Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director’s Cut 4K Restoration (supervised by Mike Matessino)

crumbs

Then why didn't... you know... they just use his demo?

I decided to watch the TOS episode The Changeling last night after similarities in plot had been pointed out over at the FSM discussion.

"It's like poetry, it rhymes" - Gene Roddenberry ;)

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Then why didn't... you know... they just use his demo?

I decided to watch the TOS episode The Changeling last night after similarities in plot had been pointed out over at the FSM discussion.

"It's like poetry, it rhymes" - Gene Roddenberry ;)

There are lots of TOS episodes that are similar in story to TMP.  The Immunity Syndrome has them entering a dark cloud of unknown origin that killed another starfleet ship and the episode is basically them trying to figure out the unknown object which is discovered to be an intelligent entity in a form they've never encountered.  It also has loads of "awed" reaction shots.  I think "The Corbomite Maneuver" is another plot line blueprint.  

Sorry Karelm it was absolutely not intelligent. It was single cell organism 10000+ miles long. 

The Corbomite Maneuver is an episode of first contact.

11 hours ago, Tallguy said:

What's baffling is that Dochterman has been practicing for this shot for 20 years! And he's posted far better versions on his own!

Were the practice / tests video or stills ? Photoshop or some other form of compositing it for a still is obviously apples to the oranges of moving people in a video sequence is the only reason I ask. 

8 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Can't uptick that one enough ;-)

Makes what we got in "What We Left Behind" the most beautiful of teases. 

Re: The Changeling -

There are some very specific parallels (There is an overwhelming attack on the Enterprise and it's cut off because the realize they don't understand Nomad / Vejur's transmission because it's too fast) and it turns out to be an Earth launched probe. But good zod the similarities are very superficial.

The comparison I never hear leveled is Robert Wise's film Run Silent, Run Deep where an older Clarke Gable comes in at the last second and relieves a younger Burt Lancaster of command. Star Trek goes in a different direction but the initial confrontations between Gable / Kirk and Lancaster / Decker are very similar.

(Something that isn't / couldn't be fixed by the Director's Edition is that the Decker / Kirk plot is never resolved. It's just replaced by Spock's story. Spock's story resolves. Kirk's doesn't.)

I for one really liked this new version of the film. I really loved how they updated the background of the officers lounge when Spock, Kirk and McCoy are talking shortly after the warp drive is fixed.  I am glad it was the proper back drop now. 

It was also interesting hearing some of the alternate dialogue that I never heard before. For example in dry dock where in the theatrical cut the computer said "Engineering to all decks, auxiliary power test in three minutes". It was replaced by Chekov giving orders to see the status of the photon torpedos. 

I also noticed the mix of the music as well. Things were A LOT crisper and clearer even more so than from the theatrical edit. Of course the biggest change that was noticeable was the longer version of "Ilia's Theme" that was used at the beginning of the film before the start of the Main Titles.

I agree with you, @Andy: there is a resolution for Decker. Kirk gets the Enterprise back (something he always wanted), and Decker not only gets to become a higher being (whatever that means), he gets some nice Baldie clunge whenever he feels like it. It's a win win :)

• 2 weeks later...

Strange turn of events. When Wrath of Khan was shown a few years ago my daughter went with me and my son declined. This time around I've switched kids. They've both seen TMP but neither of them really remember it.

I do wish that they'd show the "special features" at Fathom AFTER the film. They kind of assume that everyone there has seen the movie already. To me a big part of the point is getting to see classics on the big screen for the first time!

My daughter didn't KNOW that Spock died in Wrath of Khan! Until Shatner TOLD her in the interview that they ran before the movie! (My apologies to the 10 year olds reading this board.)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ps, can anyone lend me $2000?

If I could I would.

Star Trek TMP story was written before the film by Alan Dean Foster.  He hated the film version of his story.  I have several conversations with him on this topic but forget exactly why he hated it or how his story differed from what was filmed.  Does anyone else know?  I love the film and the deeply mysterious story which I think is probably Star Trek at its most cerebral.  This was a very major characteristic of the show at the time.  Current incarnations are really nothing like what Star Trek was originally revered for.  It's very hard to explain what Star Trek meant before Star Wars 1977.  To me, that is the soul of Star Trek and I think that's not at all recognizable to modern audiences.  I like TNG but even this morning saw an episode on TV that I thought this isn't Star Trek. It was TNG season 7 episode Genesis.  To me, TMP has so much of what made Star Trek great.  Though the story might not live up to what the original team had hoped for, it's vintage Star Trek. 

12 hours ago, Tallguy said:

My daughter didn't KNOW that Spock died in Wrath of Khan! Until Shatner TOLD her in the interview that they ran before the movie! (My apologies to the 10 year olds reading this board.)

Wait, so the first three Star Trek movies is like the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies?

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@karelm, didn't Alan Dean Foster ghostwrite the novel? Maybe his "vision" made it into that?

I don't think it's a ghostwrite, he's credited in the movie, wasn't he?  I thought it said Story by ADF (but going off memory).

FYI - here is an email exchange I found with him where he mentions it: 

"When ST:TMP became a big-budget film, I was shut out of further participation.  It still rankles me, but…that’s Hollywood.  The first five minutes of the film are exactly as I wrote them, however as for the rest...  I only ever met one movie bigwig who understood anything about classical music, and that was George Lucas.  When we were discussing my work on the Star Wars books, I once asked him if he had given much thought to the music for the film.  “I’m going to use an overture by Dvorak, and some other stuff,” he told me.  He was inspired by the use of classical music in 2001.  I was full of suggestions, but later, of course, John Williams talked him into commissioning an original score, and the result we know.  Arthur C. Clarke once told me he used to put the music on when he needed a bit of inspiration.

The film business was why we moved to Prescott, and why I decided to focus on writing books and stories.  In Hollywood, everybody thinks they know everything about everything…especially writing.  And music.  When King Kong (1933) came out, the pianist and wit Oscar Levant declared that the film was actually a music concert accompanied by some moving pictures.  You don’t get that today.  I do admire certain contemporary scores.  I think Michael Giacchino’s work on Ratatouille was just brilliant…we had a nice chat about it.  Him evoking Gershwin’s “American in Paris” and such.  And Tuomas Holopainen’s work for Nightwish is wonderful (also, you get to listen to and look at Floor Jansen).

Take care and be well."

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@karelm, didn't Alan Dean Foster ghostwrite the novel? Maybe his "vision" made it into that?

He absolutely did not. (You might be thinking of Star Wars.) The novel of TMP is one of the most Roddenberry things ever. It's also actually very good.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Wait, so the first three Star Trek movies is like the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies?

Um... My biggest objections to that comparison is that 1) Spock is meant to be a leading character and Jack Sparrow is not and 2) I LOVE At World's End more than I love The Search for Spock. (And I love The Search for Spock.)

4 minutes ago, karelm said:

I don't think it's a ghostwrite, he's credited in the movie, wasn't he?  I thought it said Story by ADF (but going off memory).

He has a Story By credit. I spoke to him (yikes!) 30 years ago before I knew the history of TMP as well as I do now. It's convoluted to say the least. The only thing I remember (other than me being a painfully spazzy fanboy) was that he sadly shook his head and said something like "The only thing in that movie that's mine is the first ten minutes."

Here is a little more of the history:

Roddenberry wrote a story for his TV series Genesis II called Robot's Return. He asked Alan Dean Foster to adapt it into the pilot for the second Star Trek TV series that was being developed. Harold Livingston turned that story treatment into a script. Then the new TV show was scrapped in favor of making a movie with Livingston continuing as screenwriter. Apparently at some point Foster took the film to arbitration and that's how he ended up with Story By.

On 21/04/2022 at 6:31 AM, Tallguy said:

He absolutely did not. (You might be thinking of Star Wars.) The novel of TMP is one of the most Roddenberry things ever. It's also actually very good.

Um... My biggest objections to that comparison is that 1) Spock is meant to be a leading character and Jack Sparrow is not and 2) I LOVE At World's End more than I love The Search for Spock. (And I love The Search for Spock.)

He has a Story By credit. I spoke to him (yikes!) 30 years ago before I knew the history of TMP as well as I do now. It's convoluted to say the least. The only thing I remember (other than me being a painfully spazzy fanboy) was that he sadly shook his head and said something like "The only thing in that movie that's mine is the first ten minutes."

Here is a little more of the history:

Roddenberry wrote a story for his TV series Genesis II called Robot's Return. He asked Alan Dean Foster to adapt it into the pilot for the second Star Trek TV series that was being developed. Harold Livingston turned that story treatment into a script. Then the new TV show was scrapped in favor of making a movie with Livingston continuing as screenwriter. Apparently at some point Foster took the film to arbitration and that's how he ended up with Story By.

Barely the story of ST: TMP.  Glad ADF stood up to Roddenberry.  Roddenberry was known to take credit for the writer's work...DC Fontana said.  Roddenberry did the same with the music.  He claimed cue sheet credit as writer of lyrics for the Star Trek theme which was never played but gave him ASCAP cue sheet credit to half the royalties that should have gone to Courage.  Courage was quite bitter about that overt theft.  

On 21/04/2022 at 3:31 PM, Tallguy said:

JS is a leading character for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

"

Exciting news in California! Mike Matessino (Post-Supervisor) and Daren Dochterman (Visual Effects Supervisor), and I will be at the 7pm, May 22 screening of Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition at the Regal LA Live for a special Meet & Greet and post-event Q&A. Then we’ll be at the 7pm showing on May 25 at the Century City location for a post-event Q&A. Grab your friends (especially those who have never seen the film) and come join us!

LA Live: https://regmovi.es/3wzn264

AMC Century City: https://bit.ly/3wuzrbu

BONUS INFO: Posting this here... 10 copies of La-La Land's new CD release of Jerry Goldsmith's remarkable soundtrack will be awarded during the Q&A per screening!

"

https://www.facebook.com/david.c.fein/posts/10223594359438820

I hope that someone during these Q&As asks Mike M. if a LTP concert is being considered.

Someone in the FSM forum asked him about it back in February and he didn't comment on it.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146921&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=331#bottom

Maybe he can provide an update.

On 18/05/2022 at 6:01 PM, crocodile said:

What we need is a life to projection tour of this. :)

Karol

With live blaster beam

10 hours ago, HunterTech said:

QfXtbPO.jpeg

Went to the 3:00 screening today (so unfortunately wasn't there for the post Q&A screening (hope people showed up for it!)), and I had a great time. I can certainly understand why people have issues with the film, and I'll certainly concede that it really requires a specific mood to appreciate it for what it is. But it's such a visual and audio wonder that I can't really complain much (even if it probably could've used some further drafts to flesh out things). That being said: it benefits so much from being seen on the big screen that I have a hard time telling if it would work as well if I watched it at home. Certainly got me interested in seeing much more from the franchise, and I'll most definitely see the Wrath of Khan screening once that arrives.

I saw a TWOK screening in a theater a while back. It was a real joy, especially with an appreciative audience along for the ride.

Anyway, we're going tonight. I've never seen this one on the big screen, so I'm looking forward to it, even though it'll probably only be, like, the second time I've watched the whole film in one sitting.

I've stopped going to Fathom Events because of the presentation always being disappointing technically, at least in my theater.   Your experience of hearing the bass of the blockbuster one theater over is so common.  I am blessed to have a dedicated projector for screening my movies at home, and that always weighs heavily in my decision to just watch at home rather than trust the Fathom presentation.

Glad to hear your son enjoyed it though.  That's terrific!  Definitely worth it, just for that.

I'm sorry to read some of you had bad sound in your theaters!  I've actually seen plenty of talk online from people going to various Fathom events and having vastly different visual and audio experiences from each other, so I suppose I just got lucky that my theater did everything right.

The sound mix was really spectacular!

Yeah. I saw TMP (original) in 2019 and I don't remember anything wrong with the sound. And I saw TWOK years ago. No complaints. 

The sound is one of the real highlights of this edition too. 

• 1 month later...

I pre-ordered the 4K 6 movie set, which includes everything except the TV Version of TMP on both 4K (for the future) and Blu-ray (which I am on now).

Then the book is happily closed for me on the TOS movies. :)

That Complete Adventure set looks awesome, but I don't have the shelf space, and have no personal interest in the TV cut. (Plus I'm not on UHD just yet).

I think I'm going to have to splurge on the Complete Adventure TMP set, because the Special Longer Version is how I first discovered the movie on VHS, back in the early/mid-90s! I feel the nostalgic pull and still remember certain moments from that which I miss seeing, even though I agree the Director's Edition is by far the tightest and best edited version of the film.

Apparently for this cut's widescreen debut, they have even finished one particular VFX shot, according to details shared in this TrekCore article:

https://blog.trekcore.com/2022/07/star-trek-original-films-motion-picture-directors-edition-4k-releases/

My birthday is in September and this extravagant single-movie set is what I'm asking for, I guess. (I confess I really wish it had been included in the 6 film set.)

Yavar

I'm surprised that they have included Collins' commentary, given what happened to him.

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I pre-ordered the 4K 6 movie set...

Does it include both versions of II, and VI?

For some reason, the UK Blu of the director's cut of II omits the lines "That boy is my son", and the reply, "Fascinating", but still has the shot of Kirk and Spock climbing the ladder.

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

...I haven't have the shelf space...

Unacceptable! Build, or by, new shelves. What are you? A Star Trek fan, or a mouse?

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does it include both versions of II, and VI?

Yea

Star Trek: The Original 6-Movie Collection (4K Ultra HD)

This comprehensive 15-disc collection includes the first six big-screen adventures featuring the original series crew in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision and HDR-10. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture—The Director’s Edition also includes Dolby Atmos).  Both Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country are making their 4K Ultra HD debuts.  The set also includes access to Digital copies of each of the six films, as well as hours of new and legacy bonus content.  Below is a breakdown of disc contents:

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition – Ultra HD & Blu-ray
    • Additional Blu-ray with bonus content
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Theatrical Cut) – Ultra HD & Blu-ray
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan – Ultra HD & Blu-ray
    • Includes Director’s Cut
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock – Ultra HD & Blu-ray 
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home – Ultra HD & Blu-ray
  • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier – Ultra HD & Blu-ray 
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country – Ultra HD & Blu-ray
    • Includes Director’s Cut  

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition (4K Ultra HD) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (4K Ultra HD) Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (4K Ultra HD)

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (4K Ultra HD) Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (4K Ultra HD) Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (4K Ultra HD)

That TMP set looks exquisite!  I just wish I didn’t already buy the I-IV 4K set.  Shoulda waited. 

Ideally the 6 movie set will have the movies in individual 4K cases with the theatrical artwork, but I suspect it'll ben in 1 or 2 compound boxes, ala the 4 movie box set.

It'll be nice to close the book on these movies. I feel September will have a 6 movie marathon ...