John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

I wonder if he will do a second show again in Berlin. It seems Williams is still full of energy and willing the travel overseas😄

2 hours ago, JTGL said:

I wonder if he will do a second show again in Berlin. It seems Williams is still full of energy and willing the travel overseas😄

Even though I am from Berlin I would say, Berlin hardly deserves that much attention by Williams. Even though the concerts were great. But Milano, Budapest, Prague, Buenos Aires, Oslo would probably love to get a concert from him as well.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

What about London? I'll go to London!

I'm surprised they haven't retried London after the "failed" 2018 concert.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm surprised they haven't retried London after the "failed" 2018 concert.

That was the conversation in the bar this evening; why hasn’t it happened yet?  No date aligning for the RAH, LSO and JW? 

59 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

conversation in the bar this evening

Oh nice - what bar was it? How many of you were there? Just asking - will be in Vienna in two weeks and might trace your steps... ;)

7 hours ago, Martinland said:

Oh nice - what bar was it? How many of you were there? Just asking - will be in Vienna in two weeks and might trace your steps... ;)

https://www.gasthauspöschl.com

Recommended!

And you were mentioned actually in the Musikverein yesterday!  We sat very close to where your family sat and I mentioned that to my friend. 

Not sure if it was posted already and I'm not sure when it happened but the CD of the Berlin album is available on Amazon US non-import now finally, but the blu-ray is still import, but pretty heavily discounted at least.  Guess I'm finally buying this

CD

https://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Concert-2-CD/dp/B09KN2N3F4

Blu-ray

https://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Concert-Deluxe-2CD-Blu-Ray/dp/B09KN2QCP4

I'm sure this was covered before, but are these blu-ray discs region locked?  Would my Xbox play them?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Not sure if it was posted already and I'm not sure when it happened

At some point prior to this post:

On 03/02/2022 at 7:52 PM, Tom said:

Reasonably priced US Amazon version of CD 2 pack:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KN2N3F4

but the CD of the Berlin album is available on Amazon US non-import now finally

CD

https://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Concert-2-CD/dp/B09KN2N3F4

I ordered this exact version from Amazon and it is the jewel case version with yellow title block despite what the picture shows:

On 04/02/2022 at 2:43 PM, Jay said:

My physical copy just arrived from Amazon.

I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KN2N3F4

And it's a yellow title block edition.... IN A JEWEL CASE

front.jpg

back.jpg

, but the blu-ray is still import, but pretty heavily discounted at least.  Guess I'm finally buying this

Blu-ray

https://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Concert-Deluxe-2CD-Blu-Ray/dp/B09KN2QCP4

I'm sure this was covered before, but are these blu-ray discs region locked?  Would my Xbox play them?

Completely region free, will play fine in all your players

I sincerely appreciate all of the reviews and information of this concert. Ordered the Deluxe Edition from Amazon.com. Shipped from the UK and arrived here (in Ohio) in only seven days! Not the sturdiest packaging but arrived in pretty good shape (no broken plastic) and this was the best option for me (really wanted all of the CD's and the Blu-ray. Not sure I needed the Blu-ray audio but that was a bonus. 

Nearly finished disc one. The performances are still out of this world. The tuning is absent for no good reason at all and, well, the speeches. But I do want to say that the mix is actually much better on CD. Maybe it's my computer, but the Blu-Ray's emphasis on the piano is just stupid. This sounds much more balanced. The break between discs is idiotic too.

• 1 month later...

I wonder what they are planning for the 2nd Vienna concert.

We may expect a strictly limited edition or even an auction of the master lacquer disc signed by ASM (but not JW because he only uses a Bleistift, ja...ja).

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

I wonder what they are planning for the 2nd Vienna concert.

We may expect a strictly limited edition or even an auction of the master lacquer disc signed by ASM (but not JW because he only uses a Bleistift, ja...ja).

Yeah that will be interesting to see. I also expect this as Mastercut Vinyl (377€ is the price of the editions on sale...so I will happily pass...). And then probably as CD and digital?

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/1/2022 at 4:04 AM, Amer said:

Im curious if they will do a SACD edition?

I wrote back at the time that since DG was making a Blu-ray audio-only part of their release, the SACD was less likely. However, I was wrong and Japan is getting a Limited Edition SACD on June 3, 2022 - same day as the Violin Concerto No. 2 (which is not YET in SACD format). Here's the link for CD Japan.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGG-9211

3 hours ago, lairdo said:

I wrote back at the time that since DG was making a Blu-ray audio-only part of their release, the SACD was less likely. However, I was wrong and Japan is getting a Limited Edition SACD on June 3, 2022 - same day as the Violin Concerto No. 2 (which is not YET in SACD format). Here's the link for CD Japan.

Any info whether this will be with or without the speeches and applause?

Don"t really see the need for a SACD including the edited "ambient noise".

7 hours ago, lairdo said:

Thanks- although the Blu ray music disc is pretty good on its own.... but I will look it up.

5 hours ago, Amer said:

Thanks- although the Blu ray music disc is pretty good on its own.... but I will look it up.

I completely agree; this is really for completists only. The Blu-ray really is better in terms of having the stereo and surround mixes + Atmos too. I assume the entire concert was mastered at 24/192 so the higher rate of the DSD files might just be upsampled. SACD is still popular in Japan though, and the Blu-ray audio disc assumes you have a display connected. Some people have audio only listening set ups (as I do in my office actually). Then there are nutty people like me outside Japan who just enjoy SACD as a format. 

8 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Any info whether this will be with or without the speeches and applause?

Don"t really see the need for a SACD including the edited "ambient noise".

My guess is that it is the exact same content as the CD - edited concert with speeches but no orchestra tuning as on the video release. Really, I think they they are just taking their Hi Res Blu-ray audio PCM & DTS 5.1 Masters and converting to SACD format (stereo and multichannel). 

I suspect that because the album has done so well around the world that there was enough interest for DG Japan to request the additional release. I think the timing on June 3 is a bit odd since they are also releasing Violin Concert No. 2 that day, but maybe they think that people might buy both. (But VC2 is not in a SACD format.)

Anyway, whatever gets the Maestro's music into people's hands, ears and hearts is fine with me!

Their  VIENNA set was only Stereo but I’m hoping to get the Multi Channel sound mix on this SACD. That would be cool. I’ll probably still get it.

11 hours ago, Amer said:

Their  VIENNA set was only Stereo but I’m hoping to get the Multi Channel sound mix on this SACD. That would be cool. I’ll probably still get it.

Oh, I forgot that Vienna was just stereo. That does make me think we will only get stereo here too. The CDJapan site does not have any details yet, and Tower Records Japan does not list the disc at all. 

17 hours ago, lairdo said:

Oh, I forgot that Vienna was just stereo. That does make me think we will only get stereo here too. The CDJapan site does not have any details yet, and Tower Records Japan does not list the disc at all. 

What is this about? Vienna recording (first concert in 2020) was published by DG in Stereo, Surround and 3D Dolby Atmos mixes.

On 17/5/2022 at 11:59 PM, Lord Montague said:

What is this about? Vienna recording (first concert in 2020) was published by DG in Stereo, Surround and 3D Dolby Atmos mixes.

This is referring just to the Japanese SACD version and our speculating on the newly announced Berlin Philharmonic concert coming to SACD on June 3. See my post at 8:04 pm PDT May 15 for the start of the discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a copy of this (German only):

Cinema Musica Ausgabe 47 Cover

• Special zu John Williams
John Williams
8 John Williams Konzertwerke
12 Das Hedwig’s Theme
16 John Williams und Robert Altman
19 Catch Me If You Can
20 Der Patriot
23 „Ikonografie in
John Williams’ Filmmusik“
28 Johnny’s Wild Side
34 John Williams in Berlin

Cinema Musica 47 (2022) | Cinema Musica

On 19/05/2022 at 6:04 PM, lairdo said:

This is referring just to the Japanese SACD version and our speculating on the newly announced Berlin Philharmonic concert coming to SACD on June 3. See my post at 8:04 pm PDT May 15 for the start of the discussion.

Here is the Japanese SACD edition unboxing @lairdo@lairdo

It's Stereo.. 

I'm sorry if it's been discussed previously in this thread, but I found the compression of the regular CD so excessive it is incomprehensible to me that DG could issue the album as it is.

Just 27 seconds into the first track (Olympic fanfare...) were enough to notice something was off. I felt so confused by the muddy loud parts that I had to rip it to look at the sound wave. As you can see, it shows abundant compression, while maintaining a wide dynamic range (this is the Imperial March). But doesn't seem too bad from afar.

image.png

However, on closer inspection, the flat summits and valleys are all around in the louder moments. 

image.png

That extreme compression can be found in every track. It's such a shame, because it's an extraordinary album, I love the performance, and of course such a meaningful historic event. I have experienced compression with DG releases before, but never at this level. I am very dissapointed.

Those of you who have listened to the other versions (DVD, vinyl) have experienced this too?

8 hours ago, Amer said:

Here is the Japanese SACD edition unboxing @lairdo@lairdo

It's Stereo.. 

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Even so, I ordered it. Will arrive on Thursday.

Now we'll see if Violin Concerto No. 2 gets the SACD treatment too. (I am guessing perhaps at the same time as the Blu-ray release.)

By the way, Atmos mix on Tidal is quite nice. Not overly aggressive in the surrounds, but still atmospheric. I assume the Apple Music version is the same mix and likely that is what we will get on the Blu-ray too.

1 hour ago, lairdo said:

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Even so, I ordered it. Will arrive on Thursday.

Now we'll see if Violin Concerto No. 2 gets the SACD treatment too. (I am guessing perhaps at the same time as the Blu-ray release.)

By the way, Atmos mix on Tidal is quite nice. Not overly aggressive in the surrounds, but still atmospheric. I assume the Apple Music version is the same mix and likely that is what we will get on the Blu-ray too.

My only peeve is that they didn't replicate the Multi Channel mixlayer on the SACD -they could easily do that that using blu ray audio which has the wonderful dolby Atmos split. Oh well, hope to grab this month end . You now how quickly these run out and into the hands of Ebay/secondary market speculators..

The Violin Concerto Cd would be nice to on SACD! 

OFF TOPIC: But Mobile Fidelity is issuing Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' in a new remastered SACD in November!  (Stereo) Now that's a keeper!

14 hours ago, Madmartigan JC said:

I'm sorry if it's been discussed previously in this thread, but I found the compression of the regular CD so excessive it is incomprehensible to me that DG could issue the album as it is.

Just 27 seconds into the first track (Olympic fanfare...) were enough to notice something was off. I felt so confused by the muddy loud parts that I had to rip it to look at the sound wave. As you can see, it shows abundant compression, while maintaining a wide dynamic range (this is the Imperial March). But doesn't seem too bad from afar.

image.png

However, on closer inspection, the flat summits and valleys are all around in the louder moments. 

image.png

That extreme compression can be found in every track. It's such a shame, because it's an extraordinary album, I love the performance, and of course such a meaningful historic event. I have experienced compression with DG releases before, but never at this level. I am very dissapointed.

Those of you who have listened to the other versions (DVD, vinyl) have experienced this too?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the surround mix on the Blu-ray seems even worse, at least in 5.1 (I have no Atmos). Not sure if it's a result of the compression or additional balancing problems, but the acoustics are very different from what the concert sounded like in the Philharmonie, and in many tracks (e.g. Throne Room), the piano is so prominent that the music almost sounds like a piano concerto (with a lousy piano part, because it was never meant to add more than just a little additional colour and rhythm).

23 hours ago, Amer said:

My only peeve is that they didn't replicate the Multi Channel mixlayer on the SACD -they could easily do that that using blu ray audio which has the wonderful dolby Atmos split. Oh well, hope to grab this month end . You now how quickly these run out and into the hands of Ebay/secondary market speculators..

The Violin Concerto Cd would be nice to on SACD! 

OFF TOPIC: But Mobile Fidelity is issuing Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' in a new remastered SACD in November!  (Stereo) Now that's a keeper!

Agreed on points 1 and 2.

Oh my on the off topic one of Thriller. For sure that is one I will get! My first three CDs were bought in 1984 (yes I was an early adopter):

1. Star Wars OST

2. 1821 Overture by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops

3. Thriller(!)

I know exactly where I bought them too (although the store is long gone).

The last time I had a Multi channel Williams SACD was the 20th Anniversary of E.T. Although it had an intersting surround mix but nothing compared to the LLL 2CD edition.

I hope to get this only as a novelty of the SACD format. 

In comparasion how does it fare with the Vienna set?