John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

6 hours ago, toothless said:

My copy of the Blu-ray shipped but the gold vinyl didn’t.

Which vinyl are you awaiting? The small or the large one?

The large one is due 29.04.2022.

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

How come they never offer 5.1 files for download, though?

Some sites do offer music at 5.0 or 5.1 FLAC. These tend to come from companies that also release their music in SACD format (The London Symphony Orchestra is a good example). (Probably because basically the work is already complete in multiple channel.)

HDTracks has started offering some of this material in multichannel, as does NativeDSD.com.

(Here's the NativeDSD albums in 5.0 - over 1000! - https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/?filter_channel=5ch)

As to why DG does not make their files available this way (as of now), my guess is that they know the market is relatively niche for home multichannel playback. DG has been releasing 5 channel and Atmos mixes on Apple Music and Tidal likely assuming playback will be on streaming devices in a TV multiple speaker environment. So, maybe for sale versions will be following someday from DG since they are preparing the files for their releases. 

Fortunately, it is relatively easy to extract the multichannel mixes from the Blu-ray audio discs. For me, I do a two step process to back up the BRA disc and then one to convert the files to Flac. But admittedly, I would prefer to just download the files without the extra work.

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

How come they never offer 5.1 files for download, though?

"Released digitally and on 2 CDs, John Williams – The Berlin Concert is available in a limited deluxe edition (2 CDs + 2 Blu-ray discs), including a breathtaking Dolby Atmos sound mix – both video and audio only – as well as a Surround 5.1 version. A limited gold vinyl 7-inch disc featuring the “Superman March” and “Harry’s Wondrous World” from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone will be available exclusively from 4 February. A limited 180g vinyl edition (2 LPs) of the album will come out on 29 April, with an exclusive gold vinyl version released the same day."

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/the-berlin-concert-john-williams-standard-edition-12559

9 minutes ago, din_zav said:

"Released digitally and on 2 CDs, John Williams – The Berlin Concert is available in a limited deluxe edition (2 CDs + 2 Blu-ray discs), including a breathtaking Dolby Atmos sound mix – both video and audio only – as well as a Surround 5.1 version. A limited gold vinyl 7-inch disc featuring the “Superman March” and “Harry’s Wondrous World” from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone will be available exclusively from 4 February. A limited 180g vinyl edition (2 LPs) of the album will come out on 29 April, with an exclusive gold vinyl version released the same day."

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/the-berlin-concert-john-williams-standard-edition-12559

The Atmos and 5.1 mix is limited to the physical copies only. There are, as far as I know, no digital-only 5.1 streams or purchases. (At least as of now.) 

8 hours ago, lairdo said:

The Atmos and 5.1 mix is limited to the physical copies only. There are, as far as I know, no digital-only 5.1 streams or purchases. (At least as of now.) 

The album on Apple Music streams in Atmos 🙂

DDDF1298-BDE8-47C6-89EB-313968BF4ABC.jpeg

Interesting... I gave up my Apple Music subscription so I don't see their Atmos mixes. So you could buy it from there too - but not in lossless Dolby Almos or 5.1 format.

The physical CD+BR Deluxe Edition has a sticker saying it is the only version with 5.1 sound. Either they mean the only physical copy with 5.1/Atmos or the digital people are not speaking to the physical people.

On 11/02/2022 at 10:27 PM, Steve said:

The album is no. 1 in the german album charts! It's the first no. 1 album for DG. 

A first for the Berliner Philharmoniker, too.

https://www.br-klassik.de/aktuell/news-kritik/john-williams-an-der-spitze-der-deutschen-album-charts-102.html

2 minutes ago, toothless said:

So they could at least add some padding in the light cardboard envelope they use to ship these internationally…

339F335F-B0FD-47BE-A886-F9BEFCFE3F92.jpeg

Bummer. Better order from Europadisc or Presto Music - they ship in corrugated cardboard boxes with bublewrap inside.

Anyway, you should email them and ask for a replacement with sturdier packaging.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:35 PM, heritage said:

Sensationel. German Music Album Charts: For the first time in their history Williams, DG and Berliner Philharmoniker at 1. Look here

https://www.offiziellecharts.de/charts/album

The Williams Vienna Album was already a sensationel 6th place. And now with Berlin at 1...

On 14/2/2022 at 3:41 AM, BB-8 said:

On 14/2/2022 at 4:32 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

This is phenomenal and well-deserved, though not very surprising.

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

Norman Lebrech must be having a mental breakdown

Neither Furtwängler nor von Karajan were to achieve such a success.

Von Karajan was trying hard with a digital Alpensinfonie and The Planets, which was considered exotic repertoire back then.

Not even Bernstein's own West Side Story on DG would attract so much attention.

1 hour ago, Lord Montague said:

Now with the money earned from Vienna and Berlin albums, DG surely can finance a lot of musically interesting but less popular productions. Why not start with John William's concert works. And without combining them always with film themes "candy". DG kind of owes him, to show him the full respect as a composer. The 2nd violin concerto is a promising beginning.

Yeah, like Symphony No. 1 with LSO and Mirga.

On 14/02/2022 at 4:37 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Anyway, you should email them and ask for a replacement with sturdier packaging.

I did on Monday and just got an answer.

Hello,

thank you for your message.

We regret reading that you received the item in bad condition and apologise.

We placed an new order free of charge and will reship the item as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Your Universal Music Service Team

10 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Von Karajan was trying hard with a digital Alpensinfonie and The Planets, which was considered exotic repertoire back then.

Well, Karajan's Alpensinfonie was DG's first ever CD release, if I recall correctly. A shame he never recorded it in the 70s along with his other Strauss repertoire (I find all those recordings superior to his digital remakes). But what we really need is a regular release of his Salzburger live performance with the Wiener Philharmoniker.

4 hours ago, eitam said:

Crazy ! What's next, DG opens a John Williams - themed park ?

Why not? If it breaks down, Williams doesn't eat the tourists.