John Murphy’s The Suicide Squad (2021)

Edmilson

WaterTower Music & Troll Court have released the first track from the soundtrack for James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad. Available to stream/download now on all major digital music platforms is So This Is the Famous Suicide Squad composed the film’s composer John Murphy (28 Days Later..., Sunshine, Kick-Ass, Snatch, Millions). Also listen to the full track below. Check back on this page for the full album details. The Suicide Squad is written and directed by Gunn and stars Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, Joel Kinnaman, Jai Courtney, David Dastmalchian, Peter Capaldi, Daniela Melchior, Alice Braga, Michael Rooker,Pete Davidson, Joaquín Cosio, Juan Diego Botto, Steve Agee, Nathan Fillion, Sean Gunn, Mayling Ng, Jennifer Holland, Flula Borg, Tinashe Kajese, Sylvester Stallone and Viola Davis. The movie will be released in theaters nationwide on August 6 by Warner Bros. Pictures and will also premiere on HBO Max on the same day.

Never discount Murphy especially since he is the man behind the most influential piece of score music this millenia (and that includes Hans' Batman wankboxes):

And before any dickhead tries to talk about how similar this is to this and that - well, fuck you - this is where it started.

I'd argue it has a little bit of Journey to the Line DNA, though definitely better at making its own identity out of it than many other examples (including Zimmer's own attempts).

Pretty funny how the first Days of Future Past used both tracks, as if the studio is just fully admitting they didn't have any real ideas there.

As for the actual score track itself, it's pretty fun, even if it's not very substantive outside of the energetic rock style. I'm sure it'll be better than Steven Price's effort at least.

12 hours ago, thestat said:

And before any dickhead tries to talk about how similar this is to this and that - well, fuck you - this is where it started.

You say that...but I always thought this was just a really trailer-ized rip from FOTR...

That, and Zimmer was doing this kind of thing 10 years before this anyway...

2 hours ago, Romão said:

Remember the time when these big budget, action movies, no matter how dismal, had a good chance of having pretty good scores?

Huh, they weren't kidding when they said people's opinions of the past become more romanticized when they get disenfranchised with newer stuff. Absolutely convinced something like US Marshals got high praise back in the day.

It's just one track that at least tells the listener that it's going to feel a bit different from the standard fare recently. I'd get the complaint if it sounded more RCP-ish or trailer like (or even just being for a major sequence), but now I'm wondering if people expect too much at this point.

I'd ask if you even heard the track, but I'm probably being a bit too mean as is.