The Beatles: Get Back (Peter Jackson, 2021)

mrbellamy

WTF? It's six hours now?

How long would have have been if the pandemic hadn't happened and it came out last September as intended?

I'm stunned that Apple gave Jackson access to this footage. They're normally incredibly protective of this stuff. I wonder why now, and why Jackson?

54 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm stunned that Apple gave Jackson access to this footage. They're normally incredibly protective of this stuff. I wonder why now, and why Jackson?

Well last year, when it was supposed to be out, was the 50th anniversary of Let it Be. The Beatles themselves were never happy with the original film so I guess with all the massive reissues they’ve been doing for 50th anniversaries it made sense. 

The remaining Beatles aren’t getting younger so I suppose they probably wanted a say in it. 

Jackson proved himself as a great doc maker with They Shall Not Grow Old and he’s a huge Beatles fan. 

all makes sense to me! 

Can't say I'm a massive Beatles fan, but I'm interested in this and will watch. Always up for learning something new!

Sounds like Jackson's content to be a documentary filmmaker now, he's probably burned out from big budget epics. Which is fine by me, They Shall Not Grow Old was outstanding.

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Sounds like Jackson's content to be a documentary filmmaker now, he's probably burned out from big budget epics. Which is fine by me, They Shall Not Grow Old was outstanding.

I’d love to see him do something from World War II next. 

or even a doc on the films of his childhood or something. Just more Jackson docs. 

I'm more disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a new remix of the album in the works, since honestly the original Let It Be album sounds rougher than its two predecessors. Sure, I suppose Naked leaves making another moot, but I can imagine it'd be nice to hear the Spector edits and additions in much cleaner quality. Still, the prospect of this particular project is intriguing, so I'd be interested in what comes of it. Wonder if they're still gonna remaster the original film.

Jackson only knows about the Beatles film project from some reading material and from meeting Paul McCartney, and I'm not sure he has quite the right order of events from those sources.

Its a very complex part of the history of the Lord of the Rings finding its way to the screen, actually.

27 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Something tells me the mushrooms play a lot bigger role in the Beatles version.

Actually, the John Boorman script (which is very much mushroom induced) was also intended to be helmed by the Beatles: you can really tell by the amount of singing in it. I'm told Jackson got hold of a copy of it at one point.

I bet the band breaking up (the script was written in 1969-1970) had a lot to do with the script never getting off of the ground.

• 3 months later...

It can't be, it can't be... :crymore:

My only hope is that Venom 2 win enough money (can't believe that I'm saying that) that Serkis, who always showed his will to make the sequel, succeed to convince Sony of doing it

Is Howard Shore scoring this doc?

42 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

My only hope is that Venom 2 win enough money (can't believe that I'm saying that) that Serkis, who always showed his will to make the sequel, succeed to convince Sony of doing it

That'd be great, actually!

Disney. That just blows my mind.

Kind of like after the whole "wardrobe malfunction" Super Bowl thing they went with the safest, cleanest, least offensive act they could think of. A Beatle. I'd love to be able to time travel back to 1968ish and tell the hippies that that was how it was going to turn out.

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'd love to be able to time travel back to 1968ish and tell the hippies that that was how it was going to turn out.

They'd be terrified to know that The Beatles is now being distributed by the most evil corporation in the planet.

I'm not a particularly big fan of The Beatles (in my childhood, I had the blue and red best of albums, and that was it), but I'm definitely watching this. If nothing else, then to see a young Alan Parsons roaming about.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm not a particularly big fan of The Beatles (in my childhood, I had the blue and red best of albums, and that was it), ...

Yeah, they're not nearly as good as SUPERTRAMP ( or APP).

😉😝😜😅

• 4 weeks later...

It's just so sloppy!  I wonder how much of the 6 hours will be really crude early takes of songs like this vs more polished stuff (or even, how much of the doc is music being performed and how much is other stuff)

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

Neat clip. Can't wait for this, even though I'm a fairly "neutral" Beatles fan.

I've realized that I like The Beatles and I love Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road. (I remain largely unimpressed by The White Album.) There are a lot of Beatles songs that are favorites.

But there is no band in the world with a more epic mythology. I hope this is watchable.

I feel like there's probably a lot of crossover between John Williams fans and Beatles fans who love Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road the most. 

And yeah I definitely believe the story of The Beatles isn't just the best in popular music but one of the greatest histories of the 20th century. 

9 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I feel like there's probably a lot of crossover between John Williams fans and Beatles fans who love Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road the most. 

And yeah I definitely believe the story of The Beatles isn't just the best in popular music but one of the greatest histories of the 20th century. 

He agrees.

https://youtu.be/ZQS91wVdvYc