Boston Symphony Hall 2021-2022 season opens with John Williams conducting Anne-Sophie Mutter for "Violin Concerto No. 2" September 30 & October 2

Jay

15 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I will say that it was nice hearing the (slightly revised) concerto, which hearing it close up and clearly, that piece is all blues style harmonies but very narrative. What a masterpiece.

I did notice a few minor revisions.  That, combined with a more confident performance, really gave the piece a great unity of direction.  Really enjoyed listening on my dorm's TV speakers last night.

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

I did notice a few minor revisions.  That, combined with a more confident performance, really gave the piece a great unity of direction.  Really enjoyed listening on my dorm's TV speakers last night.

Was there video with that performance and is it still up?

1 minute ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Was there video with that performance and is it still up?

I don't think it was filmed, and it certainly wasn't streamed.

I just wanted to hear the piece reverberate around the room as opposed to headphones.

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

I don't think it was filmed, and it certainly wasn't streamed.

I just wanted to hear the piece reverberate around the room as opposed to headphones.

Nice!

Actually there were cameras all over the stage, BUT I don't know if they were filming those shows, or just today.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Finally, the Han Solo and the Princess arrangement for Anne-Sophie surfaces. It's my favorite Star Wars love theme, and I think it's probably amongst my favorite Williams' love themes. I was so excited when Ann-Sophie posted a picture with the title visible as she was preparing for Across The Stars, and then so sad and disappointed and shocked and gloomy when it didn't appear on that album. Finally, it's alive! Hope I can hear it soon!

Didn’t we already generally hear the new arrangement in the last year or two by another orchestra?

20 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Didn’t we already generally hear the new arrangement in the last year or two by another orchestra?

Not the arrangement for solo violin. He did revise the piece of orchestra, but the solo violin version wasn't heard until yesterday.  It certainly could be similar to that version. 

17 minutes ago, pete said:

Not the arrangement for solo violin. He did revise the piece of orchestra, but the solo violin version wasn't heard until yesterday.  It certainly could be similar to that version. 

Just listened back to the orchestra revision. There are similarities for sure.

On 03/10/2021 at 8:55 PM, pete said:

Finally, the Han Solo and the Princess arrangement for Anne-Sophie surfaces. 

The absolute best Ann-Sophie violin piece dropped from the DG c.d.

:|

45 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Take heart, @King Mark, sure sounds like we'll be getting it on record soon enough.

The arrangement for ASM is pretty striking. Follows the formal outline of the 2018 arrangement but with quite a lot added, including a brand new intro and outro and expanded inner section. Interesting that he gives a full statement of the B-section of the theme that was missing from that 2018 arrangement. And it ends if anything even darker and pained than the 2018 one. With all those drooping chromatic sigh figures towards the end, I half expected him to hint at Kylo Ren's theme!

The first description of the piece and it sounds absolutely glorious! Thanks for describing @Falstaft

An even darker ending than the 2018 revision... wow! 

Really hope we get a proper recording of this someday, hopefully under JW's baton. Seems like a missed opportunity not performing this in Berlin.

• 2 weeks later...

https://now.bso.org/details/26930?playlist_id=45

Here is the link to the BSO now video recording of the Sunday concert. Naturally, the Williams/ Mutter section is completely cut out, with only him conducting the Imperial March as the encore.