Horner's "The Name Of The Rose" OST available on digital (as of June 25)

NL197

(320k mp3, 320k m4a and FLAC)

https://ca.7digital.com/artist/james-horner/release/the-name-of-the-rose-original-soundtrack-16424988?f=16173353

https://us.7digital.com/artist/james-horner/release/the-name-of-the-rose-original-soundtrack-16424988

Also on iTunes (m4a)

https://music.apple.com/ca/album/the-name-of-the-rose-original-soundtrack/1571123353

from the label Königskinder, though it is not listed on their site. 

Seems to be the most recent Horner album available digitally since the remastered / expanded The Rocketeer. 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Does it mean we're likely to see an expansion?

Had the complete once, the album is the best you could get out of that.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Had the complete once, the album is the best you could get out of that.

I haven't got it so either one for me. 

Karol

Very cool to see this as a digital release. 

It’s fascinating to hear early “synth” Horner. I feel this type of scoring for a period piece produced today would garner a lot of attention and perhaps be seen as “groundbreaking” lol. And in the 80s it was just how you scored things when you didn’t have a lot of money haha.

It seems like there are quite a few Horner scores with an unusual amount of synths in place of recorded instruments. I know some of them do come with that story, that the music budget was low or time was short etc. But it still seems like Horner took that approach much more often than other A-list composers, doesn't it? I wonder if there was some other reason why he tended to do that.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait, is that true?

What other scores from Horner are synth heavy?

In some of the delux edition Avatar tracks it’s pretty synthy (“ Death of Quaritch” seems to have a synth string section and “Pandora” also seems to as well) It might just be how he recorded his strings for that score (?)

Thunderheart is another good synth heavy score. And Apocalypto.

I think for the most part Horner liked to use those synths as just another color/texture in his scores. They’re not supposed to sound like an acoustic instrument. I prefer that to large “symphonic” scores that are produced entirely with synths - attempting to sound like a real orchestra. That’s kinda grating.

8 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

In some of the delux edition Avatar tracks it’s pretty synthy (“ Death of Quaritch” seems to have a synth string section and “Pandora” also seems to as well) It might just be how he recorded his strings for that score (?)

IIRC the bonus tracks on that edition are synth demos since they didn't want to pony up the fees to include the orchestral recordings

30 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I think for the most part Horner liked to use those synths as just another color/texture in his scores.

I love when he does that!

31 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

They’re not supposed to sound like an acoustic instrument.

Well sometimes they are, like in Troy for sure.

I remember reading here that many cues in Titanic ended up being synth because they didn't had the money for the orchestra - which is very funny when you know that this was the most expensive movie ever at the time.

In any case,I wouldn't replace the iconic synth choir in cues like Southampton and Take Her to the Sea Mr. Murdoch.

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

In any case,I wouldn't replace the iconic synth choir in cues like Southampton and Take Her to the Sea Mr. Murdoch.

But if you wanted to, you could listen to this:

MI0001036713.jpg

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I remember reading here that many cues in Titanic ended up being synth because they didn't had the money for the orchestra - which is very funny when you know that this was the most expensive movie ever at the time.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

But if you wanted to, you could listen to this:

MI0001036713.jpg

Eww. Always hated that thing. The real choir in that for Titanic just had me reaching for the actual score as a palate cleanser. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Wait, is that true?

What other scores from Horner are synth heavy?

Not in any order, these are scores where they're either primarily / entirely electronic (*) or feature a balance of orchestral / acoustic and fully synthesized cues(+).

Not a complete list but you'll get the idea. 

Field of Dreams *

Searching for Bobby Fischer +

Bopha! *
Jack The Bear *

Project X +

Vibes *

Red Heat *

Where The River Runs Black *

The Forgotten *

The Life Before Her Eyes *

The Chumscrubber *

Class Action *

Extreme Close-Up *

Thunderheart *

Unlawful Entry *

Patriot Games +

Clear and Present Danger + (most of the expanded material on the Intrada)

Troy + (a lot expanded material on the Intrada)

The Pelican Brief +

Apollo 13 +

Braveheart + (good amount of expanded material on the LLL)

Jade *

Beyond Borders +

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas +

Titanic +

Southpaw *

Apocalypto +

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Favorite element of the score, especially my favorite cue Leaving Port (Revised). 

Wow, I hadn't realized he had done so many primarily/entirely electronic scores!  Most of those, I haven't actually heard yet, so that makes sense

I think that name of the rose was synth because they couldnt afford an orchestra? (isnt it an european film with a lot of famous american actors and horner himself.)

The full score is not the greatest listening experience, but those main titles are among the best mood setters I have ever heard. Absolutely spot on dramatic instincts by Horner. Those 3 minutes, on their own, completely define and evoke a sense of place and period. Really effective stuff

On 7/1/2021 at 5:54 PM, Edmilson said:

But it sounds so dated now. Almost like crappy midi voices.