The Beatles: Get Back (Peter Jackson, 2021)

mrbellamy

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I wanna get the big new Let It Be box now. I was meh on the album on first listen but I've heard the songs enough in these 3 days that they grew on me!

I'm getting that and the 2019 remaster of Abbey Road.

This is after George walked out and John didn't bother coming in. And now consider that "then there were two", these same two, for 20 years now. :crymore:

That whole meeting was one of those scenes that was so good, it didn't even feel like it was real, it felt like something a great screenwriter had cooked up. It reminded me of the conference between the families in The Godfather or something lol. 

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

On paper it's way too easy to read bitterness into every little remark, especially on the verge of breaking up, when they're often just taking the piss.

Very true - wikisurfing a bit now, and seeing this: "Lennon had lost interest in collaborating with McCartney, whose contribution Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da he scorned as "granny music shit"" is weird - sure, they became more individual writers playing and refining things together, but they play/sing OLDOLD all the time in this, even if mockingly or as a meme!

"Martin said that the project was "not at all a happy recording experience. It was a time when relations between the Beatles were at their lowest ebb." Lennon described the largely impromptu sessions as "hell ... the most miserable ... on Earth", and Harrison, "the low of all-time"" - I certainly didn't see that much of this, either, mostly just in the Twickenham days.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Very true - wikisurfing a bit now, and seeing this: "Lennon had lost interest in collaborating with McCartney, whose contribution Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da he scorned as "granny music shit"" is weird - sure, they became more individual writers playing and refining things together, but they play/sing OLDOLD all the time in this, even if mockingly or as a meme!

"Martin said that the project was "not at all a happy recording experience. It was a time when relations between the Beatles were at their lowest ebb." Lennon described the largely impromptu sessions as "hell ... the most miserable ... on Earth", and Harrison, "the low of all-time"" - I certainly didn't see that much of this, either, mostly just in the Twickenham days.

I've used "granny shit" to refer to a lot of Paul's songs, specifically those happy-go-lucky music hall songs (e.g. Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Honey Pie, When I'm 64).

14 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Giles' new remix does wonders for Let It Be.

19 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

The only LIB that I've listened to in the past 15 years is the LIB Naked that was released awhile back. That's become the only version I'm familiar with, other than occasional radio play. 

Is there merit in buying the new set, even as just the 2 disc sampler? 

6 hours ago, Deacon Blues said:

I've used "granny shit" to refer to a lot of Paul's songs, specifically those happy-go-lucky music hall songs (e.g. Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Honey Pie, When I'm 64).

But in an affectionate way…. right?  Because those songs rule.

I’m mostly onboard with McCartney’s cutesy stuff, but I have to say that I despise When I’m 64 - and it may be the sole reason I don’t consider Sgt Pepper a “great” Beatles album.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’m mostly onboard with McCartney’s cutesy stuff, but I have to say that I despise When I’m 64 - and it may be the sole reason I don’t consider Sgt Pepper a “great” Beatles album.

What's the "GASP!" icon?

So I'm at 1:33 in episode 1. "We're all 28 now..." Ohhhh. Now THAT'S the age of WISDOM! *guffaw*

Watching this and Tick Tick Boom interspersed (which I am) is interesting.

So... What ARE the best Beatles documentaries?

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ANTHOLOGY

Endlessly rewatchable. Apparently the DVDs are hard for people to find now, though?

Scorsese's George Harrison: Living in the Material World is a good Beatles-adjacent doc

On 28/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, mstrox said:

It boggles the.mind they didn't put PENNY LANE (or SFF) instead of that.

I know why they didn't but it still is inconceivable.

Had they done that, it would be the "greatest album of all time"

MAXWELL is terrible but I like OBLADI...

I also like YOUR.MOTHER SHOULD KNOW.

11 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Endlessly rewatchable. Apparently the DVDs are hard for people to find now, though?

Scorsese's George Harrison: Living in the Material World is a good Beatles-adjacent doc

I have the whole set!

Thank G it was made before the widescreen era, and all the vintage footage is presented unaltered!*

*unlike the wretched Ron Howard doc

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ANTHOLOGY

"The Beatles First US Visit" is wonderful also

It's a good docu series, but also quite fatiguing in one sitting -- i.e. the complete lack of discipline in the recording studio, with all kinds of substances involved; for hour after hour, you basically scream at the screen for someone responsible to step in and take control. Too many sycophants around -- the absence of Brian Epstein is felt (and George Martin was far more passive than I thought)! That obviously gives the series narrative nerve too, frustrating as it is. Will they finish in time, and what is the end result? I was completely worn out by "Get Back" when I'd finished watching, though -- otherwise one of my favourite Beatles songs (need a break from listening to it now). It was played loads of times. But witnessing its creation was awesome. 

Nice to see a few shots of my hero Alan Parsons in there (who looks 14!), although there were less than I had expected.

I read from some Beatles fans that that great hidden "flower pot" conversation between John and Paul is something that's been around but that it was always tough to make out a lot of what they were saying, so it's great to hear that as clean as they were able to get it.

And in general, the doc is a real gift speaking as someone who was always interested in exploring these sessions beyond the Let It Be film but never had enough patience to pore over all the transcripts and logs and the garbled audio out there, going back and forth between BeatlesBible.com and YouTube or whatever books were out there. To have the best of it in one place, neatly presented and chronological, very special. Just one of my all-time favorite things now.

I've found the documentary to be endlessly fascinating.  It's hard to imagine the pace that these events unfolded and how young they were.  I think George Harrison was only 26 or so during this documentary (he could pass for 40) and Ringo and John were both 29.  Kids.  But definitely puts a different context to the stories of what all was happening at that time.  Fascinating documentary.  

Heavy smoking probably helped with that.

I also found it funny that this was Ringo's most substantial vocal contribution besides demoing Octopus's Garden:

1 hour ago, karelm said:

I've found the documentary to be endlessly fascinating.  It's hard to imagine the pace that these events unfolded and how young they were.  I think George Harrison was only 26 or so during this documentary (he could pass for 40) and Ringer/John were 29.  Kids.  But definitely puts a different context to the stories of what all was happening at that time.  Fascinating documentary.  

They were kids alright. The kind of childish, undisciplined, rambunctious behaviour they displayed on the sound stage was both a source of immense frustration and fascination throughout.

14 hours ago, Holko said:

Heavy smoking probably helped with that.

I also found it funny that this was Ringo's most substantial vocal contribution besides demoing Octopus's Garden:

I also loved "I won't lie, I'm not too good!" when he came in one morning after a weekend. It often seemed like he was hungover.

It was very sweet to hear Linda saying Ringo was her favorite and made her the most comfortable. He comes across like a real chiller. His whole thing was that he just wanted to play drums on the best songs with the best band and it must have been frustrating as you see him sitting around, not saying too much, just waiting for the material. 

Also just have to say his social media is hilarious. Real "Old People Facebook" material. He shitposts on Instagram and loves his emojis. And one of the funniest awkward videos ever, that zoom:

• 5 weeks later...

Cool. It deserves its own "film".

By the way, I tried to show this to my dad this Christmas, but even though it's music from his era, I think he found it largely boring. He turned it off after the first day on the calendar was crossed off. A friend of mine had a similar experience with his dad; he allegedly said "so, when are they actually going to play?". So whereas I was totally glued to the screen for the duration, it appears our parents don't necessarily have that interest or patience.

Nice. 

Was listening to a podcast with Jackson btw who was asked by the hosts about the possibility of an extended cut. He said he originally broached the subject with Disney last year when they agreed the doc would be around 6 hours and they shut him down, telling him extended sets don't sell anymore. So without telling them, he threw 2 more hours' worth of stuff in to create the final Disney+ version we have and he said he never heard a word about it lol. 

He also said he still wants to put a further extended edition out at some point and isn't done having that conversation with Disney. 

• 1 month later...

Just got done listening to the Get Back (Rooftop Performance) album on Spotify

Boy, it's fun!  I hadn't realized they kept so much banter from between the songs.  Really makes me want to find time to watch the documentary now

The last track, their third playing of Get Back, is pretty funny - they mess up and laugh through some of the lyrics