Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director’s Cut 4K Restoration (supervised by Mike Matessino)

crumbs

I've met a few people who changed their minds about the film in 2001. But no, nobody has flipped this movie from the bottom of their list to the top. (I gather Nimoy at least softened about the film because of this cut.)

Does anyone know why they replaced the original matte of the Golden Gate bridge with new stuff? Back in '01 I heard exhaustive explanations for pretty much every new shot and edit: it helped the story, it was connective tissue, the old shot was rushed and didn't work (Vulcan), the edit was tighter. I never heard ANY reason that the old and frankly fantastic matte was replaced.

I'll save my final judgement for the actual release, but the later shots still don't look great. But the shot of the Enterprise coming out of the wormhole with the explosion still looks fantastic and looks like it was a lost shot from 1979 (which IMHO is the mission). But the shots inside Vejur and the big exterior shots of Vejur just didn't have the same 1979 verisimilitude that the earlier shots have. I still hope I'm wrong of course.

And now Paramount had gone and swung the ban hammer down on both the youtube mirror and the twitter mirror that were posted here.

Gotta love the ineptitude.  You get em Paramount, go after those people advertising your product for free!

I suspect it's timing. They likely want some specifically timed publicity to accompany the video. It is clear the Trailer was not meant to be "public", so there may be other elements tothe official annoucnement, and this foulup basically messed with their marketing plan.

Yep. Same, here. The film was, is, and always shall be, my favourite Star Trek film. The score speaks for itself. It is not only the best Star Trek score, by a country mile, it is a very strong candidate for the accolade "Greatest Single Score Ever Written".

25 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yep. Same, here. The film was, is, and always shall be, my favourite Star Trek film. The score speaks for itself. It is not only the best Star Trek score, by a country mile, it is a very strong candidate for the accolade "Greatest Single Score Ever Written".

I couldn’t agree more. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

How nice that on Star Wars Day, ST TMP will be back in theaters :)

I realized that right after I posted it. I think that shows how excited I am about finally seeing this in the cinema that I heard the date May 25th and my brain didn't immediately spit back "Star Wars".

My kids are learning that May 4th is NOT Star Wars day and the Obi-Wan series is helping to reinforce this. Now I'm going to take them to see a Star Trek movie...

May the 4th is Star Wars Day too, May 25th is just when SW premiered in 1977 and also when Obi-Wan is premiering this year

The trailer is up on Paramount+'s youtube channel, so i assume is region-blocked to the USA?

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

May the 4th is Star Wars Day too, May 25th is just when SW premiered in 1977 and also when Obi-Wan is premiering this year

And Return of the Jedi.

I'm touchy about that for some reason. I just know that I never saw a Star Wars movie anywhere near May 4th and I saw George Lucas (and Kershner and Marquand) on May 23rd.

Star Wars day is May 25th. May the 4th is a pun. :D

But this year I'll be seeing Star Trek!

I feel happy for the team, truly, that they got to undertake this obvious labor of love. I just don’t see the appeal of adding CGI to an old movie, however. In general I just never like it. But especially here, it’s odd. Who ever watched this movie and said, “You know what this movie needs? MORE SPECTACLE!” Or, “If only this vintage film had special effects that looked the same as every 2022 flick?”

Well, I hope the actual restoration work they have done here (eg., music/sound) can benefit a future release of the SLV.

I haven't been to a movie theater since Rise of Skywalker in 2019.  I may have to brave this one and boldly go (zing!). I would almost guarantee I'd have the theater to myself if prior Fathom screenings are any indication.

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

I feel happy for the team, truly, that they got to undertake this obvious labor of love. I just don’t see the appeal of adding CGI to an old movie, however. In general I just never like it. But especially here, it’s odd. Who ever watched this movie and said, “You know what this movie needs? MORE SPECTACLE!” Or, “If only this vintage film had special effects that looked the same as every 2022 flick?”

Well, I hope the actual restoration work they have done here (eg., music/sound) can benefit a future release of the SLV.

Have you seen the SD version? 

I'm sure if they could have they would have done all of the FX with 1978 tech. CG is just a means. With very few exceptions the mission statement was always "make it look like all of the other fx". (There's even a scene where they animated on twos - 12 frames per second - like would have been done in the original.) 

It's not a Lucas "Ohhh look what I can do now!" but more "Do it like we didn't run out of time!" 

Even if you knew all of this, maybe someone else doesn't. 

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

I feel happy for the team, truly, that they got to undertake this obvious labor of love.

Oh, and ^^^ this! 

37 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Have you seen the SD version? 

I'm sure if they could have they would have done all of the FX with 1978 tech. CG is just a means. With very few exceptions the mission statement was always "make it look like all of the other fx". (There's even a scene where they animated on twos - 12 frames per second - like would have been done in the original.) 

I thought they did a great job with just upgrading the existing effects where necessary and adding a few subtle extras. I do kinda feel that showing all of V'Ger wasn't really necessary, the glimpses of the various sections as the Enterprise flies over are more exciting than the whole thing, but I can understand the impetus to do so. I have to admit that those shots of the tiny outline of the Enterprise against V'Ger always gave a sense of scale that Star Trek ship effects rarely (if ever) get. As a kid I was enthralled by those shots in a way that the more standard ship effects from the later movies didn't quite enter my imagination (effective though most undoubtedly are... Star Trek V... not you, although even that has a couple of neat moments). However, I think the subtle enhancements to, in particular, the shots where the crew walk to the core of V'Ger are vastly improved with the hexagonal tiles materialising and the backdrop of the Enterprise now correctly proportioned. Matt painting artists pre-CGI really were wizards but that's one of the few where they really didn't quite get the perspective right although I acknowledge that the curves of the saucer section must be a nightmare to get it right from the angle they went for.

Still, can't wait!

5 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

Well, good news all around: A theatrical presentation, streaming premiere and 4K announcement all this year.

Fantastic. I look forward to it reaching the outer islands of North West Scotland, in the very near future (!) :lol:.

April 5th for Paramount+ premiere, May 22nd and 25th (I think) for Fathom Events theatrical presentation, and unknown date in September for UHD Blu-ray physical release (I assume a 4k/Blu-ray 2 disc set with new and existing features).

I have the current Blu-ray of the Theatrical release, however I would hope we would get both the Theatrical and Director's Edition on disc. It may be just the DE however, and I can live with that given that the Theatrical edition is out in 4K and Blu-ray already.

Yeah, my expectation at this point would be that they would stay separate actually. Though it would be nice to have The Ultimate Edition with both (hell, all). 

44 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Why couldn’t they?

There was a rushed post-production in 1978/79, and they didn't have time to do a propor sound mix, do all of the VFX they wanted, or have preview screenings that would have told them that the VFX were overwhelming the characters at the time. Money may also have been a factor, as the film was already frontloaded with money from the aborted Phase II, that provided the basis for designs, sets etc., including the Pilot script that turned into the theatrical screenplay.

TMP theatrical release was essentially a late-stage workprint of the movie, and the only film Robert Wise was unhappy with at release.

3 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

April 5th for Paramount+ premiere, May 22nd and 25th (I think) for Fathom Events theatrical presentation, and unknown date in September for UHD Blu-ray physical release (I assume a 4k/Blu-ray 2 disc set with new and existing features).

I have the current Blu-ray of the Theatrical release, however I would hope we would get both the Theatrical and Director's Edition on disc. It may be just the DE however, and I can live with that given that the Theatrical edition is out in 4K and Blu-ray already.

I don’t get why the BLADE RUNNER Blu-ray Set can’t be the gold standard with classic movies that have multiple versions. Include all of them and let the viewer decide which version they want to watch. Period.

On 08/07/2021 at 10:16 AM, GerateWohl said:

Is the director's cut any better than the theatrical version? At that time I loved everything related to Science Fiction. But the Star Trek movie managed to bore me to keep, almost. But it's been 40 years since I saw the movie. 

Me too.

It would have to be a BIG improvement to watch this turkey again.

CE3K had many of the same problems I.e. rushed schedule prevented a fine tuned edit.

The SE was a.big improvement in that scenes were cut that never belonged in.the first place

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

CE3K had many of the same problems I.e. rushed schedule prevented a fine tuned edit.

The SE was a.big improvement in that scenes were cut that never belonged in.the first place

Having seen all three versions of CE3K, many times, I can say, honestly, that I really do not mind which version I see. I don't even mind "inside the mothership".

I would dearly love to see the deleted scenes, at Dax Airforce Base, and I think that the "bathroom/watch" scene should have been in the original. Other than that, all three versions are fine, by me.

• 2 weeks later...

I scanned through it on my phone briefly last night at 3AM when my internal Trek alarm woke me up out of my sleep.  I can confirm that they went back to the old Film Version of the Main Title.  Yay!  

I am out of my mind excited to watch tonight!   Actually, I am most looking forward to hearing the sound enhancements and ADR handled by Mike Matessino, as well as the score mix.

It's the little things like this that keep me going.

15 minutes ago, Andy said:

I am out of my mind excited to watch tonight!   Actually, I am most looking forward to hearing the sound enhancements and ADR...

May the wind be at your back.

Keep us all posted regarding the sound changes, will you?

Haven't watched much of it but listened to some of the audio channels and the music is incredibly discrete. There is no comparison to the theatrical's sound mix which doesn't come remotely close. You're hearing every strike of the snare, bells, you name it. 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

May the wind be at your back.

Keep us all posted regarding the sound changes, will you?

You have an incoming transmission from Epsilon...I can't even make a lame Star Trek reference. Check your messages!