Hans Zimmer & Stanley Meyer's THE WIND (1986) - 2021 Premiere by Note For Note Music

Jay

Coming next month a score never available on CD & digital by Academy Award winning powerhouse composer, Hans Zimmer. Details coming soon...

May be an image of brick wall and text that says 'COMING SOON'

https://www.facebook.com/notefornotemusic/posts/3070910326466314

https://notefornotemusic.com/

Bird on a Wire seems like a reasonable guess, although it’s not really one of Zimmer’s better action scores.

Has A League of Their Own gotten a score release?

I wonder if The Fan would count, it only had a compilation album but the compilation had a 20-minute score suite.

Or maybe it’ll be something more recent like The Weather Man...

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

79B4BF5E-939B-4A5A-884B-55FE6A19CD12.jpeg

Hans is not happy. 

At the risk of undercutting a joke I'm missing...that's not the real Hans.

I made sure to check back on the screenshots that were made of the whole Southall debacle, and the profile picture matches, so unless this is someone who is that committed to the bit, then I don't see anything suggesting this is an imposter so far.

Incredibly odd behavior for someone who seriously urged two budget conscience up and coming composers to pay musicians for their craft not too long ago. Must be the isolation blues at this point.

4 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I made sure to check back on the screenshots that were made of the whole Southall debacle, and the profile picture matches, so unless this is someone who is that committed to the bit, then I don't see anything suggesting this is an imposter so far.

Incredibly odd behavior for someone who seriously urged two budget conscience up and coming composers to pay musicians for their craft not too long ago. Must be the isolation blues at this point.

I have no problem with Zimmer's response. The way they post it made it seemed like this was legit from Zimmer.

You're forgetting that this is the label that put out the good sounding version of Rain Man, which had to certainly get approval, given the more extensive effort made to find proper master tapes after the disaster of the previous release.

I'm getting the feeling that it is a legitimate score by Hans, but not one he's particularly proud of, hence this negative response that honestly could be read as sarcastic if you wanted to.

I just realized: the post does say it's never been released on CD and digital. Is there an LP only HZ score out there? Cause it could be that.

12 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

You're forgetting that this is the label that put out the good sounding version of Rain Man, which had to certainly get approval, given the more extensive effort made to find proper master tapes after the disaster of the previous release.

I'm getting the feeling that it is a legitimate score by Hans, but not one he's particularly proud of, hence this negative response that honestly could be read as sarcastic if you wanted to.

I just realized: the post does say it's never been released on CD and digital. Is there an LP only HZ score out there? Cause it could be that.

I don't think I need to read into anything. Basically Zimmer is upset because he felt it was a rip off. Even if you are right, I have no problem with what he said. He clearly didn't approve the way they are advertising it. I think people need to get away from the composers-are-tux-wearing-gentlemen-who-are-polite-as-hell viewpoint.  

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Yes it is. 

There's no verified check by the name. Unless he has another private page?

34 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I assume it's private in some form, since I can't see his comment when I check the post. Plus, he's only posted in specific groups otherwise, so this would line up with that.

Except there's not really much to go off of over why he had that reaction. He doesn't specify the exact manner in which it's a rip off. Is it a score that actually was available digitally one time? Nothing else about the description seems off putting (I doubt he'd bemoan ever getting an Academy Award). Besides, given that these are people's he's worked with to some degree before, why bad mouth a release that'll likely net him extra cash anyway? Is there some behind the scenes legal technicality we're not aware of? In any case, without more details, this comes off as a puzzling reaction.

Given his prior behavior within FB communities (plus an allegation I won't get into for the sake of forum rules), he's not coming off as a particularly appealing person. He can exercise his freeze peach all he wants, but that won't make me like him as an individual much. Perhaps he could explain all this some day, but he doesn't seem particularly interested by the looks of it. In any case, I just hope the music is at the very least interesting.

He openly said that Thomas Newson should have gotten the Academy Award for Shawshank (I disagree) so I am not sure why that was brought up. He probably got this reaction because he didn't approve of the release or they way they were advertising the release. I am not sure what is there to explain. Zimmer himself said he is thin skinned and yes he can say some things that makes him look like a A-hole. Perhaps he is one. Maybe because I follow sports and politics a lot, but a lot of athletes have said worse. If you are a MMA/boxing fan, what Zimmer said is child's play. And didn't Morricone dissed Round Midnight for winning over The Mission? Didn't Elfman said his Batman theme was the only one? Didn't Christian Bale yelled at a production crew? These are people with emotions, not robots.  

5 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

These are people with emotions, not robots.  

We are also people with emotions and not robots and it's perfectly acceptable for me to think that Hans Zimmer is being an ass. We are only human after all.

Also 'someone else has said something worse once' doesn't diminish stuff like this in my eyes. Both are bad. I don't have to think this is acceptable because someone else has said something worse.

Yeah, somehow I don't see how people who make their living beating people up saying bad things makes a composer acting like a stupid child about people who are releasing his score better. Or less bad.

3 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

We are also people with emotions and not robots and it's perfectly acceptable for me to think that Hans Zimmer is being an ass. We are only human after all.

Also 'someone else has said something worse once' doesn't diminish stuff like this in my eyes. Both are bad. I don't have to think this is acceptable because someone else has said something worse.

That is fair, but I guess I just don't it. Zimmer said they it is "some piece of shit some guys are trying to make money with" and that means it is puzzling and he has to explain himself? He clearly one way or another didn't agree with the release and expressed his opinion. Maybe that is just how he authentically thinks? Would it have made a difference if he said "I don't agree with this release" or something?  

Just now, Mephariel said:

He clearly one way or another didn't agree with the release and expressed his opinion.

Why didn't he veto it then? Do something about it? Express this like a normal person?

Just now, Holko said:

Yeah, somehow I don't see how people who make their living beating people up saying bad things makes a composer acting like a stupid child about people who are releasing his score better.

Not sure how expressing his opinion makes him look like a child. If that how I felt, I would have expressed the same thing. Again, I guess I just don't get it. People say worse things at work. 

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Why didn't he veto it then? Do something about it? Express this like a normal person?

Maybe he did try? Who knows. I don't know his situation. He did express this like a normal person. How else should he have expressed it? Be more polite? He probably said what he wanted to say. 

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

I assume it's private in some form, since I can't see his comment when I check the post. Plus, he's only posted in specific groups otherwise, so this would line up with that.

In hindsight, this makes sense. Didn't think he could get away with some of his past rants on a more public account.

As for the issue, I don't know. If he didn't want the release out there, I guess he's entitled to expressing his displeasure about it.

20 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

So if he didn't approve of the release, then shouldn't it not exist in the first place? Or at least would've been more direct in stating that it's not legally allowed and would get lawyers involved? As is, he's angry because he's generally unhappy with the whole project being a thing, which could honestly mean anything. You initial response almost makes it read like you thought he said that they were taking someone else's work and saying it is his, so it honestly comes off more like you're reading too much into his words, since I don't get it otherwise.

I was always under the impression that the MMA/Boxing banter was all an act done to play up the rivalries between the boxers (unless I'm mixing it up with WWE/wrestling). This is a very fucky way to advertise a release if you're badmouthing what practically are supposed to be one of your industry partners. That is not going to look good for future labels that are wanting to release sets of his. The other examples are flawed, since mentioning a composer won an Academy Award makes for good publicity, Morricone likely criticized the film itself and not the people behind it, and Bale was apparently dealing with a bit of rude production person before going off.

And why the hell is the Elfman thing still pissing people off? Does no one remember the "happy, jolly music" claim Zimmer threw out when Begins was coming out? An arguably more dismissive claim, since 89 was the original effort to make the character darker to the mainstream. At least Danny had the courtesy to say positive things about his Batman work, and for his part HZ hasn't fired back on it so far. The fact it still gets brought up just reminds me why I've really haven't liked much modern scoring if this is the kind of thing that becomes a sore sticking point for some.

Maybe it shouldn't exist. Who knows? I don't know his situation. You don't know the situation. Maybe he didn't say it's not legally allowed and would get lawyers involved because that wasn't the case. Or maybe he didn't mention it because he didn't want to get into the details. I didn't read into his words at all. He clearly didn't approve of the release. Maybe there was some beef backstage. The only thing that is apparent is that he is not happy about it. Why is this a big thing? People all around the world have beef with things and expressed their thoughts in a less than polite manner. 

Sometimes MMA/boxers banter is an act. But act or not, MMA fighters can get downright racist. Sometimes punches are thrown. Sometimes people get hurt during the weigh ins. This is not that. And I don't have to use MMA fighters as example. Scottie Pippen just went ballistic and called Phil Jackson a racist. All Zimmer said was that he thinks this is a rip off trying make a quick buck. In the grand scheme of things, this is an angry man expressing his opinion about an upcoming release. That it. I don't care how it looks for future labels. That is Zimmer's problem, not my problem. 

When you say "mentioning a composer won an Academy Award makes for good publicity" that is clearly bias. How do you know he was not being genuine? Maybe both is true. Maybe it is how he thinks AND it is good publicity. But are you projecting too much here? So is Zimmer not allow to praise other composers without being called out for trying to gain publicity? Can't remember where I read it but I thought Morricone said that round midnight should not have been nominated due to existing music. 

Lastly, why do you act like what Elfman said only insulted Zimmer? What about Shirley Walker? What about Goldenthal? What about the themes that they wrote? I don't think Zimmer ever said anything as arrogant about his music. When has Zimmer ever said that his theme is the ONLY theme?

The point is, not sure how a composer expressing his opinion can irk such responses. And it is amusing that everyone suddenly act like they knew the situation and intentions. 

1 minute ago, Mephariel said:

Can't remember where I read it but I thought Morricone said that round midnight should not have been nominated due to existing music. 

...well yeah, that situation was so bad that they revised the rules next year. Also, even if we just take this sentence of yours instead of the full quote, "due to existing music" is already infinitely more information and reasoning than what Zimmer gave here.

3 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

The point is, not sure how a composer expressing his opinion can irk such responses.

It's not that he expressed opinions, it's how he did it.

3 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

And it is amusing that everyone suddenly act like they knew the situation and intentions. 

We don't, he doesn't clarify. Therefore all we see is him being an asshole.

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

...well yeah, that situation was so bad that they revised the rules next year. Also, even if we just take this sentence of yours instead of the full quote, "due to existing music" is already infinitely more information and reasoning than what Zimmer gave here.

It's not that he expressed opinions, it's how he did it.

We don't, he doesn't clarify. Therefore all we see is him being an asshole.

Not "we all." Maybe some fans on this board. Again, you can see him as anything you want, but nobody can explain to me how a composer expressing displeasure at a release is a problem. Morricone and Elfman were literally talking about someone else's work. Zimmer was mad because he didn't agree with a release. Like literally there are millions of people around the world that are expressing displeasure at something right now that you don't know about. And you don't know their situation. Maybe Zimmer doesn't clarify because he is not at liberty to do so? Who knows. He doesn't owe you an explanation. Just like two people having beef don't have to tell you why. Just because you don't know someone's intent doesn't mean that man or woman is an asshole (not to say he isn't one). 

Not "we all." Maybe some fans on this board.

I didn't even say that anywhere in that post.

2 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Morricone and Elfman were literally talking about someone else's work.

And they were saying they are pieces of shit by stupid hacks, right?

Just now, Holko said:

I didn't even say that anywhere in that post.

And they were saying they are pieces of shit by stupid hacks, right?

Sorry I misread your post. 

Not sure what your point is. I can describe someone right now as "a piece of shit." What does that tell you about me? Nothing. I could be talking about a serial killer. If felt like someone was piece of shit, I'll say that. Is the problem just that he is not polite? Zimmer isn't a polite guy, that it?  

7 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Who knows. He doesn't owe you an explanation. Just like two people having beef don't have to tell you why.

So it's not even a warning for his fans, just pissing in the wind insulting partners randomly? That's even better.

Just now, Holko said:

So it's not even a warning for his fans, just pissing in the wind insulting partners randomly? That's even better.

Why does he need to warn his fans? I am part of that group on Facebook. I literally did not see a single Zimmer fan angry about this. The only people who have such a huge problem are certain people on film music communities who frankly speaking, have a pre-existing bias against Zimmer, and/or thinks composers are tuxedo gentlemen who don't cuss. 

As for pissing in the wind insulting partners...that is between Zimmer and his partners. If he thinks that fine, that doesn't affect me. I don't a stake on either party. Again, I don't know who said what and who did what. 

As for pissing in the wind insulting partners...that is between Zimmer and his partners.

Then why comment it on Facebook?

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Then why comment it on Facebook?

Probably because they advertised they are releasing something in his name that he did not approve and he wants to make sure people know he doesn't support this release? 

People express things on Facebook. That is what social media is for.

5 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Why does he need to warn his fans?

Probably because they advertised they are releasing something in his name that he did not approve and wants to make sure people know he doesn't support this release? 

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I thought you meant he needs to warn his fans that he was going to post something vulgar. Not the release. Sorry, way past my bed time.

To me, it just seems like Zimmer being his usual self-critical self. Imagine the post being said 'tongue-in-cheek' - as in "ah, you wanna release this ol' bag?". In any case, nothing that warrants this debate.

Regardless, I'm curious about what this release is. I'm hoping for the wonderful INSIGNIFICANCE (or any other Roeg, really, that he either did solo or with Myers), but Zimmer seems to like those collabs, so I don't think it's that. Time will show!

It’s true that social media is “for expressing yourself.”  It doesn’t matter if it’s someone’s random uncle or celebrity thumb Hans Zimmer - if I see someone expressing themselves like that on Facebook, ive always considered it pretty tone deaf and classless.

"Music is like sentences. A question and response. People who want free Erhus don't understand this." - Hans Zimmer, probably

How come when I go to the entry, I do not see Hans Zimmer's comment?

https://www.facebook.com/notefornotemusic/posts/3070910326466314

Did he delete his comment?  Or does he have settings set where you have to be his friend to see his comments on other people's posts?

This looks legit and I assume it's the account that made the comment.
https://www.facebook.com/hans.zimmer.399

Friends include David Arnold, Christopher Young, Doug Adams, Lucas Kendal, and Bear McCreary. Hans or Note for Note Music must have deleted the comment. Han's reaction? Perhaps a score he doesn't want released but doesn't own the rights. But if that's true isn't his anger misdirected? Shouldn't it be directed at whatever or whoever owns the music? That's a lot of assumptions though^

The company looks legit. I'm not familair with it, but Mel Brooks and Christopher Young have given their blessings to releases. 

Omega Pictures is the licensor, we paid an advance and we are obligated to pay royalties.  Confused by all this but all I'm going to say.

4 hours ago, pete said:

This looks legit and I assume it's the account that made the comment.
https://www.facebook.com/hans.zimmer.399

Friends include David Arnold, Christopher Young, Doug Adams, Lucas Kendal, and Bear McCreary. Hans or Note for Note Music must have deleted the comment. Han's reaction? Perhaps a score he doesn't want released but doesn't own the rights. But if that's true isn't his anger misdirected? Shouldn't it be directed at whatever or whoever owns the music? That's a lot of assumptions though^

The company looks legit. I'm not familair with it, but Mel Brooks and Christopher Young have given their blessings to releases. 

Yep. Every release we put out is properly licensed and royalties are paid.

57 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

Omega Pictures is the licensor

Ah.  So it's one of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_(1986_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zero_Boys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_Exposure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_at_Noon

57 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

Confused by all this

I think Zimmer is calling the music "shit", not this release of it.  Like, he doesn't think it's his best work.

I don't think he was implying the title wasn't licensed properly.