John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

Good call, @Tom Guernsey!  Just picked up the Blu-Ray edition there for $37 out the door.  Amazon has it for $47, but I'm not an enthusiast of store-killing monopolists.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Good call, @Tom Guernsey!  Just picked up the Blu-Ray edition there for $37 out the door.  Amazon has it for $47, but I'm not an enthusiast of store-killing monopolists.  Thanks!

No worries at all! I can’t recommend Presto enough, so I’m more than happy if they get another customer. The only real downside is they don’t do a whole lot of film music…!

I had actually wondered whether dispatching something in 4 minutes was a bit unlikely but I just got a Royal Mail tracking email so it really was out the door today. Service to match our favourite speciality labels I would say. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

My physical copy just arrive from Amazon.

I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KN2N3F4

And it's a yellow title block edition.... IN A JEWEL CASE

front.jpg

back.jpg

Cool. Thanks for the photos. (My order of that exact version from Amazon has not even shipped yet!)

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

No worries at all! I can’t recommend Presto enough, so I’m more than happy if they get another customer. The only real downside is they don’t do a whole lot of film music…!

I recommend them as well, even shipping to the US as I have them do. On digital downloads, I often find Quboz (if you have the Sublime level of membership) has lower prices, but not always. And they do seem to get the first shipments of physical product from the music companies whereas Amazon, Wal-mart and Target all seem to be later on these.

They can be a tad slow to respond to emails at Presto (they are a small team), but I find if I need something, they will respond with a second email. 

Long after both JW and I myself are dead, people will still be finding original spins on "I know, but they're all dead." ROTFLMAO

P.S.  Unrelated: is the BPO recording of Jurassic Park now the definitive version of that suite?  Methinks perhaps.  The opening horn is a little weird, but I love the tempo!

The FedEx operational delay in Stansted GB is over as of this afternoon; it is currently in transit. Scheduled delivery is pending, but it is still on time. Yay.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

My physical copy just arrived from Amazon.

I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KN2N3F4

And it's a yellow title block edition.... IN A JEWEL CASE

front.jpg

back.jpg

You just convinced me to get this while I wait for the Deluxe Edition to arrive.

10 hours ago, igger6 said:

Long after both JW and I myself are dead, people will still be finding original spins on "I know, but they're all dead." ROTFLMAO

P.S.  Unrelated: is the BPO recording of Jurassic Park now the definitive version of that suite?  Methinks perhaps.  The opening horn is a little weird, but I love the tempo!

No, the tempo is way too fast in the first section.

10 hours ago, igger6 said:

The opening horn is a little weird, but I love the tempo!

Yeah. In the video they show Williams' face during that opening and he doesn't look happy. But maybe he is just concentrated.

Just watching it now. And really enjoying it. More than on the stream, mainly because I can watch it on my big tele!  Sound quality and picture spot on. Not sure yet my what my favourite performances are.  Just great to have this.

13 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

The FedEx operational delay in Stansted GB is over as of this afternoon; it is currently in transit. Scheduled delivery is pending, but it is still on time. Yay.

Yes! 

Just checked. My shipment has made it to and been processed in Memphis. So, likely Monday to me then.

5 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Arrived yesterday, exactly what I ordered. 😎

0508B2AA-3771-46EA-9231-730E615858F9.jpeg

Wonderful. I think that is the first picture we have seen of the Deluxe CD edition in someone's possession! Can you share an image of the backs?

Did you order from JPC, DG, Amazon or somewhere else?

I actually thought that I had ordered The Deluxe CD as MBR uses a picture from it instead of the regular CD:

https://www.musicbox-records.com/fr/cd-musiques-de-films/11281-john-williams-the-berlin-concert.html

I should have double check the references... At least I have the important: this gorgeous concert!

36 minutes ago, lairdo said:

Wonderful. I think that is the first picture we have seen of the Deluxe CD edition in someone's possession! Can you share an image of the backs?

Did you order from JPC, DG, Amazon or somewhere else?

I ordered at Bol.com, a Dutch retailer…

C41BED43-C863-478A-A25A-93A1187F25BB.jpeg

8F1460D9-5D90-47F0-9571-2169DAB70DFA.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I ordered at Bol.com, a Dutch retailer…

Ah, got it.

And so, seeing the back of the Deluxe CD edition (thank you for the photo), it appears that the discs on both CD versions are in fact the same (and presumably the CDs within the CD+BR edition) with the introductions as bonus tracks.

So, unlike with the Live in Vienna version, only the video version interleaves the JW introductions with the music. Interesting.

2 hours ago, lairdo said:

Yes! 

Just checked. My shipment has made it to and been processed in Memphis. So, likely Monday to me then.

Same for me; different destination, though (Florida)!

On 02/01/2022 at 12:07 PM, Mr. Breathmask said:

I don't think I've ever heard the piano this prominently mixed into the Imperial March. Interesting.

Yes, it's quite noticeable how forward the piano is in the mix for the whole concert (on both CD and Blu-ray).

4 hours ago, lairdo said:

And so, seeing the back of the Deluxe CD edition (thank you for the photo), it appears that the discs on both CD versions are in fact the same (and presumably the CDs within the CD+BR edition) with the introductions as bonus tracks.

So, unlike with the Live in Vienna version, only the video version interleaves the JW introductions with the music. Interesting.

The CDs have the same running order as the concert video with introductions between pieces. It's just the digital release that has the applause and introductions edited out.

3 hours ago, voltisubito said:

The CDs have the same running order as the concert video with introductions between pieces. It's just the digital release that has the applause and introductions edited out.

Ahh, I understand now. So, the Deluxe CD is literally just the packaging. Thanks.

19 hours ago, rough cut said:

I might be a in a minority, but I think I’d prefer the digital version then.

You can get it now with 20% off from HDtracks.com with code "HDFEB20".

Link: https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/61f836a97a425a50e09e04ec

I attended the concert and I just listened to the recording. That recording is… interesting. It's nothing like the live performance (at least that's my feeling). The mix is really weird with a front facing piano or harp that you can awkwardly hear well. All and All I really like the recording though. Because it makes it different and I can spot new parts of pieces I thought I knew by heart :)