Which actors has Williams scored most often?

crumbs

I was ruminating recently about which of Hollywood's highest profile actors Williams has never scored a movie starring.

Then I started wondering which actors had been scored in the most films by Williams, and Harrison Ford sprung to mind as almost untouchable for that record. 5x Indiana Jones, 5x Star Wars, Sabrina, Presumed Innocent and a deleted cameo in E.T. (albeit in a scene Williams scored!)

So presuming no actor bests Ford's record for most films scored by JW (12, or 13 on a technicality), who would be next? Anthony Daniels with 9 Star Wars films?

And which actors are you surprised to remember Williams has actually scored 3 times? Emily Watson and David Thewlis spring to mind there, with 3 scores each.

It'd be more interesting to find out which big actor had only 1 movie scored by JW, since, obviously, that would be the highlight of their careers... :D

Off the top of my head: 

Julia Roberts - Hook 

Robin Williams - Hook

Dustin Hoffman - Hook

Kevin Costner - JFK

Brad Pitt - Seven Years in Tibet 

Anthony Hopkins - Nixon 

Mel Gibson - The Patriot 

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Julia Roberts played also in Stepmon

Dustin Hoffman and Brad Pitt also played in Sleepers

Anthony Hopkins played in Amistad

Mel Gibson played the leading role in The River.

Well, true. So that leaves only Kevin Costner.... :D

I told you that's much more interesting! 

20 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Well, true. So that leaves only Kevin Costner.... :D

Although not a film, Kevin Costner also played in Spielberg's Williams-scored episode "The Mission" in AMAZING STORIES.

Williams scored a lot of Lee Marvin stuff in the 50s and 60s.

On 6/19/2021 at 2:28 AM, crumbs said:

I was ruminating recently about which of Hollywood's highest profile actors Williams has never scored a movie starring.

Then I started wondering which actors had been scored in the most films by Williams, and Harrison Ford sprung to mind as almost untouchable for that record. 5x Indiana Jones, 5x Star Wars, Sabrina, Presumed Innocent and a deleted cameo in E.T. (albeit in a scene Williams scored!)

So presuming no actor bests Ford's record for most films scored by JW (12, or 13 on a technicality), who would be next? Anthony Daniels with 9 Star Wars films?

And which actors are you surprised to remember Williams has actually scored 3 times? Emily Watson and David Thewlis spring to mind there, with 3 scores each.

Daniels had a cameo in Solo, which Williams wrote the theme and those demo cues.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Pin by Leia Stardust on Star Wars | Star wars art, Star wars, Star wars  fandom

Julia Roberts - Hook and Stepmom

Robin Williams - Hook and A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Dustin Hoffman - Hook and Sleepers

Kevin Costner - Amazing Stories and JFK

Brad Pitt - Sleepers and Seven Years in Tibet

Anthony Hopkins - Nixon and Amistad

Mel Gibson - The River and The Patriot

This was just a test and you fell right into it... Dear Lord. 😂

My point was, how much harder and more interesting it is to try to think of a major actor who only starred in one JW-scored movie. 

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I don't remember Robin Williams in A.I.

He didn't technically star in the movie, anyway. He just lent his voice for a short scene... 

Kinda like Ben Kingsley in the same movie. Kinda like Morgan Freeman in War of the Worlds

In terms of someone having one actual notable role in a movie and then absolutely no other Williams-scored work in film or TV, some "one and dones" would be Frank Sinatra, Shirley Maclaine, Peter Ustinov, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Lucille Ball, Dick Van Dyke, Olivia de Havilland, Carol Burnett, Elliott Gould, Jodie Foster, Goldie Hawn, Ava Gardner, Paul Newman, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Clint Eastwood, Henry Fonda, Peter Cushing, Kirk Douglas, Frank Langella, Laurence Olivier, John Belushi, Andy Kaufman, Joaquin Phoenix, Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer, Geena Davis, Christian Bale, Sean Connery, Willem Dafoe, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Jane Fonda, Nicole Kidman, Sam Neill, Joan Allen, James Woods, Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Julianne Moore, Vince Vaughn, Djimon Hounsou, Matthew McConaughey, Matt Damon, Vin Diesel, Heath Ledger, Chris Cooper, Haley Joel Osment, Jude Law, Samantha Morton, Colin Farrell, Kenneth Branagh, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christopher Walken, Emma Thompson, Michael Gambon, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Stanley Tucci, Dakota Fanning, Tim Robbins, Ken Watanabe, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Mark Rylance, and Benicio Del Toro.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Pin by Leia Stardust on Star Wars | Star wars art, Star wars, Star wars  fandom

Julia Roberts - Hook and Stepmom

Robin Williams - Hook and A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Dustin Hoffman - Hook and Sleepers

Kevin Costner - Amazing Stories and JFK

Brad Pitt - Sleepers and Seven Years in Tibet

Anthony Hopkins - Nixon and Amistad

Mel Gibson - The River and The Patriot

Someone please change the title of this thread to Josh is wrong about everything.

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Did we just nail Thor on old school John Williams trivia?

I guess so

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Yes, sorry, it was Michael Redgrave who played the grandfather. For some reason, my mind went to Peter Ustinov.

Michael Redgrave was in Heidi and Goodbye Mr Chips

36 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

In terms of someone having one actual notable role in a movie and then absolutely no other Williams-scored work in film or TV, some "one and dones" would be Frank Sinatra, Shirley Maclaine, Peter Ustinov, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Lucille Ball, Dick Van Dyke, Olivia de Havilland, Carol Burnett, Elliott Gould, Jodie Foster, Goldie Hawn, Ava Gardner, Paul Newman, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Clint Eastwood, Henry Fonda, Peter Cushing, Kirk Douglas, Frank Langella, Laurence Olivier, John Belushi, Andy Kaufman, Joaquin Phoenix, Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer, Geena Davis, Christian Bale, Sean Connery, Willem Dafoe, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Jane Fonda, Nicole Kidman, Sam Neill, Joan Allen, James Woods, Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Julianne Moore, Vince Vaughn, Djimon Hounsou, Matthew McConaughey, Matt Damon, Vin Diesel, Heath Ledger, Chris Cooper, Haley Joel Osment, Jude Law, Samantha Morton, Colin Farrell, Kenneth Branagh, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christopher Walken, Emma Thompson, Michael Gambon, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Stanley Tucci, Dakota Fanning, Tim Robbins, Ken Watanabe, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Mark Rylance, and Benicio Del Toro.

Wait, Leonardo DiCaprio? 

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

Catch Me If You Can and zilch!

Right! 

38 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Nice job looking up and going through JW's filmography one by one... 😂 

OK, game's over. 

Ask a question, get an answer!

I was interested to know myself. There are some other random funny ones like Mickey Rourke has a small role in 1941, Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Long Goodbye, Ben Stiller in Empire of the Sun.

And others I thought would qualify like James Stewart and John Wayne but Alcoa Premiere knocked them out. But for movies only, they just had one each too. There are a bunch more that I left out just cause y'all were starting to count TV.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

In terms of someone having one actual notable role in a movie and then absolutely no other Williams-scored work in film or TV, some "one and dones" would be Frank Sinatra, Shirley Maclaine, Peter Ustinov, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Lucille Ball, Dick Van Dyke, Olivia de Havilland, Carol Burnett, Elliott Gould, Jodie Foster, Goldie Hawn, Ava Gardner, Paul Newman, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Clint Eastwood, Henry Fonda, Peter Cushing, Kirk Douglas, Frank Langella, Laurence Olivier, John Belushi, Andy Kaufman, Joaquin Phoenix, Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer, Geena Davis, Christian Bale, Sean Connery, Willem Dafoe, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Jane Fonda, Nicole Kidman, Sam Neill, Joan Allen, James Woods, Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Julianne Moore, Vince Vaughn, Djimon Hounsou, Matthew McConaughey, Matt Damon, Vin Diesel, Edward Burns, Heath Ledger, Chris Cooper, Haley Joel Osment, Jude Law, Samantha Morton, Colin Farrell, Kenneth Branagh, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christopher Walken, Emma Thompson, Michael Gambon, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Stanley Tucci, Dakota Fanning, Tim Robbins, Ken Watanabe, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, Shia LaBeouf, Jamie Bell, Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Mark Rylance, and Benicio Del Toro.

What about Marlon Brando and River Phoenix? And Audrey Hepurn?

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

What about Marlon Brando and River Phoenix? And Audrey Hepurn?

Hepburn was in ALWAYS and HOW TO STEAL A MILLION. Brando in SUPERMAN and THE MISSOURI BREAKS. But Phoenix qualifies.

Just now, Thor said:

Hepburn was in ALWAYS and HOW TO STEAL A MILLION. Brando in SUPERMAN and THE MISSOURI BREAKS. But Phoenix qualifies.

Ah right. At least for Brando I should have known.

I was just eyeballing the main cast on the Wiki sidebars, forgot Phoenix but there are tons of actors who were just in one. 

Kinda interesting that River and Joaquin (Leaf) both got a Williams....River's the star of one of the all-time great cues!

I wonder how many people on my list were never actually in a scene scored with John Williams music...Vin Diesel? Damon does briefly.