Suite from The Rare Breed

Alfonso Tornero

A question for the scholars:

The only recording of this suite is in the remarkable CD Close Encounters · The Essential John Williams Film Music Collection [1999], conducted by Nic Raine. I have never heard about any performance of this piece in live concert. Does anyone know if John Williams can be credited with the arrangement or preparation of this suite, or is it only a product from the pen of an anonymous arranger or even Raine himself? As far as I know, no printed edition of this suite is avalaible, and that points to a "non-original" arrangement.

1116782227_1966-02-02CloseEncountersTheEssentialJohnWilliams(SuitefromTheRareBreed).jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Close Encounters compilation album itself credits the Rare Breed arrangements/orchestrations to John Williams/R. Franklin. Probably it is an unofficial arrangement since certainly no official signature edition exists.

As I said, those recordings were very likely made using the original manuscripts, from which new parts were created. How they obtained the full score manuscripts, it's unclear. Back in the day, Fitzpatrick worked a lot with music copyists agencies and studio libraries, so it's likely he got a hold of those in some way or another. Back then, there was much less control and awareness of what was out there (officially or not) in terms of sheet music available to perform.

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

Back then, there was much less control and awareness of what was out there (officially or not) in terms of sheet music available to perform.

Indeed. Miss those days.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if this full suite is available for purchase and download from anywhere? I think this is the full suite?:

11.  1966: The Rare Breed - Suite (05:30)
Universal Emblem / Hilary's Plight / Double Crossed / Tallow Ho
12.  1966: The Rare Breed - Suite (02:41)
Scottish Romeo / The Hunt
13.  1966: The Rare Breed - Suite (05:59)
On His Own
14.  1966: The Rare Breed - Suite (04:23)
The Cross-Breed / End Credits

I can find "Universal Emblem / Hilary's Plight / Scottish Romeo / The Hunt" (08:35, which seems to combine parts of the first two tracks) and "The Cross Breed/ End Credits" (4:24) but can't find "On His Own" anywhere.