Andy Serkis is recording new audiobook versions of the Lord of the Rings books

Jay

17 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I tried to listen to Robert Inglis twice, but it just didn't work. Well, that and the bad writing.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Finally, some Lord of the Rings news to get excited about!

The Inglis versions are very good, I've listened to them many times. But they're 30 years old and a new recording was long overdue. The unabridged recording that Serkis did of The Hobbit was fantastic (and much better than the marathon live reading of the book he did), so I'm expecting good things from this. He imitated somewhat the performances of McKellan, etc. in The Hobbit, so it will be fun to hear if he continues with that.

https://twitter.com/HarperCollinsUK/status/1412339289485103104?

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Speaking of which, I was looking through some of the stuff of my friend who passed a year ago with their partner and we've found this today:

20221010_123552.jpg20221010_123926.jpg20221010_123556.jpg20221010_123601.jpg20221010_123608.jpg20221010_123617.jpg

I inherited this and some of his other stuff - like the nifty limited edition suitcase release Jurassic Park on VHS.

Karol

I've listened to the Serkis recording, it's surprisingly good...even excellent. Usually I'm skeptical of film and TV actors doing audiobooks, it feels gimmicky, but Serkis is quite capable to the task. I like how he subtly mimics the performance of some of the actors who were in the films. I wouldn't call it better than the Inglis version, just different. 

Karol, if you haven't listened to those tapes, that's the BBC dramatisation, and it's excellent. Ian Holm plays Frodo. Very highly recommended!

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't know how they do it.  I read aloud to my oldest (as in, an actual novel not a picture book) and I have a headache and want desperately to stop speaking after 5-6 pages.

Ya gotta do warm ups and such! ;)

26 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Karol, if you haven't listened to those tapes, that's the BBC dramatisation, and it's excellent. Ian Holm plays Frodo. Very highly recommended!

I think I listened to that and their Hobbit when I was down with the chickenpox. Audio speech only is not my genre, but I highly enjoyed them, like the SW OT dramatisations, highly recommended indeed!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So yeah, next month we’re getting a new Serkis-narrated audiobook of The Silmarillion. His narration ofThe Hobbit & Lord of the Rings is quite good, but I'm curious as to how he’ll approach. The Silmarillion. Martin Shaw's existing reading is phenomenal, and I'm not certain the talents Serkis brought to the other books (an overabundance of personality, character voices, paying homage to the film performances, etc) are necessarily applicable to The Silmarillion. To say nothing of the fact that The Silmarillion probably is a book better read than listened to, especially for those new to it, given the number of characters and events one has to keep up with.

That said, of course I’ll listen!

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Okay, where in my living room did you hide your camera!?!

Where I know it wouldn’t be disturbed…next to your George Lucas biographies.

BTW that thing you do with Isolde is illegal in 17 countries, including most of your neighbours.

24 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

BTW that thing you do with Isolde is illegal in 17 countries, including most of your neighbours.

But...but she's so pretty! :w00t:

(and no, I didn't make this)

unknown.png

• 2 months later...

OMG, it's so amazing to listen to... Tolkien's worlds always seem so realistic thanks to lots of masterfully depicted details... And that's exactly what Andy Serkis does in his audiobooks... true actor... Thank you guys for sharing the news and links. I'm also a big fan of The Silmarillion since the very first reading it and if it's recorded by Serkis, it would be something special... Thanks! 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Finally started on the Hobbit. What a treat. I think Serkis is actually going to get me through these books!

That's good. You've taken your first step into a larger world.