Boston Symphony Hall 2021-2022 season opens with John Williams conducting Anne-Sophie Mutter for "Violin Concerto No. 2" September 30 & October 2

Jay

Boston Symphony Orchestra is thrilled to announce programs for the 2021-22 Season, September 30-April 30, and the reopening of Symphony Hall for concertgoers.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra and Music Director Andris Nelsons present a 2021-22 Symphony Hall season, September 30-April 30, that will first and foremost celebrate reuniting with their music community post-pandemic, while also continuing the orchestra’s commitment to welcoming new audiences to experience the singular gifts the BSO and Mr. Nelsons are so eager to share with devoted listeners in Boston and throughout the world. This commitment to returning to performances with audiences is matched by an equally strong commitment to the health and safety of everyone associated with the BSO, including patrons, staff, and musicians.

In celebration of the reopening of Symphony Hall, the BSO will present a free community concert, under the direction of Andris Nelsons, Keith Lockhart, Thomas Wilkins, and John Williams, on October 3.

Press Release (PDF)

Boston Symphony Orchestra, 2021-22 Season Programs

Thursday, September 30, 8pm
Saturday, October 2, 8pm
Andris Nelsons and John Williams, conductors
Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin

BEETHOVEN Overture, The Consecration of the House
John WILLIAMS Violin Concerto No. 2
BARTÓK Concerto for Orchestra

https://www.bso.org/brands/bso/features/2021-22-bso-season-overview.aspx

53 minutes ago, Steve said:

Pray for his health. A quite stressful schedule for a 89year old! And very inspiring!

A baton is to Williams what a lightsaber is to Yoda.  

• 2 months later...

How nice. I think his "serious" music should deserve a lot more recognition, because this music is so beautifully virtous (often also transcendental) and can definitely keep up with the great composers before him (who are all already dead, as we know :)).

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

FYI, Mutter wrote on her Facebook/Instagram that she will soon record the Violin Concerto No.2 in Boston with JW, along with "more film themes".

https://www.facebook.com/annesophiemutter/posts/407386110752051

Sweet! Perhaps a new album? 

• 2 weeks later...

I second that! It will be cool also to compare this performance with the premiere for any subtle differences, if any. Maybe the recording will be in slightly better sound quality considering this is in Symphony Hall, which is saying something since the premiere was already in excellence sound quality.

I would imagine the version released on the album will be recorded without the audience there, and with the ability to re-take certain sections to get the best performance edited together

FRIENDS! The Sunday concert is free and the maestro will indeed be there! And TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE AGAIN!

https://secure.bso.org/booking/production/bestavailable/23566/post

It was sold out, and the BSO website still says it is, so the above link to get tickets isn't even on the orchestra's site anymore. But I had that link (which had said “sold out”) still open in another tab, just refreshed it, and it let me get one even though there's no way to access that page anymore unless you already had the link.

I'm surprised and a bit concerned it's letting people get so many (a friend just got 4) if it was so sold out (a BSO employee told me earlier that it was totally sold out and not worth even checking again), but I have the order in my account and email confirmation sooooooo not sure what to think. But click fast!

Intereview with Anne-Sophie from a day or two ago. Nothing major new, but more of her thoughts on Williams' writing and performing the new concerto and playing the film arrangements. She doesn't mention any recording, and she said the new arrangements are for the encores. Just one as played Thursday night, so presumable a couple more will be heard on Saturday night:

https://artsfuse.org/237794/concert-preview-interview-anne-sophie-mutter-plays-john-williams-violin-concerto-no-2/

17 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I am sure this will be on the album with VC2. So, we will have Across the Stars (2021 arrangement), Marion’s Theme and maybe Han and the Princess?

And Long Goodbye?

Sophie hinted at a few new arrangements, so unless that was a linguistic mistake, we should be getting more.  Stands to reason considering the concerto is around 35 minutes. Enough space for quite a few more for a CD release. Fingers crossed!

I can't find a starting time to the Sunday concert anywhere - update, it starts at 3 pm, And according to this....

On Sunday afternoon, Mr. Williams will conduct the Boston Pops and Ms. Mutter in three arrangements for violin and orchestra from his film scores. This part of the concert will not stream on BSO NOW

And here....

As a gift to Boston's larger music community, most segments from the October 3 performance (excluding the Anne-Sophie Mutter and John Williams performances) will be available as a free online concert stream on BSO NOW (bso.org/now)

Drats... Is anyone here going?

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Why would they not broadcast literally the one part we want to hear most?! 

There must be rights issues involved, or maybe something to do with Anne-Sophie's contract with the orchestra?  It's definitely frustrating!  Hopefully these pieces are the ones they will be recording for a new album!

Greetings from Symphony Hall! The program only says the same vague “three arrangements for violin” as the website. Not piece names. Guess it’ll be a surprise, though I’d assume two of them will be The Long Goodbye and Marion’s Theme.

17 hours ago, pete said:

Sophie hinted at a few new arrangements, so unless that was a linguistic mistake, we should be getting more.  Stands to reason considering the concerto is around 35 minutes. Enough space for quite a few more for a CD release. Fingers crossed!

Clearly they would not be recording Violin Concerto No. 2 and other new film arrangements for no reason, so of course it will be for an upcoming album. It’ll be great!

8 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Chills. Absolute chills. I have paid a pretty penny several times over the years to see the Maestro conduct his work only feet away.  I’ve never taken it for granted, but something about it being free today made it all the more surreal.

The three pieces Williams and Mutter did were indeed The Long Goodbye, Marion’s Theme, and Han Solo and The Princess (which took an already stunning theme to unbelievable new heights). Williams also came out at the end of the concert with the three other conductors, and they left him to do an encore of The Imperial March.

Truly surreal!

C1472EA4-CA5D-496B-94A2-E292A3B203B1.jpeg

2A12F559-4A22-4685-B47A-6DB65D8B0C76.jpeg

Why do I get the feeling that those three pieces will be part of the upcoming album along with Violin Concerto No. 2? HALLELUJAH!!  

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Why would they not broadcast literally the one part we want to hear most?! 

Most likely because those pieces are going to be part of the upcoming album? Just a hypothesis.