16 John Williams und Robert Altman
19 Catch Me If You Can
20 Der Patriot
23 „Ikonografie in
John Williams’ Filmmusik“
28 Johnny’s Wild Side
34 John Williams in Berlin

Cinema Musica 47 (2022) | Cinema Musica

A battered physical copy of the above has eventually arrived in my letterbox.

It took as long as "The Secrets of Dumbledore" OST CD from Japan (over land).

55 minutes ago, Amer said:

My copy of the Japanese 2CD SACD aarives and joins the rest of the Berlin releases @lairdo

IMG_20220715_201251_777.jpg

Wonderful!!! Enjoy!

(I keep checking weekly if a SACD of VC#2 is added so we can have a full set. Maybe even Gathering of Friends too!)

Yes @lairdo. I'm anticipating V#2 should come as well. Although the video will have the blu ray sound as well. Hopefully with Dolby Atmos.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I bought a digital concert hall ticket back in the day to watch the concert live. Now I got a letter from Berlin containing a brochure for the 22/23 season, a free 7 day ticket for the digital concert hall/archive, and a 10% discount for a 12-month ticket for the same!

Me too!

I just checked out some pieces by Jörg Widmann, because you don't find much free stuff on the internet. This piece https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/work/51214-1 'Tanz auf dem Vulkan' (Dance on the volcano) is absolutely amazing! Anyone who has received free 7-day access should use it for watching this. But there are so many more good performances!

Like this amazing perfrmance of Tom and Jerry https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/work/20456-6 I love it!!:lol:

The timpani player from the JW concert, another percussionist and a viola player from the JW concert play a nice cat-and-mouse game there!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally took the shrinkwrap off my physical CD edition today, and am listening to the concert in any form for the first time right now

The performance is really good.  The ending of the Raiders March was interesting, it felt extra "militaristic"

Oh man, just got to his introduction to Princess Leia's theme.  That story was so brief and funny the first time I heard it, but is so elongated for no good reason in this iteration.  Oofta.

Just now, bollemanneke said:

Where's the DVD though? I want my dad to see this concert!

You are meant to buy him a DG stage or BPO Digital Concert Hall voucher for Christmas...or a Blu-ray player.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Thor said:

To my big surprise, this airs on Norwegian TV tonight. But already available to stream. Watching now, not sure there is much from the first day when I was there. The anecdotes are a little different from what I remember.

Most of it is from the third day - I can see myself pretty much every time the camera view includes the middle of the 3rd (?) row.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

To my big surprise, this airs on Norwegian TV tonight. But already available to stream. Watching now, not sure there is much from the first day when I was there. The anecdotes are a little different from what I remember. Probably already explained earlier in the thread. Anyways, just a heads-up to Norwegians here.

We know that Leia's Theme is from the Thursday when we were there, as they didn't perform it any other night. 

7 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

We know that Leia's Theme is from the Thursday when we were there, as they didn't perform it any other night. 

Yeah, but that wasn't part of the TV program. From STAR WARS, they played "The Adventures of Han", "Yoda's Theme" and "Throne Room & Finale" (and "The Imperial March" as an encore?). Perhaps the TV program is different from the Blu-ray (I don't own the Blu-ray yet).

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, but that wasn't part of the TV program. From STAR WARS, they played "The Adventures of Han", "Yoda's Theme" and "Throne Room & Finale" (and "The Imperial March" as an encore?). Perhaps the TV program is different from the Blu-ray (I don't own the Blu-ray yet).

ahh ok. Yeah, thinking about it, I’m fairly sure we had the same TV program of it on UK tv last Christmas. Fools! 😂 Leia definitely on the Blu-ray. 

I have no idea why, but I haven’t devoured and obsessed quite so much over the Berlin Blu-ray as much as the Vienna. But I watched it this Christmas Eve and it’s so good!!

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

I'm pretty sure it was Saturday only, with the exception of "Princess Leia Theme", which was performed only on Thursday.

Yes, all saturday except for Leia. With some minor edits (very few were needed honestly).  I have both versions, Blueray and Livestream and have compared them in detail.

• 2 months later...

Recent "Film Nights" with the Göttinger Symphonieorchester in Germany under the wand of Nicholas Milton included "Flying Theme" from E.T., among other well-known JW concert arrangements.

It is worth mentioning that the horn section raised their bells in the finale of E.T. - just like in The Berlin Concerts!

Nice to witness an "informed" performance practice being picked up by other musicians.

15 minutes ago, Joni Wiljami said:

I think it is also written in the horn parts, Bells up!!

Screenshot_2023-04-20-10-10-28-30_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

This suggests (or rather confirms) that it was previously overlooked. VPO didn't raise their bells. But they must be able to do so since bell-raising was introduced by Mahler.

Just to make sure I haven't overlooked something: at this point, we do NOT have a one or two-disc set with only Blu-Rays in it, right? I have that drive now so I want to buy more BR.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Just to make sure I haven't overlooked something: at this point, we do NOT have a one or two-disc set with only Blu-Rays in it, right? I have that drive now so I want to buy more BR.

I'm not aware of a single Blu-Ray edition of The Berlin Concert. There's apparently only the 2-disc edition (1 Blu-ray Video, 1 Blu-ray Audio).

John Williams - The Berlin Concert (Blu-ray Video), 1 Blu-ray Disc und 1 Blu-ray Audio

John Williams - The Berlin Concert (Blu-ray Video) (1 Blu-ray Disc und 1 Blu-ray Audio) – jpc

Deutsche Grammophon - der offizielle Shop - The Berlin Concert - John Williams - 2 BluRay

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

To put things into perspective...

332169-cc-orchestra-de.smaller.webp

BRSO and RCO should be the next on JW's bucket list.

I think the BR Orchestra is a bit overrated. But lists are lists. Who cares 😄