Suite from Black Sunday

Alfonso Tornero

A question for the scholars:

A Suite from Black Sunday recording with a length of 14 minutes was presented in the cd Jurassic Park · The Classic John Williams [1993], conducted by William Motzing. Some experts from these forums affirm, and I agree with them, that the recording offered in the cd Close Encounters · The Essential John Williams Film Music Collection [1999] is the same 1993 recording, but re-edited and reduced for some indiscernible reason. Does anyone know if John Williams can be credited with the arrangement or preparation of this suite, or is it a product from the pen of an anonymous arranger or even Motzing himself?

2024531783_1977-04-011993JurassicParkTheClassicJohnWilliams(SuitefromBlackSunday).jpg

I remember, that the Canadian guy from cinematic radio edited a montage of Black Sunday, if I'm not mixing with another score... in other words, make your own edit!

Hey @Erik Woods!

I can't add much as to the origin of the suite, but I do remember it being one of the more interesting cuts on that Silva compilation, which was largely a pretty poorly performed selection. I don't know if it was luck, chance or lack of anything to compare, but Silva always seemed to get better performances out of less well known music. I never understood why the original 14 minute suite was cut down as the full selection was pretty great. It's one of those random tracks I wouldn't mind having in my collection.

I own a bootleg of the Towering Inferno score that has as bonus a 24 minutes!!! suite of The Towering Inferno and a 10 minutes suite from Black Sunday, of course no credit from where these recordings were.

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I own a bootleg of the Towering Inferno score that has as bonus a 24 minutes!!! suite of The Towering Inferno and a 10 minutes suite from Black Sunday, of course no credit from where these recordings were.

The Towering Inferno suite is likely a combination of the 3 tracks (Main Title, Planting the Charges, & An Architect's Dream) from the following Varese Sarabande compilation...
Towering_Inferno_VSD5807.jpg

... and the Main Titles from the following Silva compilation...

Music_John_Williams_40Year_TVPMCD 810.jp

The track timings are 5:01, 11:01, 3:31, and 5:06, respectively, which adds up to approximately 24:39.

The Black Sunday suite is likely the Motzing recording (13+ minutes), first released on the following Edel CD and later by Silva as the OP has indicated...

Best_of_John_Williams_Edel27482.jpg

I like the Silva suite. It was the only music I had of BLACK SUNDAY for years. Same for THE RARE BREED, although that STILL remains the only recording of that to this day.