Can you suggest software, please?

mxsch

I need something in which I'll can open and play two tracks simultaneously, because this is the easiest way to check differences in alternatives and stuff.

11 hours ago, mxsch said:

I need something in which I'll can open and play two tracks simultaneously, because this is the easiest way to check differences in alternatives and stuff.

That's not the easiest way to check for alternates.

But yes, in general terms, a "WAV editor" or "Sound Editor" is what you're looking for, and Audacity is the most commonly used free one.

I recommend using a duplicate file checker first. AllDup can compare audio files like mp3 and flac, and ignore the tag information. So if you suspect they are the same exact audio information, just with different tag or cover info, this can weed out the low hanging fruit first. 

Then you just need a program to graphically load both files at the same time, and compare the waveforms visually. Audacity is free. Other programs like SoundForge or Magix are not, but they often are offered for cheap at HumbleBundle every few months. 

Actually playing both files at the same time and listening for the differences? Gag. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

That's not the easiest way to check for alternates.

But yes, in general terms, a "WAV editor" or "Sound Editor" is what you're looking for, and Audacity is the most commonly used free one.

3 hours ago, Positivatee said:

I recommend using a duplicate file checker first. AllDup can compare audio files like mp3 and flac, and ignore the tag information. So if you suspect they are the same exact audio information, just with different tag or cover info, this can weed out the low hanging fruit first. 

Then you just need a program to graphically load both files at the same time, and compare the waveforms visually. Audacity is free. Other programs like SoundForge or Magix are not, but they often are offered for cheap at HumbleBundle every few months. 

Actually playing both files at the same time and listening for the differences? Gag. 

Yep I like to do it by simply listening to them. It's not that hard if differences is not minor

You don't need a wav editor or sound editor to play two pieces of music at the same time

For example, if you have WinAmp you can just launch two instances of it and have each instance play a different track

But really you want a sound editor to visualize the music on the screen for you

For example if you open up "The Rescue Operation" and "The Rescue Operation (Alternate)" in a sound editor, you will quickly see the first 2 minutes are the same and the differences only start after that point.

With your method, you'd have to sit there listening to the music for 2 solid minutes before you learned that

I always used Audacity to check Charles Aznavour's alternates, where the instrumental tracks are usually the same, but not always the vocal ones...

You adjust the speed of the two cues to match (that's not always easy for analog material...), then you can turn stereo track 1 to mono, then stereo track 2 to mono, then you put track 1 on the left, track 2 on the right... if you notice a difference listening with a headphone, that's an alternate!