Michael Kamen's "THE IRON GIANT" in Full Score - Available to Pre-Order NOW!

17 hours ago, chrissiddall said:

I will be sharing a playlist on my YouTube channel which contains playback of the cues not present on the OST, which will remain active until an expanded OST is released.

Woah - like, clean versions?  Or ripped from the movie w/ sound effects and such?

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

I interpreted it as mockups of unreleased cues

This. However there is scope for an expanded release. If and when one materialises, I'll "defer to that" and take my version down. 

The original OST does cover most of the flowing material. What's left is either very short, or has breaks for dialogue/action in an almost recitative style. 

This is really cool. 

And yes, I would love an expanded release of this score. Unlike the majority of Michael Kamen soundtrack recordings, this has a beautiful recording and performance. Usually his scores are rather messy and rushed. This is the exact opposite. 

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
As I mentioned on various posts around the web and on my YouTube series "The Chain", I've put together a complete playlist for The Iron Giant which uses the OST and playback audio from my notation software for all the cues which are in the book but otherwise not available to listen to. Now you can read the score along with the music without having to contend with the dialogue and FX. Enjoy!

(with songs)

(score only)

• 7 months later...
38 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

This score sounds like Kamen through and through to me, and it's my personal favorite of his works.

Yavar

Well, he did farm out the work to his assistants.😁

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

According to Pete Townshend- who produced the film- Kamen agreed to lend his name but the score was ghosted.

Townshend couldn't afford his fee!

Where did you get this information from? Could it not be a tongue in cheek comment?

Would be a bit strange considering the recent deep dive by Brad Bird et al. into Kamen's work on the score. From this event it sounded like a typical score working with his orchestrators (Elhai & Neely).

This story was related in " Who I Am".

Townshend bought the rights to the story. Initially, he composed a theater piece that was released on CD as " The Iron Man".

He produced the film also.

You can read it for yourself..

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

This story was related in " Who I Am".

Townshend bought the rights to the story. Initially, he composed a theater piece that was released on CD as " The Iron Man".

He produced the film also.

You can read it for yourself..

Well, the quote in the book is:

I had flown to Los Angeles to go with Des to meet Brad Bird whom Warners had suggested direct Iron Giant. Brad was keen but he hated musicals, and hated what Disney was doing with Elton on The Lion King. I recommended Michael Kamen to do the conventional orchestral score, for which the budget set aside was far too small. Michael did it as a favour for me, using talented junior associates to do the work quickly and efficiently.

You've taken a fair bit of artistic licence with your version of the above!

On 06/07/2021 at 9:59 AM, chrissiddall said:

The original OST does cover most of the flowing material. What's left is either very short, or has breaks for dialogue/action in an almost recitative style. 

JWFAN wants , no demands, EVERY cue, no matter how short. No matter how irrelevant😒!

On 09/03/2022 at 1:29 PM, bruce marshall said:

According to Pete Townshend- who produced the film- Kamen agreed to lend his name but the score was ghosted.

Townshend couldn't afford his fee!

Oh good grief. Having help from a lot of orchestrators/copyists, and even farming out certain cues to assistants is not the same as the score being "ghosted". Kamen's Robin Hood with its crazy schedule probably had more "ghosted" cues than this, but nobody would say Michael Kamen didn't write the score.

Thanks for the actual quote from the book, @JWMike. That clears it right up.

Yavar

EDIT: And thanks to you, too, @chrissiddall!

9 minutes ago, chrissiddall said:

Well, now all the music used in the movie is on the OST.  Unfortunately the (full length) early versions of cues that were recorded in the first week of sessions are not included on this OST, but playback from my notation software gives a pretty decent feel for how they would have sounded, and are included on my YouTube playlist above.  They're obviously not as good as a live orchestra but better than nothing.

Regarding the Pete Townsend comment, yes he was working on a musical adaptation but it was a different entity and the music is unrelated to that in the movie.  There was no ghost writing.  I've spoken with the two orchestrators extensively, plus the director who sat with Michael whilst he composed many segments (you can see this in the video clips on YouTube).  Some of the cues were even fully orchestrated by Michael, in his handwriting.

image.png

I just quoted Pete.

Thanks for giving your side.

Autobigraphies are notoriously inaccurate##

Btw I don't see how Townshend' s quote can be interpreted any other way than how I described it.

Kaman lent his name and had others do the work.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't know why you're so needlessly confrontational about this stuff.  Everybody gets what they want and you can mind your own business instead of haranguing other people's preferences.

The CD isn't even out yet and folks are complaining it's not " complete".

Gimme a break!

Nobody is ever satisfied. Always bitching about something.

And here you are bitching about other people expressing mere disappointment over a prestigious company not going as far as they possibly can with materials we know for certain do exist (that has been confirmed to be at least quite a bit different).

Not even Thor is this relentless after each obligatory "OST is fine" post.

You and your comradez feel like you're "entitled" to own every cue for every score.

This attitude is peculiar to a certain demographic.

You collect cues like bottlecaps

You bitch about the artwork..

You can't enjoy a score of its " missing" something.

Look at the BATMAN discussion; the.initial comments focus more on what music is left off the soundtrack.

You take the joy out of being a score fan.

You're welcome to find a different film score discussion forum where people do not talk about those things.  At JWFan, we talk about those things.  Embrace what we are, or go away.  Thanks.

This is the one chance in decades they have to do it. Do it fucking right. You're the one always bitching about well done releases, taking the fun out of those. A longer release can always be cut down to preference but nobody can conjure up unreleased cues from thin air to fill holes in the program that'd make it work better for them.

The three Amigos; 

so predictable

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're welcome to find a different film score discussion forum where people do not talk about those things.  At JWFan, we talk about those things.  Embrace what we are, or go away.  Thanks.

So, we must all agree on everything?

Sounds boring.

You are free to counter my arguments.

I won't cry

9 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You and your comradez feel like you're "entitled" to own every cue for every score.

This attitude is peculiar to a certain demographic.

You collect cues like bottlecaps

You bitch about the artwork..

You can't enjoy a score of its " missing" something.

Look at the BATMAN discussion; the.initial comments focus more on what music is left off the soundtrack.

You pirate sessions and expect them to be released "officially.

You take the joy out of being a score fan.

15 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

And here you are bitching about other people expressing mere disappointment over a prestigious company not going as far as they possibly can with materials we know for certain do exist.

Not even Thor is this relentless after each obligatory "OST is fine" post.

Chriss said every cue in the film has been released.

But, that's not enuf?

What arguments? This is whingeing in the purest sense of the word. Is it really that ridiculous for someone to complain that a thing that advertises itself as a "deluxe edition" falls short of the label by not including more substantive material? It's designed to be a premium release, so forgive us if maybe we find it falls a bit short of those expectations.

Also, way to conveniently ignore Chris's other words about the unused material being quite different. Is that not worthy of our curiosity?