Do you consider Solo: A Star Wars Story to be one of the great film scores?

Fabulin

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Solo: A Star Wars Story to be one of the great film scores?

8 hours ago, blondheim said:

Ouch. Oof, that hurts to read. Basil is one of my all-time favorite composers. I think he is under-rated in the extreme. I once got into a screaming match with someone over Poledouris. He deserves respect. People sometimes talk about Goldsmith being a cult composer, but Basil really takes the cake for obscure projects. He scored John Waters' films for chrissake

And sidebar: like when the fuck is someone going to release the complete Amerika?

(I have strong feelings about Basil. He was also adorable as hell and I would give anything, ANYTHING to hear the song he composed for his wife Bobbie. A-ny-thing. Anything.)

Don't take other people's taste personal.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Is it a classical golden age-esque score? Because I have to confess I stopped listening after hearing the first 20 seconds. 

Well, the love theme certainly sounds golden age and also some of the swashbuckling sort of action bits. I think it’s pretty clear John Williams was thinking of the golden age when he wrote The Adventures of Han, the suite that a lot of Powell’s score is based on.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody else thinks both Red October and Starship Troopers have better scores that Barbarian?

I definitely enjoy Starship Troopers more than Conan on balance and listen to it far more often. Conan is probably the more complex and sophisticated score though. I usually find Hunt for Red October a bit disappointing to be honest. It’s a bit too heavy on those jingly jangly synths that he used to use quite a bit which I’ve never much liked. The Hymn is fine enough although somehow a little disjointed.

20 hours ago, blondheim said:

(I have strong feelings about Basil. He was also adorable as hell and I would give anything, ANYTHING to hear the song he composed for his wife Bobbie. A-ny-thing. Anything.)

Anything?

He performed it for me shortly before his passing, and I have it committed to memory. Would you like to hear it?

Let the negotiations begin!

31 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Anything?

He performed it for me shortly before his passing, and I have it committed to memory. Would you like to hear it?

Let the negotiations begin!

Seriously...?!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody else thinks both Red October and Starship Troopers have better scores that Barbarian?

Starship Troopers is on par with ConanRed October's highlights may be, too, but there are about three of them, and the rest is serviceable underscore. It makes for an uneven album, but sadly the complete score is perhaps even more unbalanced.

43 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Red October's highlights may be, too, but there are about three of them, and the rest is serviceable underscore. It makes for an uneven album

So true ! I remember when I first listened to the OST (some 15 years ago ?), the succession of Hymn to Red October, Nuclear Scam and Ancestral Aid within the first 15 minutes made me think I had found the greatest film score ever ! Then the rest of the album happened... :sleepy:

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

Seriously...?!

Ignore Shark. Every word of what I said is true (except for the ones that aren't).

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Haven't seen it, it's always seemed like a bad film.

It isn't. Game of Thrones wishes. The Da Vinci style inventions get a little overzealous towards the end but it's got incredible atmosphere and characters. There aren't any heroes or villains in this movie, really. Just lots of terrible people. You've got a maniacal priest, mercenaries, prostitutes, spoiled rich kids, a plague, stillborn babies, a brain-damaged nun, rape and a serious lack of loyalty from just about everyone --literally con people left and right.

It seems incongruous to say this after all that but it's a damn good time.

57 minutes ago, blondheim said:

And what, no love for Flesh + Blood?

Great movie, great score. Owned it on a TV-to-VHS in the 90s and watched it many times. And no, not only for the nudity.

1 hour ago, eitam said:

So true ! I remember when I first listened to the OST (some 15 years ago ?), the succession of Hymn to Red October, Nuclear Scam and Ancestral Aid within the first 15 minutes made me think I had found the greatest film score ever ! Then the rest of the album happened... :sleepy:

The rest of the album at least still has Red Route I, the score's true highlight.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I love both of those scores as well. Like Conan, I consider Starship Troopers to be one of my all time favorite scores. I just don't rank it higher than Conan.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:54 PM, Bellosh said:

I haven't seen the movie or listened to the score.

But I will say the poll being a 50/50 split as I type this, really surprises me.

Maybe I'm missing out.

Well you can just check it out on youtube, Spotify, or whatever your streaming service of choice is, no harm in trying it out!  You'll probably like it.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:45 AM, AC1 said:

Is it a classical golden age-esque score? Because I have to confess I stopped listening after hearing the first 20 seconds. 

Parts of it are, like this cue for example:

But you'll hate the action music:

On 7/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, blondheim said:

I have been working on a Poledouris survey myself! I have been obsessed with Basil Poledouris for years.

Cool! If you do one as a podcast I’ll tune in!

On 7/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, blondheim said:

And I'd rather see the first Free Willy or Les Miserables get a new release. I also want the complete Conan the Destroyer, warts and all

No offense, but you must not know his two Free Willy scores all that well. I just relistened to my two complete film rips. The first Free Willy has a virtually perfect half hour score album extracted — literally ALL of the highlights are on it. What’s left is largely the more fragmentary cues and less orchestral cues. If the complete score gets released most people will say “meh” like they did with the expanded Hunt for Red October. Trust me. (Or don’t, and I’ll send you my film rip!) As a Poledouris obsessive I would buy an expansion OF COURSE, but I honestly think this is a case where less is more.

Now Free Willy 2 on the other hand is a completely different animal! The soundtrack album only had three cues (a bit over 10 minutes) of the score. And unlike the first score, this one is over an hour of consistently sweeping orchestral/acoustic thematic material. All the themes from the original film return, plus some new ones, and everything gets a ton more development this time around. The original Free Willy was a great score on album but if we’re talking all of the music in their respective films, Free Willy 2 leaves it in the dust.

I want an expansion of it even more than Les Miserables, which is my #1 favorite Poledouris of all time (sorry Conan and Troopers). Les Miserables at least plays great as an album already (yeah the suite thing is annoying but I almost always want to listen to the full album anyway). Free Willy 2 got a pathetic 10.5 minutes released. Of all the Poledouris scores that made it to album in some form (I.e. not totally unreleased) it is easily the most in need of expansion at this point.

Yavar

14 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Cool! If you do one as a podcast I’ll tune in!

No offense, but you must not know his two Free Willy scores all that well. I just relistened to my two complete film rips. The first Free Willy has a virtually perfect half hour score album extracted — literally ALL of the highlights are on it. What’s left is largely the more fragmentary cues and less orchestral cues. If the complete score gets released most people will say “meh” like they did with the expanded Hunt for Red October. Trust me. (Or don’t, and I’ll send you my film rip!) As a Poledouris obsessive I would buy an expansion OF COURSE, but I honestly think this is a case where less is more.

Now Free Willy 2 on the other hand is a completely different animal! The soundtrack album only had three cues (a bit over 10 minutes) of the score. And unlike the first score, this one is over an hour of consistently sweeping orchestral/acoustic thematic material. All the themes from the original film return, plus some new ones, and everything gets a ton more development this time around. The original Free Willy was a great score on album but if we’re talking all of the music in their respective films, Free Willy 2 leaves it in the dust.

I want an expansion of it even more than Les Miserables, which is my #1 favorite Poledouris of all time (sorry Conan and Troopers). Les Miserables at least plays great as an album already (yeah the suite thing is annoying but I almost always want to listen to the full album anyway). Free Willy 2 got a pathetic 10.5 minutes released. Of all the Poledouris scores that made it to album in some form (I.e. not totally unreleased) it is easily the most in need of expansion at this point.

Yavar

With Basil Poledouris, I want every note. I can decide later what I think of them but what one person may find forgettable, another may find essential. Basil was a treasure. Idc if this makes me a fanboy or his groupie but I want every note.

Les Miserables was the first Poledouris score I noticed so it is very special to me. I've been obsessed with that score and him ever since. There are other composers where I think "this is probably sufficient" but not with Basil, never with Basil.

And thanks! I have been working on some score dissections that I hope to be able to share soon!

12 minutes ago, blondheim said:

With Basil Poledouris, I want every note.

Yeah but why say you want an expanded Free Willy (snicker) more than an expansion of Free Willy 2 which has so much less released? PM me your email address and I'll change you mind. :) 

Yavar

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah but why say you want an expanded Free Willy (snicker) more than an expansion of Free Willy 2 which has so much less released? PM me your email address and I'll change you mind. :) 

Yavar

Honestly I haven't seen the second in so long. You're probably right about it being needed first. I'm not going to argue with anyone who wants more Poledouris. Only those who want less ;)

There needs to be a Not No but Lol No. Even John's solo theme is whatever is just above wretched. Not John's finest.