A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2021 20th Anniversary Edition (reissue of 2015 3CD set) from La-La Land Records

Chewy

No.

All copies of the edition released in 2015 are correct.

All copies of the 2021 re-issue are also correct...

...EXCEPT the first 100 or so copies they mailed out this July.  If you ordered the 2021 edition in June/July of this year, you got the misprint.

Otherwise, you have the normal version.

Now that's clear, thanks Jay.

It seems there's no way to reproduce this 5:33 intented album track without editing, am I right?

If we combine the two tracks on the expansion, it makes a 7:49 track.

05 Abandoned In The Woods / The Journey To Rouge City (5:33)

• Same as the final OST track "Rouge City", except the Strauss quote wasn't edited out and awkwardly replaced with a tracked section of "The Mecha World"

You don't need to manually re-create the originally intended OST yourself - you just need to get the 2CD oscar promo, and you have it.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:52 AM, Jay said:

all of CD1 and the first two tracks of CD2 actually ARE this original OST album

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The discs being sent out if you buy it now are 100% identical to the discs from 2015.

Less than 100 copies of the misprinted version were sent out before they shut it down. 

The misprint has 4 brand new tracks on disc 4, a cue that was on disc 4 is instead edited chronologically into its place on disc 1, and there are slight mastering differences.

Did you mean "disc 3"?

• 4 months later...

Hello I'm thinking of buying this 3 CD set. It doesn't include the original album which I'm happy about. The addition of a second disc featuring the original soundtrack album usually puts me off. I know its sacrilege but to me it's a waste of a disc. Anyway can someone advise me which version of AI to get plus the serial number as I understand there was some kind of problem with faulty discs (?) with the 2015 release? Cheers R

The set LLL is selling on their website now is identical to the set released in 2015, they just changed some text and the catalog number. 

There was a faulty pressing of less than 100 copies when the 2021 reissue first came out that had extra music, but that can now only be found on an eBay or discogs type site if someone is willing to part with one. 

Popped the disc into my computer, launched iTunes and this is how the metadata is tagged in the grace note database.  So I did get the right-wrong one.Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 10.36.57 AM.png

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Popped the disc into my computer, launched iTunes and this is how the metadata is tagged in the grace note database.  So I did get the right-wrong one.Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 10.36.57 AM.png

You should file a complaint.

Can anyone 

A. Tell me the best way to order this set to avoid high postal costs as I live in Scotland. 

B. Provide a list of all the different themes/motifs with timestamps. 

I watched this great movie again yesterday after many years. Yes it's pure dairy product but great nevertheless. Ah wiz greetin like a big wean at the end! 

6 minutes ago, stravinsky said:

Can anyone 

A. Tell me the best way to order this set to avoid high postal costs as I live in Scotland. 

There probably isn't a cheap option for you, but the cheapest is probably https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/10503-ai-artificial-intelligence-20th-anniversary-edition.html

6 minutes ago, stravinsky said:

B. Provide a list of all the different themes/motifs with timestamps. 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20394-score-ai-artificial-intelligence-john-williams-a-complete-score-analysis/

The booklet in the set also describes the themes, though there isn't a timestamp for every appearance

4 minutes ago, Antonb said:

Only way to cut down on postage is if you know someone in the states , have it sent to them, and when they visit you, get them to bring it! I kid you not!

Wow. Cheers anyway 

5 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Thankyou very much Indeed

1 minute ago, Jay said:

There probably isn't a cheap option for you, but the cheapest is probably https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/10503-ai-artificial-intelligence-20th-anniversary-edition.html

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20394-score-ai-artificial-intelligence-john-williams-a-complete-score-analysis/

The booklet in the set also describes the themes, though there isn't a timestamp for every appearance

Again thankyou kindly for your VAST knowledge. 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

My wife wants us to move to Scotland after we retire

That’s interesting.  Mind if I ask why?  Traditional retirees in the US head for warm sunny climates.  I’m finding the older I get, the more I appreciate the beauty of cloudy or snowy days. 

• 2 weeks later...
    3 hours ago, BennyfromBerlin said:

I have the “mis-print” copies and I might be willling to sell them. Any good suggestions where?

Well, there is a Marketplace right here on this site.

• 1 year later...

That's a great album.  I also recommend "Whisper of a Thrill" from Meet Joe Black (Thomas Newman), "Pride and Prejudice" (Carl Davis from the BBC miniseries), and "La Califfa" (Morricone).

On 13/08/2023 at 1:48 AM, crumbs said:

Not sure if this has ever been posted but I just discovered this stunning flute version of Where Dreams Are Born. It fits right at home near the end of LLL disc 3 so I'll probably integrate this into my playlist.

It reiterates the genius of Williams' writing, in that you can substitute a vocal line for an instrument and not only does it click immediately but takes on a life of its own, as if it was always intended for flute.

Wow, that is lovely!  Nice find and thanks for sharing!

• 4 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

This is back in stock at LLL, but does anybody know if it will become available to order from Intrada?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it did appear on Intrada and I ordered it. Never heard the OST or seen the film before, but so far I’ve had excellent experiences blind purchasing JW albums like this (Far and Away, Minority Report, and most recently Hook).

What should I expect from this score, and what makes it unique among JW’s works?

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

So I've been listening to this release a whole lot, and thanks to the cue information in the CD booklet and Jay's amazing spreadsheet resource, I think I'm getting my head around all the cues and where they belong.

I did make an interesting (I hope) observation. I noticed that all the cues which contain Barbara Bonney's vocal solos were recorded on the same day: 15th March 2001. While there's nothing uncommon about the practice of allocating the recording of certain cues requiring the presence of vocal/instrumental soloists to particular day/time, what interests me is that 15th March seems to be the very LAST day of recording sessions for the film. Additionally, 2 key cues Bonney ultimately appeared in had already been recorded at earlier sessions WITHOUT her: 7m1+2 Finding the Blue Fairy (Alternate) was recorded on 12th February, featuring a completely instrumental version of the Blue Fairy theme, and 7m5 What Is Your Wish? was recorded on 7th March, featuring full choir and no solo vocals. 8m3 End Credits (Where Dreams Are Born) and A.I. Theme No. 2 (Vocal Version) were also recorded on 15th March, and they have no earlier versions to my knowledge - Perhaps they were the last things Williams wrote once he knew he would have access to a vocalist?

My question is: Was the idea to feature solo vocals as a key motific/emotional element in this score a last minute decision, one that came about only when Williams was asked/chose to revise certain cues?

If anyone has any insight to share on this, I would be grateful. I love this score and it is fascinating to imagine that there might once have existed a version of it that didn't feature solo female voice, given how impactful that element of the score is in the finale of the film.

1 hour ago, Trope said:

My question is: Was the idea to feature solo vocals as a key motific/emotional element in this score a last minute decision, one that came about only when Williams was asked/chose to revise certain cues?

No insight on that. But I would say, the female solo voice represents the mother or better the childs love for the mother. And maybe that human voice was added to give this artificial kid's feelings more of an actual real and human touch and make clear, this is not just some synthetic conditioning but same as real human emotion. And at the screening they felt, there was something missing.

Would make sense to me.

Or it was planned from the beginning, but the singer had no time before the last day of recording. Or it's like, when rock and pop bands are recording, the vocals are usually the last track to be recorded. Could be just the same procedure.

I don't have any answers to these questions, but I love these kinds of insights!