Rest In Peace Richard Donner.

Ollie

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/richard-donner-dies-superman-lethal-193107966.html

Needless to say he directed the greatest superhero film that featured the greatest superhero score.

Plus he did pretty good work in other genres.

14 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I will never understand thinking Donner's Superman is the best superhero film.

I personally don't care for it much at all, but De mortuis nihil nisi bonum and all of that...

EDIT: Some surprisingly touching words on Donner from one of my favourite directors:

Donner! My friend, my mentor. Oh, the things I learned from him! He undercut his own talent and greatness with a huge chunk of humility referring to himself as ‘merely a traffic cop.’ He left his ego at the door and required that of others. He was magnanimous of heart and soul, which he liberally gave to all who knew him. If we piled up all the good deeds he did, it would stretch to some uncharted place in the firmament. I will sorely miss him, with all his mischievous wit and wisdom.

So many pieces of entertainment that I adore. Thank you Richard Donner.

One of my favourite director. He brought us Superman with its incredible score, the Lethal Weapon saga, The Goonies, The Omen and LadyHawk among other things. I'll always remember him. RIP and thanks for all you've done.

Star Wars.

Superman: The Movie.

Two movies that blew my mind.

Two scores that started my film music journey.

Thanks Richard Donner for making Superman fly and for letting John Williams be a huge part of that.

He directed the only film that Jerry Goldsmith won his oscar. The Omen.

So many great tv episodes. The underrated film Conspiracy Theory. 

He Also directed the wackiest Christmas film of all time Scrooged.

Slightly crude story ahead… I mean, low key crude but you have been warned! Otherwise some rambling disconnected thoughts.

I’m going a bit left field and listening to Maverick in memory and while not perhaps his finest film, it sports a super score by Randy Newman (easily overlooked against the many other classics already listed). It also reminds me of the time I met RN (who is as funny, acerbic and humorously curmudgeonly as you’d hope) and he was complaining that Donner had asked Newman to make the music funnier and Newman asked whether it would be funnier if he shoved his baton up his arse to see if that would help. Not perhaps the harmonious director/composer pairing but, listening to it again, Maverick is a great score. Shame Newman hasn’t written any other westerns as he’s perfect for them.

Interesting that Donner never settled on a single composer but had a great knack for picking them. Much though I love Jerry, I don’t think the idiom and style of a Superman movie was really his forte. Although I’d pop to an alternate timeline (excuse the pun) to find out what he’d have done with it… but any director who can elicit one of his most memorable and only Oscar winning score with The Omen was doing something right even if I maintain that the score did quite a bit of the heavy lifting at times. Wonder why Jerry didn’t get the The Goonies gig; I have to admit that I never much cared for Grusin’s effort.

6 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Slightly crude story ahead… I mean, low key crude but you have been warned! 

I have to admit that I never much cared for Grusin’s effort.

Was that the crude part? 

6 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Was that the crude part? 

Oh yeah. I know. Who shocking huh?! 😜 (obviously it was the Randy Newman story. I didn’t want anyone to bitch that they were offended even though it’s pretty mild!)

Gave Lethal Weapon 3 a spin yesterday. Don’t recall it sounding as much like Kamen’s Guitar Concerto as much buy it stands to reason that it would be from the same sound world given who it was written for! Great stuff. I think I enjoy the later LW scores more than the first.