Will you buy the new Expanded Edition of "Always" from LLL?

Josh500

Always from La-La Land   

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy the new Expanded Edition of "Always" from LLL?

2. 2. When have you listened to "Always" (the score) the last time?

• This week.
    • This month.
    • This year.
    • More than a year ago.
    • Can't remember for the life of me.
    • I don't know this score / I have never listened to it.

I'm excited we're getting a new JW expanded score, sure, but I gotta admit, Always is among my least listened JW scores. Considering that it's a score which was written at the height of JW's career (right between the Indiana Jones trilogy and the new phase which was kicked of by Jurassic Park/Schindler's List), that's rather telling... 

But I'll definitely get it, one way or another, and look forward to really delve into this score. Oh, I've seen the movie only once, and thought it's nothing to write home about. 

No, I will not buy it (obviously).

Can't remember the last time I listened to ALWAYS, but it's definitely more than a year ago. In fact, I've been playing relatively little Williams over the last year. These things come and go in phases, is my experience.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Can't remember the last time I listened to ALWAYS, but it's definitely more than a year ago. In fact, I've been playing relatively little Williams over the last year. These things come and go in phases, is my experience.

I actually like the Always adaptation found on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration album! That one's definitely my most listened to track from Always... Don't know the OS album at all, although I probably listened to it once or twice years ago. 

22 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm sure I had Dorinda Solo Flight at one point in the distant past, but I couldn't tell you now what it sounds like.

No current plans to buy this set.

Somehow I'm certain this one won't sell out for some time... 

Maybe in 5-6 years!? 

I'm sure it has appeal amongs hardcore JW fans, such as many people here.

But for those more casual fans, who selectively buy now and then, it doesn't strike me as an essential purchase.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

So do you prefer to write about Williams instead of actually listening to his music? 

2 minutes ago, Steve said:

So do you prefer to write about Williams instead of actually listening to his music? 

Right now, yes. I've listened to so much Williams over the years that I need periodic breaks. Plus, there's so much else to listen to. I'll get back to him in due time, either with a single album or two, or a "Williams groove". As I said - phases.

Actually, I have to correct myself a bit -- I'm currently listening to bits and pieces of A.I. for an article I'm writing.

47 minutes ago, rough cut said:

What way is “another”?

I walk into a certain store and just buy it. The proprietor always orders a bunch of these hot new releases and puts one aside for me. I have connections. 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I'll buy any JW solo expansion, even... gulp, Images!

Duh, me too. Although I'm not sure how much I'm gonna listen to it... 😂 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Not buying it since I don't know the movie or score and am not planning to watch it any time soon either.

Here you go. Watch this video and you'll get a very good idea what this score is all about. Actually it's a very lovely, very emotional score... Kind of underrated. I suspect that in many respects it's on the same level as Sabrina, Angela's Ashes, orThe Book Thief, as far as quality and general appeal go.

Terrible film inconsequential score. No need to purchase another dust collector.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Right now, yes. I've listened to so much Williams over the years that I need periodic breaks. Plus, there's so much else to listen to. I'll get back to him in due time, either with a single album or two, or a "Williams groove". As I said - phases.

Actually, I have to correct myself a bit -- I'm currently listening to bits and pieces of A.I. for an article I'm writing.

Yes, I agree about that. However, my Williams-free periods usually last less than a month. He simply has done so much music that you can hear it without much repetition.

Just rewatched the trailer... I think one problem with this movie is that both Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter somehow seem awfully miscast. They don't strike me as the best choices for a romantic movie. The best thing about this movie, except the score, is definitely Audrey Hepburn! 

It is a remake in which SS failed, horribly. Perhaps it deserves a better remake.

Can't say that a neo-Steinerian Americana score excites me... I think it's my least favourite Williams mode. Even though "well-crafted", it seems like a worthy companion to the sort of shallow, bland sentimentality Spielberg enjoys presenting onscreen, but I don't enjoy watching.

So to sum it up, most people will buy it, although most people don't know the score or haven't listened to it for a long time.... 

I bought it.  Honestly, it’s pretty rare that I sit down and listen to an album in full, even my absolute favorite scores - usually I’m shuffling around - so it’s well over a year ago for me. 

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So to sum it up, most people will buy it, although most people don't know the score or haven't listened to it for a long time.... 

Just because I haven't listened to it in years doesn't mean I'm unfamiliar with it. The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration was my third CD back in 1994, so I've listened to the suite on it at least dozens of times, and I have Dorinda Solo Flight on another compilation. I can clearly recall both in my head, and I'm looking forward to rediscovering the rest of the score with the new release.

I bought it, it's rather boring in toto, but the soaring/romantic parts are much closer to my heart today than they were in my march & action days. And as far as i can judge, there are several additions of that thematic material. I certainly wouldn't rebuy Star Wars, though. :lol:

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Just because I haven't listened to it in years doesn't mean I'm unfamiliar with it.

And I never said that. 

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm looking forward to rediscovering the rest of the score with the new release.

Same!