John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

I have been waiting 25 years for Williams to record the Far and Away suite.  Perfect performance.  

Yes. They edited out the oboe flub nicely 😉

It was my favourite piece of the concert. Has been a personal favourite for years now.

Agreed, though I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't use the Saturday recording  of the love theme statement on trumpets in C major. The way they are just a fraction of a second too late when going to A minor is just so beautiful.

21 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Agreed, though I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't use the Saturday recording  of the love theme statement on trumpets in C major. The way they are just a fraction of a second too late when going to A minor is just so beautiful.

Can you mark the time stamps in the audio please?

11 minutes ago, rough cut said:

What’s annoying about the ‘signed fan item’ is that some rando will probably win it and we’ll never find out what it is.

And the offspring of that rando will wonder what this item with an ink squiggle is used for. He will ask another rando who suggest throwing it in the next dust bin.

With some luck, however, it may show up on ebay.

11 hours ago, E-Wan said:

Thanks! So 10 releases ;D Added it into my previous post:

I guess I never mentioned it in this thread, but I did order the Blu Ray edition and the Deluxe/Digipak Edition from Presto Music back on February 8th.

I got a shipping email on February 18th, and the Blu Ray edition just arrived in today's mail!

Also on an 18th, I got an email saying the Deluxe/Digipak edition was delayed, and haven't gotten any updates about that since.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I guess I never mentioned it in this thread, but I did order the Blu Ray edition and the Deluxe/Digipak Edition from Presto Music back on February 8th.

I got a shipping email on February 18th, and the Blu Ray edition just arrive in today's mail!

Also on an 18th, I got an email saying the Deluxe/Digipak edition was delayed, and haven't gotten any updates about that since.

I have a spare one here. In case you never receive it I could donate it.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I'll probably just end up cancelling that order; I already received the jewel case version from Amazon, which I prefer over the digipak anyway.

Thanks again!

Like Jay, I just received my Blu Ray set from Presto yesterday.  I'm ripping the discs now.

Forgive my ignorance, but in the original post, does "moderations" refer to the audience applause?  Am I understanding it that the only way to get the recording with the applause edited out is the digital download?

I'm doing some catch up... The Vienna concert had CDs of both applause and "applause-free", correct?

On 25/02/2022 at 8:22 PM, Hedji said:

Forgive my ignorance, but in the original post, does "moderations" refer to the audience applause?

No, his speeches 

Am I understanding it that the only way to get the recording with the applause edited out is the digital download?

Yep

I'm doing some catch up... The Vienna concert had CDs of both applause and "applause-free", correct?

Yea.

John Williams In Vienna has no applause or Williams taking, and cuts the Mutter pieces that were already on Across The Stars to fit on one disc. 

Johm Williams Live In Vienna has the entire concert with nothing cut, and includes applause and Williams talking, so now takes two discs. 

36 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

How expensive we talking? Asking for a friend…

$80 shipping included, but I could easily bought both FIDDLER ON THE ROOF and  STAR TREK:TMP 2CD in this amount.(From Arksquare- great customer service there ( ask for Hajimi san..)

Well I got my c.d. from the UK. Nice to finally have something not packaged in  a cheap cardboard digipak but an actual jewel case (arrived intact)

I'm getting a  bit confused by all the releases...2 c.d. japan thing, blu ray, no applause version...

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Well I got my c.d. from the UK. Nice to finally have something not packaged in  a cheap cardboard digipak but an actual jewel case (arrived intact)

I'm getting a  bit confused by all the releases...2 c.d. japan thing, blu ray, no applause version...

Wait, no applause version

EDIT:  Found it. It's the 92-minute download-only option, right?

Karol

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, it is. Basically:

Digital download: no applause and speeches

Blu-Ray: applause and speeches, though edited quite badly

Blu-Ray Audio and CD: applause and speeches, also edited badly, and reduced applause

The perfect release: doesn't exist

We could basically have Blu-ray with speeches and applause and "clean" CD album. But no. 😄

Karol

14 hours ago, BB-8 said:

It's strange that the limited golden vinyl editions are not sold out yet.

Will these be without applause but with pops and crackles?

I'm seriously considering to go vinyl.

Don't. You might go whine L. 😂 

PS. its a joke- no issue if you dont get it @BB-8

19 hours ago, crocodile said:

We could basically have Blu-ray with speeches and applause and "clean" CD album. But no. 😄

Karol

I was also quite surprised they didn't put the clean audio on the CD. They must have erroneously thought the "Live" Vienna version was superior and this time just put that on CD (even though the accompanying BD has it)?

Has anyone who ordered the Blu Ray received their shipping notification yet?  Was supposed to be delivered today but mine has not yet shipped.

Did the Blu Ray version finally show up on Amazon US? I ordered from Presto because I got sick of waiting for it to show up there

$33, not bad

To get it from Presto I paid $23.50 + $11.30 shipping, although that shipping price was because the order included the deluxe digipak audio version as well

The yellow labelled Blu-ray Edition is now showing up in the DG store.

Looking back, I think I would have preferred to just have the audio CD and the Blu-ray separately, because I really don't need the pure audio Blu-ray.

Well, at least we early birds were treated to limited gold-foil labels!

The Berlin Concert von John Williams / Berliner Philharmoniker - 2 BluRay jetzt im Deutsche Grammophon Store

Oh interesting - yea, that would have been my preference to - an tall digipak with just the blu rays, since I have the CDs on a different shelf with, you know, the rest of my CDs.

Stupid DG.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh interesting - yea, that would have been my preference to - an tall digipak with just the blu rays, since I have the CDs on a different shelf with, you know, the rest of my CDs.

Stupid DG.

That said, the Japanese double jewel case currently looks like the most satisfactory edition - space-wise (not price-wise).

And I'm also beginning to think that I could do without the applause after every piece.

I therefore may be going vinyl, and then probably mental as soon as I detect the first scratch.

All of my CDs are down in the basement, along with every super-deluxe-collector’s edition even if it was recently bought.

Except Vienna and Berlin. They’re on my movie shelf. They look nice together. I’ll keep them there for a while, me thinks.