Anybody else loves aspect ratios?

When I once saw a comparison on YouTube of an old 4:3 edit for televion version of a movie (it was "Jaws - The Revernge") which was originally shown in cinema in 2.39:1, I was really surprised, that the 4:3 version actually showed more of the screen than the cinema version. I always thought, they just cut parts from left and right to fit the 4:3 format. But actually in the 4:3 TV version they added parts of the image on top and bottom.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Yeah they often lazily did that, sometimes leaving things in the frame they shouldn't have.

Yes, I remember the first time I watched "Jacob's Ladder" on VHS in 4:3. And I was annoyed, because it seemed 30% of the time you saw a microphone on the upper screen edge. That is especially painful since it is such a visually interesting film.

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

When I once saw a comparison on YouTube of an old 4:3 edit for televion version of a movie (it was "Jaws - The Revernge") which was originally shown in cinema in 2.39:1, I was really surprised, that the 4:3 version actually showed more of the screen than the cinema version. I always thought, they just cut parts from left and right to fit the 4:3 format. But actually in the 4:3 TV version they added parts of the image on top and bottom.

Believe me, the less anyone sees of Jaws The Revenge, the better.

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Believe me, the less anyone sees of Jaws The Revenge, the better.

That is a fact. 

I once saw (partly) on TV a ridiculous movie called "Sharknado" about a tornado that lifts gnawing killer sharks out of the sea to Los Angeles where they then kill the people in the streets. And that movie was better than Jaws The Revenge.