Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director’s Cut 4K Restoration (supervised by Mike Matessino)

crumbs

I am very confused as to what all these releases contain and as someone who already own the previous 1-4 film set I am not sure what would be the best option for me.

EDIT: Ah never mind. I just had to read a bit more about it.

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I am very confused as to what all these releases contain and as someone who already own the previous 1-4 film set I am not sure what would be the best option for me.

EDIT: Ah never mind. I just had to read a bit more about it.

Karol

Right?!?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just canceled my preorder for “The Complete Adventure.” By all accounts, none of the sound work that was done for the DE 4K made it into the SLV 4K. Anyway, the idea that I would have to buy the DE if I want to watch the SLV is a real dick move. Not to mention I would have to buy a 4K player because the SLV is only on 4K. And yet I am still paying to have the other versions on Blu-ray. Not to mention at the end of the day I would probably prefer the Laserdisc rip anyway. What was I thinking? Luckily Amazon’s shipping was delayed.

People are funny. I would be pissed if the 2022 sound mix DID make its way into the SLV. (Just as I would be if it was done on the 1979 cut of the film.) I'm still on the fence about finishing the matte for the Kirk in the Airlock scene! It's not like if the matte was finished that Wise would have said "Oh, yes. That should be in the film now."

@Pellaeon do you think the SLV should have been released separately? I would be totally fine if the SLV was only available as part of a premium package as long as it was all on Blu-ray as well as 4K. But then it wasn't that long ago that I always wanted a DVD version.

To me the dick move is that the Theatrical cut is not available on the individual release. It's only on the Complete Adventure or as part of the 1-4 or 1-6 sets.

I've picked up enough other 4K films at this point that I'm not outraged to buy nice little $100 Sony player. Getting it ripped on to my Plex server is another matter...

I admit I will eventually get a 4K player. It was just going to be a double-whammy to buy it along with this set (which, again, is so expensive partially because of the blu-rays you’re also buying). Between this factor and the vaunted scarcity of the set, it just feels like a lot of arm-twisting.

This was the real deal-breaker, spotted in the Digital Bits review: “The Special Longer Version is available in 2.0 Dolby Digital, while the Theatrical Version includes 7.1 Dolby TrueHD.” The studio is not obliged to give SLV a whole lot of TLC, I’m also not obliged to buy it, not at this price. A $17 blu-ray, sure.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Can't wait to check out the isolated score 

Could you let us know if it's in 5.1?

28 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Hey, would anyone here be interested in a record length four hour conversation with Mike Mattesino about his work restoring this for the DE over an eight month period, his relationship with Robert Wise, etc.?

I would.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Hey, would anyone here be interested in a record length four hour conversation with Mike Mattesino about his work restoring this for the DE over an eight month period, his relationship with Robert Wise, etc.? ;) 

Yavar

That sounds like something I'd like, yeah. 

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Hey, would anyone here be interested in a record length four hour conversation with Mike Mattesino about his work restoring this for the DE over an eight month period, his relationship with Robert Wise, etc.? ;) 

Yavar

I could live with its existence. :)

Karol

Quick question, because I've completely lost track of the different editions coming out:

Am I correct in thinking that this is the new box set (as far as can be told at this point based on the fact that it's the German release and Amazon doesn't list many details for it yet), containing the theatrical and extended (for 1, 2, and 6) cuts, and the new remasters for all the films, plus the iso score for TMP and all the relevant extras? And is there a Blu-ray edition that does *not* contain the 4K versions?

(I don't have 4K equipment yet, and while getting a 4K player wouldn't be a problem, I don't want to afford a 4K projector at this point)

The main thing missing from that six film box set is the Special Longer Version (a TV cut from the early 80s) of TMP. For a decade or so it was actually the preferred version on video, the cut I originally grew up with actually, and this is its first time in widescreen so I’m pretty excited… most people will be happy with just the DE I suspect though.

Yavar

The truly hardcore are getting the individual releases, for the packaging/art.

May be an image of 1 person

For movies 2-6, at this point I wouldn’t invest any time or money in any non-4K Blu-ray — neither the standalone releases nor the discs included in the new 4K sets. My understanding is they’re all from a decade and a half ago and suffer heavy DNR.

TMP Theatrical (2021 remaster) or Director’s (2022 remaster) are going to be fine on Blu-ray, I expect.

54 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The main thing missing from that six film box set is the Special Longer Version (a TV cut from the early 80s) of TMP. For a decade or so it was actually the preferred version on video, the cut I originally grew up with actually, and this is its first time in widescreen so I’m pretty excited… most people will be happy with just the DE I suspect though.

Yes, that's the one difference between the 1-6 set and the big TMP box that I remember, and I'm fine without that particular cut.

50 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

The truly hardcore are getting the individual releases, for the packaging/art.

Box design has fortunately become less and less important to me over the years, at least for most films, partly because after a couple of hundred discs, I rarely look at the covers anyway, and partly because box design in general (like Blu-ray production in general, as far as menu design, audio & subtitle tracks, and handling of extra features goes) has been in a steep decline for years.

50 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

For movies 2-6, at this point I wouldn’t invest any time or money in any non-4K Blu-ray — neither the standalone releases nor the discs included in the new 4K sets. My understanding is they’re all from a decade and a half ago and suffer heavy DNR.

It was my impression that this time, the Blu-ray versions are also the new remasters? Especially if the regular and extended versions are included, because for VI I believe only the theatrical cut had been available on Blu until now? Poor reviews of the previous masters are the reason why I so far have only TWOK on Blu (although that twice), so my hope was that the new set would finally be my return to the series.

The Blu-rays in the individual 4K and 6 film sets are all from the scans done for the 4K. The menus, mirroring the 4K disks, are simply the theatrical poster art for each respective movie.

So the excessive DNR and Edge Enhancement from the 2009 Blu-rays are gone.

All special features from the 2009 releases are carried over, with WOK containing the additional material added for the Directors Cut.

30 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A curious thing about the 2016 DE Blu of STAR TREK II: for some reason, in the English dub, the lines "That boy's my son", and "Fascinating", have been removed.

At Meyer's direction, I believe. 

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

The Blu-rays in the individual 4K and 6 film sets are all from the scans done for the 4K. The menus, mirroring the 4K disks, are simply the theatrical poster art for each respective movie.

So the excessive DNR and Edge Enhancement from the 2009 Blu-rays are gone.

All special features from the 2009 releases are carried over, with WOK containing the additional material added for the Directors Cut.

Oh, that’s great! Going to pick up TVH, then, and not have to worry about a 4K player for now.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Could you let us know if it's in 5.1?

It is not. However, you hear original recording slate numbers being announced just before cues are about to start.

Karol

On 08/09/2022 at 10:06 PM, OneBuckFilms said:

Here's the thing, I have no issue with the Star Wars Special Editions. There are many things I enjoy about the additions.

The thing I decry is that the original film was effectively destroyed and hidden from home video or cinematic viewing after 1997, compounded further by various DVD, Blu-ray and 4K additions and changes along the way.

Blade Runner did it right by preserving the existing cuts as well as the enhanced version.

And Star Trek TMP releases ALSO preserve history along with the original theatrical cut (and the SLV).

The Alien Anthology Blu-ray set had both original and directors cuts of those films, preserving history and presenting eloved or director-preferred versions.

The problem is not the presense or absense of new effects, it is the destruction of the history making original versions of the Star Wars movies that get my goat.

I thought the theatrical cuts for the OT or at least for Star Wars was preserved at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.? I could be wrong but I swore that is what I read.

I would love to get this Trek set but $$$ is the problem. So has anyone ripped the isolated scores for the DC and Theatrical versions?

1 hour ago, Trent B said:

I thought the theatrical cuts for the OT or at least for Star Wars was preserved at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.? I could be wrong but I swore that is what I read.

I would love to get this Trek set but $$$ is the problem. So has anyone ripped the isolated scores for the DC and Theatrical versions?

No, it was listed but Lucasfilm only ever provided the 97 SE prints because that is all they had.

2 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

No, it was listed but Lucasfilm only ever provided the 97 SE prints because that is all they had.

BS. They just showed the original Star Wars at an event for Marcia Lucas last year. They exist. Lucas pretends they don't. 

23 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

BS. They just showed the original Star Wars at an event for Marcia Lucas last year. They exist. Lucas pretends they don't. 

I'll correct his post for you:

No, it was listed but Lucasfilm only ever provided the 97 SE prints because that is all they said they had.

Ha! Thanks, @Manakin Skywalker All I can say is that George played the long game and I'm pretty sure it worked. Pizza-bot sad.

So I bought The Big Thing (The Complete Adventure) and a player to play it. I have watched 5 minutes of it. (Don't buy expensive electronics and media when you're in the middle of a move.)

Just watching the star field at the overture: Is "down-rezzing" or whatever the thing is called hard? It looks great. Maybe not exactly like a Doug Trumbull star field. But it's a hell of a lot better than what I saw on Amazon Prime. Or on the digital copy on Vudu. It doesn't flicker or chatter. I'd look at the Blu-ray, but oh, right, they didn't give me one! I have a lot of digital movies now and none of them look this crappy on digital. I'm not even sure it looked this good in the theater.

On my TV set (no fancy sound system yet) it sounds great.

The packaging is gorgeous but impractical. I may find a different place to store the discs.

I haven't even taken the other two discs out of the package.

The David Kimble cutaway painting of the Enterprise is a work of art that has never been equaled. Even here in a tiny form it takes my breath away. I am not ashamed to admit that it was a tipping point in deciding to purchase this.

It's an extravagance to be sure. There aren't many movies that I would just throw my hands up and say "Oh, sure! Take my money!" I bet the other one has laser swords. (I attended a talk with Bruce Campbell a long time ago. Someone asked about the umpteenth Evil Dead DVD - and this was 20 years ago - and he laughed and said "You poor bastards." I know what he meant now.)

BTW - I threw in my 4K of Superman. (I sadly found out that I did NOT buy the 4K of Raiders of the Lost Ark.) I come to find out that the original sound mix is only on the Blu-ray. Wow, these people HATE us, don't they? (It's hyperbole. But I bet it's true.)

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

4K77, 4K83 and upcoming 4K80 for the win. 

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"David Kimble cutaway painting"?

Can you post, @Tallguy?

https://www.motor1.com/features/140724/star-trek-starship-enterprise-cutaway/

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Library Of Congress should never have accepted the S.E.

I don't believe that they did.

Picking up a new 4K player today because my old Sony UBP-X800 is a brick and won't read discs.

I'm hearing a lot of people complain that the 4K Star Trek discs freeze or won't read.  The reason given is that with only one or two manufacturing plants, there's lots of chemical residue on the discs, and plastic outgassing and such.  The solution seems to be wiping the disc with water and a microfiber cloth.  Or disc replacement.  Happened to Steven Woolston over at FSM.