Et tu, Baseball Cap?: Spielberg Deal With Netflix

Nick1Ø66

Spielberg + Netflix  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Love it or hate it?

• A match made in Hollywood heaven!
    • The death of art.
    • F*ck it. Just give Netflix all the things.

Hell Freezes Over? Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Partners In Deal To Make Movies For Netflix

I assume only Spielberg-produced films will go straight to Netflix, and stuff he directs himself like The Fabelmans will be forever be standard theatrical affairs

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

A number of Spielberg's recent films look and feel like they could be right out of Netflix.

Yeah, films like The Post, Bridge of Spies, and Ready Player One! 

Although The Post still has a great score... 

This will change nothing except Spielberg will no longer have a hard time to convince money people to finance his non-franchise movies. Netflix will give him what he needs no matter what project he has in mind. 

For a second there,  I thought 'Et Tu, Baseball Cap?' was the title of Spielberg's Trump biopic.

10 minutes ago, AC1 said:

This will change nothing except Spielberg will no longer have a hard time to convince money people to finance his non-franchise movies. Netflix will give him what he needs no matter what project he has in mind. 

I still don't think anything he directs will go to Netflix, this is about stuff Amblin produces 

Just throw the names of all the Spielberg directed and produced films (and their sequels) into a hat, start pulling them out and....voila! A Netflix Original!

Poltergeist: The New Batch

Goonies 2: The Lost World

Lincoln: Revenge of the Fallen

The possibilities are endless!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

"Netflix presents....

Schindler's List 2: The Revenge

Saving Private Ryan... Again!

Minority Report: The Prequel

Munich Parts II and III

The Return of the BFG"

A Minority Report prequel could be brilliant!  

If he directs a movie or movies for Netflix, you know he has a theatrical release baked into that contract.  That said, I agree that this is likely an Amblin deal and not a Spielberg deal.  Get ready for that Goonies soft reboot.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I assume only Spielberg-produced films will go straight to Netflix, and stuff he directs himself like The Fabelmans will be forever be standard theatrical affairs

I agree with this. I really doubt he would do a straight streaming release. But then again Scorsese has now done one so who knows.

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

If he directs a movie or movies for Netflix, you know he has a theatrical release baked into that contract.  

The absolute maximum they will allow is 3 weeks which they have been giving their prestige Oscar titles like Roma, Marriage Story and Irishman - all 3 of which I saw in cinemas by the way.

7 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

That was a couple years ago. I think Spielberg must realize the financing for a theatrical release of certain kinds of films just isn't going to be there. The landscape has seriously changed, and COVID only accelerated that.

Exactly! Theaters won't be interested in anything that is not theme park ride. 

My prediction is that movie theatres, other than some token arthouses in each big city, will be a thing of the past within 15 years.  

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Good to see Spielberg finally come to his senses and join the 21st century, especially in this post-COVID climate.

Mate your new avatar is going to give someone a seizure!

On 6/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, publicist said:

A number of Spielberg's recent films look and feel like they could be right out of Netflix.

I noticed how much the average watcher nowadays says often "I'll watch Netflix", "I'll watch Amazon", "I'll watch Disney+" instead of saying  "I'll watch the new [director's/actor's name] film". And I often heard or read comments (even from film fans) saying things along the lines "It looks like something made my Netflix" or, even more amusingly, "this is pure Netflix style". It's interesting to see how people now rapidly associate the name of the studio with the product rather than the actual filmmakers. We can say that the same already happened in the 1930s and '40s, when the studios' marquee was much more important - and perhaps even a strong selling point for the audience - than the director and sometimes even the stars, but the current model is definitely a first. These corporations succeded in having people become fans of their own brand, much like it happened in other sectors of the economy.

21 hours ago, Tom said:

My prediction is that movie theatres, other than some token arthouses in each big city, will be a thing of the past within 15 years.  

Nope. Movies have always been superior entertainment to tv.

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I noticed how much the average watcher nowadays says often "I'll watch Netflix", "I'll watch Amazon", "I'll watch Disney+" instead of saying  "I'll watch the new [director's/actor's name] film". And I often heard or read comments (even from film fans) saying things along the lines "It looks like something made my Netflix" or, even more amusingly, "this is pure Netflix style". It's interesting to see how people now rapidly associate the name of the studio with the product rather than the actual filmmakers. We can say that the same already happened in the 1930s and '40s, when the studios' marquee was much more important - and perhaps even a strong selling point for the audience - than the director and sometimes even the stars, but the current model is definitely a first. These corporations succeded in having people become fans of their own brand, much like it happened in other sectors of the economy.

Some people associate Netflix (or streaming) with TV movies, which is far from true. Yes, streaming services buy whatever they can to bulk up their 'content', but it's also a new outlet for moviemakers whose work the huge theater concerns no longer find lucrative. Personally speaking, there's nothing in theaters for an old movie fan like me (I also don't like the poor image quality) so I happily embrace Netflix & Co. I don't even care if theaters will go broke.

Most original movies I watched on Netflix recently are shite.

Bird Box - crap

Extraction - crap

That one where Charlize Theron doesn't get old - super crap

Adam Sandler comedies - uber crap

The Midnight Sky - pure crap (except for the great Desplat score)

To be fair, I liked Enola Holmes well enough and The Mitchells vs The Machines (which was a Sony/Columbia movie anyway) was very good.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Most original movies I watched on Netflix recently are shite.

Bird Box - crap

Extraction - crap

That one where Charlize Theron doesn't get old - super crap

Adam Sandler comedies - uber crap

The Midnight Sky - pure crap (except for the great Desplat score)

To be fair, I liked Enola Holmes well enough and The Mitchells vs The Machines (which was a Sony/Columbia movie anyway) was very good.

I really like Bird Box, even on a second viewing and I prefer it over A Quiet Place, even though both movies get a 7/10 from me. I really didn't like Enola Holmes but that's a kids movie so I'm not in a good position to judge. Sound Of Metal  (Prime) is the best movie I've seen in 2020.

34 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Some people associate Netflix (or streaming) with TV movies, which is far from true. Yes, streaming services buy whatever they can to bulk up their 'content', but it's also a new outlet for moviemakers whose work the huge theater concerns no longer find lucrative. Personally speaking, there's nothing in theaters for an old movie fan like me (I also don't like the poor image quality) so I happily embrace Netflix & Co. I don't even care if theaters will go broke.

If you're a fan of old movies, the last place you should go is Netflix. There is almost nothing pre-1970, save for the occasional classic they license from the competitors. But give it a few years and they will only carry their own product. They're massively working in creating as much owned content as they can.

And speaking of that, it's another different matter. As with any film studio, there is both the quality product and the useless dud. I have a feeling they will pursue and produce more and more IP-driven content going on, as they have to compete with juggernauts like Disney, Disco-Warner, MGMazon etc. which are all carrying monstruous four-quadrants IPs. Yes, Netflix might continue to look more arthouse at the eyes of the customer, but they're doing a major work of brand-building so don't be surprised if they will pursue more blockbuster-like fare in the near future.

For good Netflix original movies, check out I Care A Lot, A Futile and Stupid Gesture, I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Okja, Buster Scruggs, Win It All, Marriage Story, The Trial of the Chicago 7, and Gerald's Game

Just now, Muad'Dib said:

Haven't seen Bird Box, but Quiet Place is hot garbage! 

Can't believe it got so hyped, every time I thought it couldn't get any more stupid, it kept surprising me.

True, there were moments where people acted annoyingly stupid, but there were also moments of great tension. I think Bird Box is more interesting because it deals more in human behaviour and therefore quite comparable with Darabont's The Mist.

I lose patience quickly with any movie or show that requires people to panick, or otherwise act stupidly, in order to move the plot forward.  I usually finish movies, even ones I don't think are very good, but this is something that more often than not will cause me to turn it off. Probably why I'm not a big fan of the horror genre in general, which almost requires such tropes.

Even with The Exorcist, I constantly went "What?! Go go upstairs alone!" Of course, it's precisely that where the tension comes from.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

For good Netflix original movies, check out I Care A Lot, A Futile and Stupid Gesture, I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Okja, Buster Scruggs, Win It All, Marriage Story, The Trial of the Chicago 7, and Gerald's Game

Okja is an absolut masterpiece!!!

It's better than Snowpiercer, and then Parasite was even better, so I can't wait to see what Bong Joon-ho does next

Me too.

I first discovered Memories of Murder which is almost as incredible as Parasite and his second movie. Then the Host and Mother were absolutly great too.

It's incredible to think that Snowpiercer might be his worst movie when I already find it really good

Yea I keep meaning to go back and check out his pre-Snowpiercer movies, but haven't yet