised you still have not pre-ordered it yet.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

https://classical.centerstagestore.com/collections/john-williams/products/john-williams-the-berlin-concert-2cd-blu-ray-deluxe-edition

image.png

It was originally $21.23 when I ordered it, plus $8.60 in shipping, $.30 for FL county tax and $1.79 for FL state tax.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I also think I'll do the same as we are in the same boat here in Canada with Amazon. Thanks for the posting the link @JohnnyD!

23 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm sure as soon as enough of us buy it elsewhere, it'll show up on Amazon for cheaper :)

That's pretty much how it works :) I just want to ensure I get one and not for the $140+ prices I'm seeing for CAD elsewhere. 

I couldn't resist ordering the glossy jewel-case-formatted Japanese edition with extra postcard(s).

Expensive - I know.

undefined

CDJapan : John Williams Live in Berlin (Deluxe Edition) [2Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)+Blu-ray] [Limited Edition] John Williams (conductor) CD Album

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, but I can still buy every film I want on DVD. They're clearly still selling.

Surely those films sell thousands of copies, either on Blu-ray or DVD.

The same can't really be said about a concert like this.

18 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, but I can still buy every film I want on DVD. They're clearly still selling.

In all honesty, it's getting harder and harder to find physical media in the Benelux, particularly older catalogue titles. I've been importing my Blurays of older films I want to own from the UK and Germany more and more over the last year.