What is your number one wish for JW's Indiana Jones 5 score?

crumbs

That it's more interesting than INDY IV, I suppose. Less bompetibop whimsical action cues. A couple of strong, new themes, perhaps. Longlined themes, not just motivic. No broad and predictable Americana. But as I've been fairly disappointed by most JW scores since 2005 (except maybe WAR HORSE and THE POST), my expectations are really, really low. So "anything goes"! :)

That it continues Williams's "last Romantic" operatic style from TROS, mutatis mutandis.

Imagine a motorcycle / train night chase scored in this style:

I hope the Berliner Philharmoniker will inspire him in some way.

1 hour ago, ConorPower said:

Assuming that the Phoebe Waller-Bridge characters is a sidekick, I'd love some heroic theme for her. His music for Rey and Rose recently has stepped beyond the female "love theme" cliché.

This reads as a criticism of Williams.  If the female's role is principally a love interest, then he appropriately  scores her has such; otherwise not.  He has plenty of female non-love themes throughout his oeuvre, but, again, they are molded according to how the director portrays the character.  

I really hope the Indy V score mimics The Last Crusade in terms of globe trotting and emotion.

I also want statements of the Raiders March similar to 'Indy's Home' from Raiders and the lovely statement of the B theme in 'Sinister Visitors' from Crusade.  Assuming the story calls for it, but with Indy's age, I'm not sure why it wouldn't.

The softer moments do more for me and the character than the big moments at times.  Although I'd love for full on brilliant Indy fanfares when the time is right.

KOTCS lacked those sentimental moments that The Raiders March can provide.

Some new trek music would be great.

I'm leaving out the obvious (sidekicks, villains and artifact themes) because I think those will be good.

What just occured to me is that we are going to see Indiana Jones operate in times when Johnny Williams was already a prolific composer.

All bets are off what (if anything) could Williams pull from the "sound of the era".

48 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Those days are over...

For the most part, yes.  However, I had no complaints about The Last Jedi.  Okay, well I had all sort of complaints, but not about the way the score was treated.  

I just listened to The Miracle of the Ark for the first time in a long time. Something like that, that's what I want to hear. But more epic, more intense, more "wow", and more cowbell. 

On 6/26/2021 at 2:06 PM, eitam said:

Number 1 wish: something as good as Rise of Skywalker (at least one good new theme, great new statements of old themes, a few good action cues, some old fashioned strings à la Join Me, something elegiac à la Farewell...)

Number 2 wish: another oscar. It's about time. Nearly 30 years after Schindler's List.

He deserves an Oscar for Indy. It's late so it's more of a lifetime achievement award at this point, much like Martin Scorsese winning for The Departed. I am sure the score will be deserving (The Departed certainly was) but it's not going to be Raiders and The Departed wasn't Raging Bull or Taxi Driver.

On 7/1/2021 at 12:02 PM, Jay said:
On 4/13/2021 at 3:39 PM, Jay said:

I hope this score has a really good, strong, memorable, long-lined theme for the film's macguffin.

Raider's Ark Theme is amazing

Temple of Doom's Shankara Stones Theme is great

Last Crusade's Grail Theme is amazing

Crystal Skull's Crystal Skull Theme is..... eh... it's fine

Let's go back to the strong memorable themes that the biblical artifacts had!

At the very least, I hope it's more like Tintin's Unicorn Theme, and less like the Call Of The Crystal...

Expand  

I love Call of the Crystal...

30 minutes ago, Hedji said:

More seriously, why on earth did Williams never bring back the “Using the Whip to Get The Job Done” motif established when Indy and Satipo swing across the pit and when Indy Climbs The Statue?   It’s so badass, promising the audience that they were about to watch a professional do something dangerous and to get ready for the adrenaline rush.

You know it's funny, I never knew what to call that motif.  Has it been named on this forum?  But it basically is a motif for Indy that's never referenced again in the other films.

On 6/28/2021 at 4:07 PM, JTWfan77 said:

That Willie's Theme is reprised for her cameo.

That would be great indeed. Even better if he created an entended concert piece of the treme.

But what I do hope is that following the film all scores are finally released complete.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:18 AM, May the Force be with You said:

That it actually happens!

Otherwise, a beautiful farewell score like the one in TROS will be more than welcomed.

(I also secretly hope to hear a bit of Map Room: Dawn)

Oh Id be disappointed if it was rise of Skywalker. That score was completely forgotten the moment I got out of my seat. 

I hope it soars like few film scores today. 

My one wish is that Williams will stick a full quote of that Whip-crackaway tune from The Deadwood Stage! Maybe Harrison could wink at the camera at that moment. 

On 7/4/2021 at 2:33 AM, blondheim said:

It's late so it's more of a lifetime achievement award at this point, much like Martin Scorsese winning for The Departed.

My sentiment too.

Things I reckon are potentially likely (as an improvement over KotCS), without going into rosy tinted territory.

- As already said by Jay, a memorable, concert-able theme for the Macguffin. I don't find the Skull theme (nor, unfortunately, Irina's theme) anywhere near interesting to warrant the suite it got - in fact they're possibly the dullest themes for a major franchise score I've ever heard from JW.

- Memorable mystery/tension/drama underscore. We know Williams can give us a cracking action set piece (the full Jungle Chase is a modern classic), but KotCS severely lacked for me in the tension/dramatic scoring.

Things that are certain:

- An album that's all over the place, chronologically, a 103rd new re-recording of the Raiders March, and at least one or two baffling exclusions. No one should kid theirselves that we're magically going to get a longer, or more comprehensively assembled album. John Williams does not do that.

I liked KOTCS a lot more than I expected to after seeing the film. I know I walk a lonely road here but I really enjoy the Call of the Crystal.  It legitimized the extra-terrestrial concept for me. However, I also hope for more of a Tintin-style MacGuffin theme this time. I have been wanting to hear a post-Tintin Indy ever since I first heard Tintin in 2011.

I agree that we will get another classic Williams-style album, which is as it should be imo. I find Williams choices always help in understanding his own perception of his scores. Whether I agree with his exclusions/inclusions, I would be upset if we didn't have an OST in that style for Indy 5. Call me OCD or a completist but I'm just thinking about my shelf here.