Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director’s Cut 4K Restoration (supervised by Mike Matessino)

crumbs

8 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

We’ve already been discussing this in the UHD thread. We’ve also agreed that ST: TMP is the greatest of all the Star Trek scores.

This is what happens when you miss staff meetings.

It deserved its own thread, dammit!

The greatest of all Trek scores, IMHO, and my personal favorite.

One of the greatest Jerry Goldsmith scores, Trek or not.

As for the 4K Director's Edition, this is an absolute Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned.

They have the right people behind it, and I hope we can FINALLY get the film as Robert Wise intended in an apropriate resolution.

The ideal would be to have both Theatrical and Directors Edition versions of the film on the disk, with the special features telling us about the DE restoration, and the DE special features from the DVD included on the Blu-ray disk.

The Wrath Of Khan Directors Edition Blu-ray shows how to do things well.

25 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

The ideal would be to have both Theatrical and Directors Edition versions of the film on the disk, with the special features telling us about the DE restoration, and the DE special features from the DVD included on the Blu-ray disk.

The Wrath Of Khan Directors Edition Blu-ray shows how to do things well.

I’m hoping for all 3 versions to be presented one day. The extended cut that had 12 or so extra minutes, maybe they can finish the SFX / fix the stage showing for the scene of Kirk in his spacesuit going after Spock. 

I’m one of the few who still prefers the original theatrical cut. 

Is the director's cut any better than the theatrical version? At that time I loved everything related to Science Fiction. But the Star Trek movie managed to bore me to keep, almost. But it's been 40 years since I saw the movie. 

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I regard it as the definitive version of the movie, though I love both versions.

Same. Many of the film's problems are mitigated in the Director's Cut. The added scenes really help and I don't miss any of the trimmed stuff.

Yavar

I never got the film on Blu, hoping they might yet do a HD restoration of the DC. Who knows, if this sells (and/or streams) well, perhaps there's still a tiny chance for HD versions of DS9 and VOY down the road.

46 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Damn, that's right. "Viewer off" is one of the best lines in the movie, along with the aforementioned "oh my God" and "will you PLEASE sit down!?" along with "there's a THING out there" and the all-time classic, "Dammit Bones, I NEED you!"

The opening credits of the DE using the album version of 'Main Title' -where two strikes of the timpani begins the cue instead of two strikes on the snare drum from the theatrical cut--was a foreshadow of those worst things mentioned.

Read discussion of the Main Title alternate takes

Just now, SyncMan said:

The opening credits of the DC using the album version of 'Main Title'

:eh:

Crap, well that's enough to put me off!

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

:eh:

Crap, well that's enough to put me off!

I agree this change wasn't for the better, but there are enough huge improvements (including previously omitted stuff being edited back in, which flesh out character relationships and development sorely missing from the theatrical cut) that you really should check out the Director's still. I'm glad to have both cuts, even if personally I might pick and choose things from both. Overall I far prefer the new cut over the rushed theatrical cut.

Yavar

In summary:

If you have never really liked Star Trek: The Motion Picture but have never seen the Director's Edition, give it a shot and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the improvements.

If you have always liked the theatrical cut, well, there may be some things you miss in the new cut as they were really trying to tighten things up but may have left out some fun bits.

For someone who has never seen any version of the film, I know that the Director's is the version I would show to them first.

Yavar

Wonder if Paramount may be mulling over finally allowing Shatner to attempt to fix his ST V - even if it's only trims and new F/X shots.

May explain why they are electing to release only I-IV initially, with TMP: DE following later. As flawed as TMP: TE is, it's got a lot more going for it than V.

I'm wondering what will be changed in the newest version of the Director's Edition. Without Wise what will they feel they have latitude to change?

But then I thought: If they change ANYTHING will there be fans demanding the original 2001 Robert Wise Edition?

Me: I just want all of it (Theatrical / Television / DE / Deleted Scenes) in the best possible format so that I can edit together MY edition!

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'm wondering what will be changed in the newest version of the Director's Edition

Who said anything changed?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Who said anything changed?

At the most basic level they're going to be using new models. So that's change although the intention is that it will not be noticeable.

But I know Daren has said that he wants to redo the briefing lounge scene. At the least fixing the star field so that it matches the nacelle or a more ambitious approach of putting them on a virtual set of the officer's lounge. Or will they rerender the nacelle to be 4k and leave everything else as is? 

There were other changes to the music (the overture, the main titles) that were not intentional but were done because there was a time crunch and the original elements weren't available. This is my recollection, someone can and will correct me if I'm wrong. Obviously Mike had everything at his disposal when he did the CD set. 

EDIT: I want to be clear that I'm just musing about what might be. If they manage to produce a 4K replica of the 2001 film with everything I like and everything I hate from the edition that was supervised by Wise (and Goldsmith!) then I'm still good with it. Just be sure to give me the theatrical cut in comparable quality. I want at least the equivalent of the Wrath of Khan blu ray (both versions). At best I want the Star Trek equivalent of the Blade Runner box (EVERYTHING!).

To Paraphrase Mr. Sulu any chance I can see the Enterprise....

On 7/10/2021 at 12:49 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Wonder if Paramount may be mulling over finally allowing Shatner to attempt to fix his ST V - even if it's only trims and new F/X shots.

If amateur effects artists on YouTube can do wonders to V’s piss poor visuals, imagine what a half competent SFX company could do on a budget to fix it up.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

You know engineers, they love to change things.

Premiere night half of my audience were engineering students. That was the biggest laugh.

• 4 months later...

It's a good movie if you love the characters and respect the ambition and scope of the movie. 

It's not a good movie if you're expecting a fast-paced action shoot-em-up. 

It's not a good movie if you're expecting anything more than a remake of an unremarkable episode from the original TV show. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. I might have a real problem with messing with the Spock Walk. I mean, it's arguably the most perfect scene in the movie. It's the centerpiece of the whole film.

Fingers crossed. I thought... 75%? 80%? of the original DE was well done and necessary. My BIGGEST complaint (possibly already mentioned here) was using the Enterprise B bridge sound FX from Generations rather than, say, Wrath of Khan which were much more contemporary to TMP.

Almost anything that was a "this didn't get done in the original" decision was valid and felt like finishing the movie.

I still can't figure out why they re-did San Francisco.

50 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I still can't figure out why they re-did San Francisco.

In the theatrical cut of that sequence, there was a splice in the end of the music-cue, “Total Logic”, so that it would fit the length of that sequence.  I am thinking that the reason that new footage of the San Francisco sequence was created was because the filmmakers wanted to keep that music-cue unedited.

44 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

In the theatrical cut of that sequence, there was a splice in the end of the music-cue, “Total Logic”, so that it would fit the length of that sequence.  I am thinking that the reason that new footage of the San Francisco sequence was created was because the filmmakers wanted to keep that music-cue unedited.

Do you think? The reason that sounds odd to me is because there are other sequences where they edited the score to cut down a scene.

It's not just that they did an alternate shot it's that they departed completely from what had been in the film before as well as any of the production designs that had been done for the film back in 1978/9. It had a much more TNG look to it.

Incidentally I made an edit of that track that follows the original edit for the film. I mean it's not like it doesn't make musical sense. In the film it's a statement, on the OST it's just a repeat of the main title.

On 29/11/2021 at 4:02 PM, Grace Under Pressure said:

Well, Goldsmith intended the Cloud sequence to able to be edited down.

Sure. And I can't imagine he was too put out by the edit at Starfleet for the same reason. The new FX are one of the few "this doesn't feel like 1979" moments in the DE.

I'm not a STAR TREK guy at all, so I'm kinda surprised by my own participation in this thread, but I'd love to see TMP in 70mm on the big screen (I don't know if a 70mm print exists). I remember marveling at the visuals when I saw it as a teen (on VHS). I suppose a 4K version on a home cinema system would be a decent alternative. Everyone hates the slowness about this film, but that's one of the reasons for why I think it's the best film in the saga -- time to absorb and marvel rather than moving the story forward all the time (screw story!).

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm not a STAR TREK guy at all, so I'm kinda surprised by my own participation in this thread, but I'd love to see TMP in 70mm on the big screen (I don't know if a 70mm print exists). I remember marveling at the visuals when I saw it as a teen (on VHS). I suppose a 4K version on a home cinema system would be a decent alternative. Everyone hates the slowness about this film, but that's one of the reasons for why I think it's the best film in the saga -- time to absorb and marvel rather than moving the story forward all the time (screw story!).

IMHO TMP and The Wrath of Khan represent the best of two kinds of Star Trek. I'm amazed and dismayed when I pull up this movie on Plex and it shows the Rotten Tomatoes score as 43%!

I don't believe that TMP was filmed in 70mm although there were some prints made? Is that the 1980's equivalent of up-rezzing? Someone smarter than me please use the right words.

I saw it on the big screen two years ago at a Fathom event and it looked gorgeous. The new 4K set is sitting under my tree, taunting me.

I would be shocked (SHOCKED) if this new 4K DE does not get some kind of theatrical presentation through Fathom or some other outlet.

I believe Star Trek TMP is 35mm Anamorphic, and they did not have time to do a 70mm blowup that may have been planned. Could be wrong on that, but that's my understanding.

The 4K DE might not get any kind of theatrical presentation for it's release, given that there will be a period where it is exclusive to the Paramount+ streaming platform.

I'm hoping to see a 4K / Blu-Ray release that also includes the Theatrical Cut and the special features from both the DE DVD and the current Blu-ray / 4K releases, as well as maybe something covering the restoration for Paramount+.

The 4K DE might not get any kind of theatrical presentation for it's release, given that there will be a period where it is exclusive to the Paramount+ streaming platform.

Boo! (And you're probably right.)

I'm hoping to see a 4K / Blu-Ray release that also includes the Theatrical Cut and the special features from both the DE DVD and the current Blu-ray / 4K releases, as well as maybe something covering the restoration for Paramount+.

That was always my dream. But with the Theatrical Cut having it's own release I don't see it happening that way. Unless they sell them together as a box. But what do I know?

I gather the deleted scenes on the 4K set are in SD. Sad.

On 03/12/2021 at 8:22 PM, OneBuckFilms said:

I believe Star Trek TMP is 35mm Anamorphic, and they did not have time to do a 70mm blowup that may have been planned. Could be wrong on that, but that's my understanding.

That's correct. In the 1999 expanded score booklet, it explains to there was no time to strike 70mm prints, before release date.