A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2021 20th Anniversary Edition (reissue of 2015 3CD set) from La-La Land Records

Chewy

10 hours ago, Chewy said:

RotS is definitely cleaner and the usual 15.735 kHz frequencies that are inherent to the recording are very "precise" on RotS compared to TPM and AotC.

There is no 15.735 kHz tone in the TPM or RotS spectrograms.

The Revenge of the Sith 2018 release has distortion present over the Battle of the Heroes segment of the credits - it's egregiously bad. Not sure how anyone didn't notice when making the set.

These are much clearer examples, @Chewy, than the wider frequency range spectrograms you posted above (to which I was referring in my comment). Thanks for posting. And yes, it should be 15.625 kHz (25x625) for the original sequel recordings.

• 3 weeks later...

A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: 20th ANNIVERSARY
LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET) LLLCD 1353
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $39.98

STARTS SHIPPING JUNE 30

Order yours starting June 22 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

AI_20th_Anniversary-Web.jpg

To commemorate this landmark film’s 20th Anniversary, La-La Land Records, Warner Bros. and Warner Records proudly present a limited edition re-issue of maestro John Williams’ (JAWS, STAR WARS, EMPIRE OF THE SUN, SCHINDLER’S LIST), Oscar-Nominated original motion picture score to the acclaimed 2001 Warner Bros. science-fiction drama A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, starring Haley Joel Osment, Jude Law and Frances O’Connor, and directed by Steven Spielberg. The legendary Spielberg-Williams collaboration gives birth to yet another masterful score – one that is complex, lyrical and deeply haunting. Considered one of the most moving and spectral works of Mr. Williams’ career, this astounding piece is given the deluxe treatment it has always warranted with this stunning 3-CD presentation. Produced, assembled and mastered by Mike Matessino, with the cooperation of the composer and the director, this limited edition re-issue of 3000 units presents the Film Score across two CDs, with a third disc of Additional Music. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond take you behind the thought-provoking film and its score, while classic art direction by Jim Titus rounds out this must-have experience - one that will be treasured by all film music enthusiasts.

This re-issue contains the same presentation and content as our original release of this title.

The emailer must be wrong about the catalog number, as 1353 was the # of the old edition

I had no idea this reissue was for another 3,000 copies - that's great!

I wonderful score that deserves to be in print for all to discover

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

The emailer must be wrong about the catalog number, as 1353 was the # of the old edition

I had no idea this reissue was for another 3,000 copies - that's great!

Maybe the number's a mistake they left in then, too - isn't the rest of the blurb partly copypasted?

Oh yea, you're right!  The flyer (which you can see in the main post of this thread) indicates it's for 2,000 more copies, not 3,000.

I guess LLL needs a proofreader for their emailers :)

3 hours ago, Holko said:

A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: 20th ANNIVERSARY
LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET) LLLCD 1353
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $39.98

STARTS SHIPPING JUNE 30

Order yours starting June 22 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

AI_20th_Anniversary-Web.jpg

To commemorate this landmark film’s 20th Anniversary, La-La Land Records, Warner Bros. and Warner Records proudly present a limited edition re-issue of maestro John Williams’ (JAWS, STAR WARS, EMPIRE OF THE SUN, SCHINDLER’S LIST), Oscar-Nominated original motion picture score to the acclaimed 2001 Warner Bros. science-fiction drama A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, starring Haley Joel Osment, Jude Law and Frances O’Connor, and directed by Steven Spielberg. The legendary Spielberg-Williams collaboration gives birth to yet another masterful score – one that is complex, lyrical and deeply haunting. Considered one of the most moving and spectral works of Mr. Williams’ career, this astounding piece is given the deluxe treatment it has always warranted with this stunning 3-CD presentation. Produced, assembled and mastered by Mike Matessino, with the cooperation of the composer and the director, this limited edition re-issue of 3000 units presents the Film Score across two CDs, with a third disc of Additional Music. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond take you behind the thought-provoking film and its score, while classic art direction by Jim Titus rounds out this must-have experience - one that will be treasured by all film music enthusiasts.

This re-issue contains the same presentation and content as our original release of this title.

I figured this was a straight reissue of the original release from 2015, just with a slightly different front cover. It’s nice for anybody who missed out on getting it the first time around. Still, I will be updating the front cover for my Apple Music library.

And it's up for sale!

https://lalalandrecords.com/a-i-artificial-intelligence-20th-anniversary-limited-edition-3-cd-set/

Looks like the catalog number is 1353R, how about that.

The website also says 3,000 copies thrice, even though the June flyer said 2,000 copies

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

The website also says 3,000 copies thrice, even though the June flyer said 2,000 copies

Great! The more people have a chance to get this magnificent score the better!

On the one hand now I regret a little bit paying a hundred bugs for it to a reseller at the beginning of the year. On the other hand this CD package really gave me a good time during my COVID-19 recovery.

So, the regret is quite negligible.

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

On the one hand now I regret a little bit paying a hundred bugs for it to a reseller at the beginning of the year. On the other hand this CD package really gave me a good time during my COVID-19 recovery.

So, the regret is quite negligible.

Think of it this way: you'll be able to sell it for the same price on the second-hand market once this newer batch sells out. ;)

But ultimately, as you say, the enjoyment you get from listening to a release is priceless.

Quick question: Does anyone know if the use of "Once Upon a Dream" diegetically (for Martin in cryo) was something Kubrick intended to be used (like the Rosenkavalier situation), or is it just something Spielberg & co. found appropriate, because -- you know -- SLEEPING BEAUTY? And the fact that Monica reads a fairytale for him?

46 minutes ago, Thor said:

Quick question: Does anyone know if the use of "Once Upon a Dream" diegetically (for Martin in cryo) was something Kubrick intended to be used (like the Rosenkavalier situation), or is it just something Spielberg & co. found appropriate, because -- you know -- SLEEPING BEAUTY? And the fact that Monica reads a fairytale for him?

This is all Williams says on Sleeping Beauty:

Though he follows that with: "This quotation of Strauss was the one piece of music that Stanley Kubrick requested Steven leave in the film. We don't know why."

Which answers your question!

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Though he follows that with: "This quotation of Strauss was the one piece of music that Stanley Kubrick requested Steven leave in the film. We don't know why."

That's referring to Rosenkavalier.

33 minutes ago, Holko said:

That's referring to Rosenkavalier.

He’s saying that if the Strauss is “the one” (as in the only) piece of music that Kubrick requested then he didn’t request Tchaikovsky

Yeah, forgot he said "the one piece" in that interview. So the Tchaikovsky/"Once Upon a Dream" thing appears to be something Spielberg & co. concocted on their own.

On 6/23/2021 at 12:41 PM, Remco said:

Happy that I can now finally own this wonderful presentation of one of my favorite filmscores of all time.

Mine too.It’s in my Top 5

This is one of the very few JW sets that I bought 3 times! One I gave my girlfriend, one was for myself, and I forgot what I did with the 3rd... I probably still have it somewhere, still sealed. 

And no, I'm not gonna by this edition now, just because it says 20th Anniversary on the front. :D

The film turns 20 years old TODAY!

And for the occasion, I wrote this tribute article - in Norwegian. I've already run it through Google Translate for you, in case you're interested (wonky as the language may turn out):

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://celluloidtunes.no/a-i-artificial-intelligence-john-williams/ 

My favourite film of the millennium, and favourite score too.

That was a great piece, @TownerFan .  Thank you for sharing.

Is Tim Greiving well known in the film score community? I thought it was strange he seemed relatively-well versed in Williams’ use of themes and classical references in the film until I noticed he was listed as a film score journalist. There must not be many of those, but I haven’t heard of him. 

From the LLL Records website:

A.I. SHIPPING DELAY: This title was supposed to be in stock on 6/30, but the manufacturer has just informed us it is delayed. A.I. will now start shipping on July 12 (or before if it arrives ahead of July 12). We apologize for the delay and thank you for your continued patience.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:08 AM, Jay said:

Yes, he's been writing liner notes for various albums for decades

Has it really been 20 years or more? I didn't think Tim was that old!

I know his first time writing liner notes for a Goldsmith release was Intrada's complete The Trouble With Angels in 2015, six years ago. When was his first time writing liner notes at all? When he first joined us on The Goldsmith Odyssey as guest co-host, I don't remember if he mentioned... but he did mention getting his start as a writer with Film Score Monthly, and I know he spoke about his background a decent amount and how he got to where he is:
His first appearance on the podcast: https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1210706-episode-19-the-twilight-zone-dust-1961

Second half of first appearance: https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1305991-episode-20-the-twilight-zone-back-there-1961

It was also great to welcome him back recently to talk about Lionheart: https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8621034-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-lionheart-1987

Tim is one of the best favorite film music journalists working today, and has been for some time. Here's his website to see more of what he's been up to:

https://timgreiving.com/

Yavar

I could have been wrong about the amount of time it's been, I defer to your knowledge

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I could have been wrong about the amount of time it's been, I defer to your knowledge

I honestly don't know. I'd have to ask Tim probably. I thought maybe you had more detailed knowledge. :) 

Yavar

On 6/30/2021 at 3:04 AM, TownerFan said:

Tim Greiving wrote a really nice retrospective article about the making of the movie, with quotes from several people who worked on the film:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2021/6/29/22553929/ai-artificial-intelligence-steven-spielberg-stanley-kubrick

Checked out the article and was dismayed to learn about yet another cool deleted scene that Spielberg has refused to release

• 2 weeks later...

Found on LLL website:

A.I. - DISC 1 & 3 REPLACEMENT NOTICE: There was a manufacturing error with Disc 1 and Disc 3 of our A.I. 20th Anniversary Reissue which resulted in the wrong master being featured on those discs. We are pausing future sales of this title until the corrected sets are in stock. If you purchased this title from us, please e-mail us at info@lalaland-ent.com (with the subject heading AI DISC 1&3) and include your full name and mailing address in your e-mail. We will ship you a corrected DISC 1 and DISC 3 as soon as we have them in stock. We apologize for the inconvenience and we're working hard to correct this issue in a timely fashion.

Wrong master? If contents are the same, why would the manufacturing plant have multiple versions? Or did they switch up discs 1 and 3? Or put the wrong score on them?

The FSM Thread has some details from folks who received it. Seems some tracks are duplicated and (maybe) there are a couple unreleased alternates? Maybe. I don't have the disc and have done no digging on it so I can't say.