Anybody else loves aspect ratios?

I like comparing them. Here is one I did for The Negotiator (1998). Grayscale image is an HDTV screenshot, color image is from the Bluray. I compared them to see, wether the HDTV version is open matte or not.

Comparison.png

After watching Jurassic Park at the cinema when it premiered, I purchased it on a pan & scan VHS. When I finally got the film on widescreen DVD years later, some of the sets looked smaller because they fit in a single frame.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

I thought Drax was back for a second

Someone has to fill the void! Btw, what happened to him? Did the back pain, erectile dysfunction, knee problems, and tinnitus finally get him?

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Someone has to fill the void! Btw, what happened to him? Did the back pain, erectile dysfunction, knee problems, and tinnitus finally get him?

I think he, Justin, maybe Quint all kinda peaced out with that last big rule change. 

Big fan.  While I'm all-in on Cinemascope, I'm always fascinated by those open matte VHS tapes that were uncropped from the original film so there's, like, boom mikes hanging over everyone's heads.

Although nothing can measure up to the NEVER-ENDING ASPECT RATIO that is Disney's Circle*Vision 360.

4 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I like Aspect Ratios. They are a great way to shape the narrative of the film. But I wonder if there is a different way to frame the question?

There's only one way.

16 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

Just as long as it isn’t something dumb like 4:3 in 2021 when everyone will be viewing it on a 16:9 screen. 

I'll take this seriously and point out how many movies in the theater are in a given aspect ratio even though most screens are in another. (I'll generalize to 16:9 and 2.39:1.) I never had a problem with black bars on the top and bottom of my big screen TV when it was 4:3. I don't have a problem with black bars on the side now. If I ever had the luxury of a scope screen TV I certainly wouldn't complain about the black bars on Justice League.

I do remember there was a period in the late 80's / early 90's where I felt a lot of movies were being made with an eye towards living on the TV screen for the rest of their lives. Batman felt this way. Always (there's that movie AGAIN) and The Rocketeer did not.

I always just assumed that everyone wanted to live in Cinemascope. But then I heard the commentary for Buckaroo Banzai where the director said that wide screen was pushed on him. He thought it had lots of limitations, especially for his film.

Of all of the memories to have of a movie, I remember seeing Disney's Atlantis in the cinema. After the trailers the theater pulled the curtains back just a little bit wider. I tried to tell the ten year old sitting next to me that this was exciting! He didn't get it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 3:42 AM, His Royal Noelness said:

Just as long as it isn’t something dumb like 4:3 in 2021 when everyone will be viewing it on a 16:9 screen. 

#SnyderCut
#demblackbars
#YeFisherNeedsToShutUp

It's no secret that the average JWfaner is ultra conservative when it comes to film scores, aspect ratios and color grading.

It’s no secret just have to be different to everyone else in an attempt to seem more forward thinking and eclectic. 

I don't understand why the 2:1 aspect ratio is so popular nowadays.  It doesn't fill any screen in existence (except the Optoma HD20 "Superwide" mode which crops off the top and bottom of the image)