John Williams - Prayerful/Calming/Meditative Cues

JohnnyD

I just felt like making this thread. See if you can come up with a list of cues from the Maestro's work that gives a prayerful, calming, and meditative state of mind, be it orchestra, choir and orchestra or solo instrumentation. Go!

51 minutes ago, Bespin said:

John Williams don't write meditative music, look for Yanni instead!

What's the matter with you? Jeez...

Binary sunset.  Jurassic Park Hymnal part, Hymn to the Fallen. Munich Prayer for Peace.  Minority Report New Beginning.  Lincoln With Malice Toward None string version. Many of his concertos have broad lyrical movements, like the final of the horn and bassoon, that I think would qualify.  

I would qualify Jurassic Park as an inspirational score, but that's not the subject of this thread.

John Williams is not really the kind of composer to chill to. There are more atmospheric composers, like Thomas Newman (1917, American Beauty, Finding Nemo, Road to Perdition, The Green Mile).

"Yoda and the Younglings" from Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones.

"Contact" from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

"Bonding" from Munich.

"E.T. and Me"

"A Tree for My Bed" from Jurassic Park.

"Cinque's Theme", "Cinque's Memories of Home", " Tale of the Lion's Tooth", "Discovering the Bible", "Prisoner's Song", "African Violet", Adams' Address to the Court / Adams' Summation", "The Verdict", "Going Home" from Amistad.

"The Bridge - Remembering Mother", "The Great Hall Ceiling", "Summoning the Patronus" (0:00-0:36, 1:12-1:40), "Sirius and Harry" from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Just to add to the thread and name a few that have not been mentioned. I personally could go on, but it is too time consuming; I'll let others mention specific pieces not yet mentioned.

The parameters here can be interpreted in many different ways, as the suggestions attest to. For me, there's a big difference between 'prayerful' (which could be closer to what I often call John Williams' "religious sound") and 'meditative', which would be something more static and circular, like the "Pete in Heaven" track from ALWAYS.