Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director’s Cut 4K Restoration (supervised by Mike Matessino)

crumbs

Arrrgh. I mean, mostly Yaaaay! But what the hell?

I bought the 4 movie collection last year. So I can buy 5 and 6 by themselves, I guess. But if I buy the Complete Adventure I'm double dipping on the theatrical version of TMP. And my shelf is going to be a Frankenstein of covers.

I thought the plan was that there was going to be a companion set with 5, 6, and the DE. Although with the Complete Adventures THAT would be a mess too. WHO CAME UP WITH THIS?!?

I guess the only people who will be unhappy about this will be... Oh, right, the biggest fans who were most likely to buy 1-4 out of the gate!

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Apparently for this cut's widescreen debut, they have even finished one particular VFX shot, according to details shared in this TrekCore article:

Why don't they finish the Officer's Lounge scene in the DE instead? :devil:

I don't suppose they'll make the theatrical cut in the Complete Adventure the actual theatrical cut? That might almost make it worth it. Almost.

EDIT: Holy $%^&! The Complete Adventure is $100!

Also the theatrical TMP is only available on 1-4 / 1-6 sets or the Complete Adventure. Hmmm. That's a little bit Lucas-y.

A couple of things I wish would have been done:

1. Include the Blu-ray with the 4K individual Star Trek TMP: Director's Edition.
  2. Release the Theatrical Edition standalone in 4K with accompanying Blu-ray disk.
  3. Perhaps include the TV long edition with the Theatrical, maybe via seamless branching.

Item 3 is a pie-in-the-sky thing, and I'm not bothered by it's absence personally.

If they had done 1 and 2, I would have upgraded to the individual 4K releases. That said, I have everything I want content wise in the 6 movie set, and am very happy to see a better mastering of the films.

It's blowing my mind that the DE is not available on Blu Ray. 1-6 with "director's cuts"? Oh, sure. 4K + Blu + Digital. I don't have a 4K player yet so buying 4K for the future with Blu Ray for now is a nice compromise.

Also, after 20 years of "Hey, we're not George Lucas. The theatrical cut of TMP is still there," the fact that you have to buy the most expensive sets to get the theatrical cut sounds a bit like "Of COURSE we put the original Star Wars movies out on DVD. There they are. Over there." (Ok, it's not that bad. But it's a step in the wrong direction.)

This is the most Star Trek has frustrated me as a consumer in... ever?

3 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

So... no isolated score for TMP?

Digital Bits says it's there.

27 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

So... no isolated score for TMP?

23 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Digital Bits says it's there.

Well, I hope they include it on the digital release then! I'm counting on iTunes to upgrade my copies of at least V and VI.

Does anyone know what extras are included for the other five films?

I'd love to see the "romance" between Saavik and David, and the deleted scene in III where Saavik and David search for the young Spock.

Come on, Paramount; you've put a lot of work into this. Now, would it hurt to cough-up a measly million to let the Shat finish V?

I hope we get separate releases for 5 and 6. I am more than happy to double dip on TPM but already got previous set of 1-4.

Karol

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anyone know what extras are included for the other five films?

Yea

It should be noted that the 4K Ultra HD and remastered Blu-ray editions of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home are the exact same discs that were released last year. See our announcement of that release here from 7/7/21, which details the special features included on each. (You can also read our in-depth review of The Original 4-Movie Collection 4K Ultra HD box set here).

Note that the previously-released Star Trek: The Motion Picture – Theatrical Cut is ONLY included in the new Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition – The Complete Adventure Limited Edition package and in the Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture 6-Movie Collection box set. It is NOT included in the single film SKU of The Director’s Edition in 4K Ultra HD or Blu-ray, so be sure to plan accordingly.

Though it wasn’t included in today’s press release, we’ve asked Paramount about the special features that are being included on Star Trek V and Star Trek VI in 4K Ultra HD (and remastered Blu-ray), and we’ve now got those details for you here as follows...

STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER (4K ULTRA HD)

• Commentary by William Shatner and Liz Shatner
  • Commentary by Michael & Denise Okuda, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, and Daren Dochterman

STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER (BLU-RAY DISC)

• Commentary by William Shatner and Liz Shatner
  • Commentary by Michael & Denise Okuda, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, and Daren Dochterman
  • Library Computer (HD)
  • Production
    • Harve Bennett’s Pitch to Sales Team
    • The Journey: A Behind-The-Scenes Documentary
    • Makeup Tests
    • Pre-Visualization Models
    • Rockman in the Raw
    • Star Trek V Press Conference
  • The Star Trek Universe
    • Herman Zimmerman: A Tribute
    • Original Interview: William Shatner
    • Cosmic Thoughts
    • That Klingon Couple
    • A Green Future?
    • Star Trek Honors NASA (HD)
    • Hollywood Walk of Fame: James Doohan (HD)
    • Starfleet Academy SCISEC Brief 005: Nimbus III (HD)
  • Deleted Scenes
    • Mount Rushmore
    • Insults
    • Behold Paradise
    • Spock’s Pain
  • Production Gallery
  • Storyboards (HD)
    • Sha ka ree
    • The Face of God
    • Escape
  • Theatrical Trailer 1 (HD)
  • Theatrical Trailer 2 (HD)
  • TV Spots
    • Vacation Is Over
    • Renegade
    • Challenge of Rebellion
    • Brothers
    • Beyond
    • Adventure
    • Warp Speed Now
  • The Gag Reel

STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (THEATRICAL CUT & DIRECTOR’S CUT – 4K ULTRA HD)

• Commentary by Director Nicholas Meyer and Screenwriter Denny Martin Flinn*
  • Commentary by Larry Nemecek and Ira Steven Behr*

*Audio Commentaries apply to Theatrical Cut ONLY.

STAR TREK V: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (THEATRICAL CUT & DIRECTOR’S CUT – BLU-RAY DISC)

• Commentary by Director Nicholas Meyer and Screenwriter Denny Martin Flinn*
  • Commentary by Larry Nemecek and Ira Steven Behr*
  • Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda (co-authors of The Star Trek Encyclopedia)*
  • Library Computer (HD)
  • The Perils of Peacemaking
  • Stories from Star Trek VI
    • It Started with a Story
    • Prejudice
    • Director Nicholas Meyer
    • Shakespeare & General Chang
    • Bring It to Life
    • Farewell & Goodbye
  • The Star Trek Universe
    • Conversations with Nicholas Meyer
    • Klingons: Conjuring the Legend
    • Federation Operatives
    • Penny’s Toy Box
    • Together Again
    • Tom Morga: Alien Stuntman (HD)
    • To Be or Not to Be: Klingons and Shakespeare (HD)
    • Starfleet Academy SCISEC Brief 006: Praxis (HD)
  • Farewell
    • DeForest Kelley: A Tribute
  • Original Interviews
    • William Shatner
    • Leonard Nimoy
    • DeForest Kelley
    • James Doohan
    • Nichelle Nichols
    • George Takei
    • Walter Koenig
    • Iman
  • Production Gallery
  • Storyboards
    • Praxis
    • Assassins
    • Rura Penthe
    • Leaving Spacedock (Omitted)
  • Promotional Material
    • Teaser Trailer (HD)
    • Theatrical Trailer (HD)
    • 1991 Convention Presentation by Nicholas Meyer

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I'm pretty sure they are all being released individually as well.

They are, see here:

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/070622-0830

"All six of the feature films listed above will also be available individually on 4K Ultra HD or Blu-ray."

I can live without TMP (TE) and will skip V - honestly, could Paramount not have ponied up to at least redo some of the VFX on V? The film has some heart to it but I don't think I can bear the pain of seeing some of those dodgy shots in UHD with HDR.

Fortunately it's possible to go straight from IV to VI without missing anything story-wise.

Just because I'm pissed at everything about this right now, I'm annoyed that they're finishing the effects on Kirk leaving the Enterprise in the Special Longer Version. Isn't the point of the SLV is that it's warts and all?

Ironically I realized last night that I can't find my box set of 1-4. It's around here somewhere. It probably just got packed up early...

I guess I'll start shopping for a 4K player.

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Just because I'm pissed at everything about this right now, I'm annoyed that they're finishing the effects on Kirk leaving the Enterprise in the Special Longer Version. Isn't the point of the SLV is that it's warts and all?

All previous releases of the SLV were fullscreen, not the original widescreen aspect ratio. Since this is its premiere release in widescreen, that shot would have been REALLY unacceptable, vs. just marginally acceptable in unfinished form, on TV.

Yavar

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

All previous releases of the SLV were fullscreen, not the original widescreen aspect ratio. Since this is its premiere release in widescreen, that shot would have been REALLY unacceptable, vs. just marginally acceptable in unfinished form, on TV.

Yavar

Damn it, Yavar, there you go doing your whole "reasonable" thing. ;) Fair enough, I suppose.

I admit it was kind of an adjustment when I got the laser disc of TMP in the mid 90's (my first wide-screen edition of TMP I think) and it wasn't the SLV. I mean, for over 10 years the SLV WAS the movie.

Now between only having the theatrical cut and the DE for the last 20 years the only two things I remember from the SLV are the scene with Sulu and Ilia and Kirk coming out of the Enterprise. I know it had Spock's tear, but that's less special since it's now the crowning moment of the DE.

But I'm going to shell out $100 to get it! (Trekkies, man.)

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Damn it, Yavar, there you go doing your whole "reasonable" thing. ;) Fair enough, I suppose.

I admit it was kind of an adjustment when I got the laser disc of TMP in the mid 90's (my first wide-screen edition of TMP I think) and it wasn't the SLV. I mean, for over 10 years the SLV WAS the movie.

Now between only having the theatrical cut and the DE for the last 20 years the only two things I remember from the SLV are the scene with Sulu and Ilia and Kirk coming out of the Enterprise. I know it had Spock's tear, but that's less special since it's now the crowning moment of the DE.

But I'm going to shell out $100 to get it! (Trekkies, man.)

Yeah, it's just frustrating because I don't want all the non-disc bells-and-whistles, and I'd prefer a normal size box that sits on my shelf with the rest. But I want that SLV because as you say it WAS the movie, when I became a Star Trek fan!

There actually was a laserdisc release of the SLV back in the 80s, but it too was fullscreen, not widescreen.

Here's a fan-made video from five years ago, basically demonstrating the problem and executing a fix, which will probably now be largely duplicated by Paramount:

45 seconds in you can see what the full screen video looked like. I think it's pretty glaring even in full screen VHS, but imagine how much more unacceptable that would be included in a new widescreen Special Longer Version.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Anyone recommend a good 4K player?

I'm planning to pick up an Xbox One S myself. My Xbox 360 with add-on HD-DVD drive has served me well over the years as has my PS3 - both strictly as HD players as I don't game.

It's a pity that Sony did not imbue it's PS4 with UHD disc capability and I'm certainly not going shell out ridiculous money for a PS5.

You don't play any video games at all ever, yet purchased both an XBox 360 and a PS3?

I use my Xbox SX to watch 4k blus, although it's frustrating that Dolby Vision and HDR 10 are only supported for games and streaming apps but not blu ray discs.  Or something like that, it's confusing.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You don't play any video games at all ever, yet purchased both an XBox 360 and a PS3?

In 2007 I bought a PS3 at the time exclusively for it being a Blu-ray and media player. 

I got into a few games as an afterthought, but it was (at the time) widely considered to be the fastest Blu-ray player on the market and I found it was fantastic. 

I purchased a PS3 way back since it was from Sony, and one of the best Blu-ray players, so updates to fix Blu-ray playback issues would be out sooner. Theoretically at least. :)

As for the UHD / Blu-ray release, I'm getting the 6 movie collection, since it contains everything but the SLV, on both Blu-ray and UHD.

Blu-rays are for now, since I'm not on the 4K equipment train yet, but the 4K disks in the set will future-proof me.

So barring something spectacular happening, this collection effectively will close the book on the TOS movies.

I strongly suspect a similar release will come next year for the TNG movies. Or perhaps I would get them as individual 4K / Blu-ray combos.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The PS3 was a gift, a family member brought a Region A player in on a trip from abroad but their child wanted an Xbox, so my wife bought the PS3 for me, knowing I wanted one to use as a BD player. At the time, the 1st gen players were pretty hopeless (and expensive) with limited upgradeability so it made sense.

The Xbox with drive was a sensible option for HD-DVD at the time as there were no other players available where I live - this was back when the format war was still in full swing so I wanted to hedge my bets.

29 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

@OneBuckFilms it looks like even in the six movie set the TMP DE is not on Blu-ray, only the special features. 

Not the case. TMP Director's Edition is the 4K movie, the Blu-ray movie, then a 3rd disk for the special features.

3 Disks of the 15 disc set.

What you get in the TOS collection:

Star Trek: TMP: Directors Edition

- Movie in 4K

- Movie on Blu-ray

- Special Features Blu-ray

Star Trek TMP: Theatrical

- Movie in 4k

- Movie and Features

Star Trek II

- Movie in 4k (Theatrical + Directors Cut)

- Movie and Features on Blu-ray (Theatrical + Directors Cut)

Star Trek III

- Movie in 4k

- Movie and Features on Blu-ray

Star Trek IV

- Movie in 4k

Star Trek V

- Movie in 4k

Star Trek VI

- Movie in 4k (Theatrical + Directors Cut)

- Movie and Features on Blu-ray (Theatrical + Directors Cut)

4K and Blu-ray disks both include the commentaries and text commentaries for the films, and TMP both Theatrical and DE contain isolated scores.

This review of The Voyage Home Ultra HD was the first thing to make me consider getting a 4K player.

The SLV being only available on 4K is the second thing to make me consider getting a 4K player. I dunno, though, the thing about it being “gone forever” after this limited $100 release that’s going to sell out in preorder, that makes me not want to play ball.

The SLV had no interest to me personally, and the SLV was simply a way to make the film longer for more commercial breaks.

That said, it would have been better to include it in Blu-ray and 4K generally in the TMP: Director's Edition SKU.

I also would have liked to see it in the 6 movie box set, again ideally.

However, the "Complete Adventure" set is an appropriate place to put it, and gives that edition something unique.

I'm personally satisfied with the 6 movie set.

Well, I preordered the TMP Swag Edition from Amazon.  Crossing my fingers there will be a low price drop glitch, because they usually honor those.  $100 for one movie is tough to swallow.  BUT... I feel like the inclusion of the SLV cut is due to Mike's involvement.  I wonder how limited it truly is.  I ordered now because I didn't want to wake up and find out it's sold out one day.

If that truly is the only way to get the SLV, I think it will be pretty pricey once it goes secondary market.

It's unfortunate they didn't include a standard blu ray of the DE with that set, but they do with the 15 disc box.  I imagine you'll be able to pick up the blu ray by itself though.  I think they are going to try every possible avenue of getting their money back on their investment.

As for 5 and 6, I will pick them up much later.  I can wait for sales.

I only knew SKU because I've worked on retail software. ;)

@Andy I feel your pain. But if I'm going to spend $100 on one movie... It would be Star Wars. But AFTER that it would be TMP.

@OneBuckFilmsand @Tallguy I found a way to lessen the pain.  The UK version is 5 discs versus the 3 disk US version.  They include the Theatrical and the Director Edition on separate Blu-Rays. After doing some research on Bluray.com, it seems there is no release that has the Special Longer Version in standard Blu Ray.  It is unique on 4K UHD. 

According to the product details they are Region A, B, and C so that’s good. I am assuming that is referring to the Blu rays and not the 4K discs.  

I preordered from Amazon UK and they remove the VAT so it comes out to £54 shipped, which could go even less if they price match.  And is cheaper already than the US release. 

You can also get it from Zavvi if you prefer. 

I guess paramount is forcing us to be “motivated consumers”. 

Ah, so in the fancy box set they put the theatrical cut and Special Longer Version on the same disc and used seamless branching.  That makes sense, so the entire Special Longer Cut will look as good as the 4K theatrical cut except for the different scenes, which might look just as good or might look slightly different based on the quality of the print they found I suppose.

I'm just going to buy the Complete Adventure and start shopping for a 4K player. And maybe a drive for the computer. I didn't buy the last two or three editions of the movies on blu ray (except for TWOK) so I suppose the bill has come due.

The SLV is not enough of an interest to me personally, so I'm getting the 6 movie set and gifting my current Blu-rays for I thru IV.

V and VI are currently from the earlier TOS movie box set, and were signed by William Shatner (Trek V) and Cliff Eidelman (Trek VI, he wrote out the opening bar of the main titles). Which means they are for keeps.

It would be cool to see a Trek V special edition, but probability is low at this point.

My ultimate wish would be to have a HD or 4K restoration for DS9 and Voyager to match what they did for TNG.

The TMP: DE approach seems to be successful, perhaps a model for how to finance DS9 and Voyager remasters?

Make them Paramount+ exclusive for a period before releasing each remastered season so P+ can get positive cash and subscriptions, followed by the physical media releases.

Alas, my understanding is that the main reason DS9/Voyager will never happen isn't necessarily lack of interest but the fact that the FX are CGI done at insufficiently high resolution so, unlike TNG, where they could recomposite the filming of the models in HD and the level of additional CGI required was minor (i.e. phaser blasts and other beams etc.), for DS9/Voyager, it would mean recreating entirely sequences from scratch with new CGI models which would be prohibitively expensive. Then again, some people have demonstrated that upscaling could work... so.. shrug?!

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I know this is probably not the right place to post this, but Paramount, you really dropped the ball on this opportunity:

Hmmm, the integration of the Enterprise into the (Inception, I assume?) Fx is pretty janky... given how amazing some of the amateur FX artists are out there, this wasn't quite as great as I hoped. Having said that, STV does deserve a bit more love. I still maintain there's a great movie in there and it's not nearly as out there as a concept as some people maintain, I mean, the Enterprise met Greek gods on its original 5 year mission... so an alien posing as an all powerful god is actually a pretty neat, very Trek idea, especially mixing in the stuff about whether your pain can be taken away and so on. It just probably needed someone to brush up the script to give the ideas greater credibility, a decent FX budget and (arguably, I think a lot of it is quite well shot) a better director. The character stuff is largely pretty great. Plus... Jerry... this is what I always say separates classic Trek from Abrams Trek. Giacchino's scores for those movies are fine enough as action adventure scores, but Jerry was scoring a film that was aiming for more, imbuing the janky effects and cod philosophy with a level of awe and wonder that the film itself couldn't quite muster. Even his scores for First Contact and Insurrection only hit that tone infrequently, and almost never for Nemesis which is why I can never get that enthused about his final Trek, fine enough though it is as a late stage Jerry action score. However the MG scores have pretty much no awe and wonder, but the films don't even attempt it, so I can't blame MG for that.

Oops, I may have digressed...