Jerry Goldsmith's Extreme Prejudice (1987) - NEW! 2-CD Intrada Expanded coming July 13 2021

Jay

I don’t know why that title popped into my mind the other day when I was thinking about possible releases / re-issues. 

What is on the second CD? I see no reason for this not to be a straight reissue of the old LLL. The sound quality was excellent and it seemed to be complete.

23 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What is on the second CD? I see no reason for this not to be a straight reissue of the old LLL. The sound quality was excellent and it seemed to be complete.

I assume the second CD will contain the original Goldsmith-produced album program Intrada put out early on (which some people preferred as a listening experience). I think the complete score will sound considerably better than the LLL (which many consider to be poorly mastered compared to the original Intrada). And I think there will be a few other surprises to look forward to on Monday night, based on my conversations with Doug… stay tuned for more info!

Yavar

I'm completely unfamiliar with this score and film.  Can somebody embed one highlight track that showcases what the score has to offer?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm completely unfamiliar with this score and film.  Can somebody embed one highlight track that showcases what the score has to offer?

Might be my favorite Goldsmith cue, though this melody is very sparsely used in the score

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I assume the second CD will contain the original Goldsmith-produced album program Intrada put out early on (which some people preferred as a listening experience). I think the complete score will sound considerably better than the LLL (which many consider to be poorly mastered compared to the original Intrada). And I think there will be a few other surprises to look forward to on Monday night, based on my conversations with Doug… stay tuned for more info!

Yavar

I guess that means I gotta double dip….

These labels need to hire you as PR guy! 😉

Doug's Corner

7/11/2021

This week’s newest soundtrack release revisits one of Intrada’s very first CDs, Extreme Prejudice, now for the first time complete. The booklet cover premieres the original 1987 one sheet campaign art. Intrada’s credit actually appeared on that poster as well as onscreen in the film’s end titles, so this was a really cool moment in our early years. Jerry Goldsmith plus military action cloaked in western garb equals a bullseye. Check out the artwork, contents and sound samples Monday eve!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8752

So there are two versions of The Bank but it says they were both previously released? However it looks like the La-La Land release only had one version, which I assume was the electronic rescore. I doubt it's a typo, what am I missing?

I am referring to this new set. The track The Bank in the complete section of the first disc has no asterisk next to it, inferring that it was previously released. But there is no track of that length called The Bank on the OST and I presume what was on the La-La Land has now been relegated to the second section of disc one with the other electronically rescored cues, which were apparently in sequence in the La-La Land release. I think I have now figured out that maybe The original Bank is worked into the OST cue The Plan which is very long.

Am I right? I think I'm right. Anyway that was my problem.

I'm being misunderstood somehow but it's alright because I think the original version of The Bank is in The Plan on the OST and that's all I needed to know. I guess when I get the set, I will know for sure.

Extreme Prejudice.jpg

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12265/.f?sc=13&category=-113

Intrada revisits one of its earliest soundtrack releases, for the first time complete and fully remastered! Walter Hill directs, Mario Kassar & Andrew Vajna present, Nick Note, Powers Boothe, Maria Conchita Alonso, Michael Ironside, Rip Torn, Clancy Brown, William Forsythe star, John Milius & Fred Rexer create the story, Jerry Goldsmith composes and conducts. Think of the movie as a modern day western - part tribute to The Wild Bunch and part tribute to military action pictures, set on the Texas-Mexico border. Find Texas Rangers vs drug dealers vs bank robbers and get action galore!

Jerry Goldsmith creates a multi-layered score for orchestra plus electronics: One layer features driving staccato rhythms, frequently in basses with electronic percussion, moving the music ever-forward. Another layer features a descending syncopated line that serves as a primary melodic idea, typically heard in French horns or trombones, countering the staccato rhythms. Arguably the most emotional layer is also its quietest: solo trumpet, an all-time favorite color for the composer, plays for the loner-hero of the film, Texas Ranger Jack Benteen (Nick Nolte), intoning the descending melody, then continuing the line upwards into a complete theme. The haunting idea speaks for both inner loneliness and courageous heroism in spite of overwhelming odds.

And Goldsmith has still more to offer: A cascading triplet figure from three trumpets with reverb speaks to the secret military outfit built of five presumed deceased army sergeants led by Major Hackett (Michael Ironside) that figure heavily in the action plus a pitch-bending electronic motif playing for Cash Bailey (Powers Boothe) and his drug trafficking enterprise across the border. Spotlights go to an idea introduced late in the score (“No Friendlies”) and ultimately developed in full regalia as the end title itself.

Drawn from colors similar to the composer’s celebrated Under Fire, this finale showcases one of Goldsmith’s best architectural devices: Eschewing the customary wrap-up with a medley of themes and motifs, Goldsmith singularly works with one idea, increasing the orchestral density, letting everything build until it ultimately emerges as a commanding theme. This dynamic Goldsmith device lives in a very small family that includes Papillon, The Swarm and In Harm’s Way.

This newly remastered 2-CD release includes the entire orchestral score in Goldsmith’s intended film sequence, courtesy Studiocanal, including music never-before released. Several electronic re-scored cues, not part of Goldsmith’s original scoring sessions, follows. CD 2 presents the original album Goldsmith and engineers Bruce Botnick and Bernie Grundman assembled for Intrada back in 1987 when the film was first released, which includes numerous editorial assemblies designed with musicality in mind.

New packaging designed by Kay Marshal features the original one sheet art plus informative booklet notes by John Takis. Mike Ross records and mixes, Jerry Goldsmith conducts the Hungarian State Opera Orchestra. Intrada Special Collection 2-CD set available while quantities and interest remain!

CD 1 Complete Original Score
01. Extreme Prejudice (Trailer) (2:11)
02. Arrivals (5:21)
03. Cash (3:33)
04. The Bomb (3:58)
05. The Set Up (2:07)
06. The Morning After (1:15)
07. Dust (4:16)
08. The Funeral (1:00)
09. A Nice Fellow* (1:49)
10. The Plan** (2:58)
11. Out Of Business* (0:48)

12. The Bank (6:54)
13. Identities (1:45)
14. To Mexico (3:05)
15. No Friendlies (2:39)
16. Positions (0:52)
17. A Good Chance (2:14)
18. They Don’t Care (1:16)
19. You Ready? (2:34)
20. A Deal (4:40)
Total Score Time: 56:37

The Extras – Electronic Rescore
21. Next Time (0:22)
22. The Plan (Revised) (2:04)
23. The Bank (Revised) (5:01)
24. The Bank (Revised) – Continued (1:34)
25. Fighting (2:14)
The Extras Time: 11:16
Total Time: 68:04

CD 2 Original 1987 Soundtrack Album
01. Arrivals (5:19)
02. Cash (7:28)
03. The Set Up (3:21)
04. Dust (4:16)
05. Identities (1:45)
06. Extreme Prejudice (2:13)
07. The Plan (9:22)
08. To Mexico (3:05)
09. No Friendlies (2:39)
10. They Don’t Care (3:39)
11. The Funeral (2:07)
12. A Deal (4:40)
Total Time: 50:43

*Not Previously Released
**Includes Music Not Previously Released

ExtremePrejudice_isc467_600c.jpg

Here's Roger's write-up too

INTRADA Announces:

ImageImage

EXTREME PREJUDICE
Music Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
ISC 467

For its latest release, Intrada revisits one of the earliest releases in its catalog–the 1987 Carolco production Extreme Prejudice. Deep into the '80s now, composer Jerry Goldsmith continued his exploration of blending orchestra and electronics, artistically finding an intersection that could bridge tradition and modern ideas. Extreme Prejudice provided an ideal canvas to further this examination, as it could be considered a western set in contemporary times. The score was recorded with the Hungarian State Opera Orchestra, which had previously recorded Goldsmith's Hoosiers and King Solomon's Mines, plus three musician's from the UK to perform the electronic parts. The music features a driving rhythmic idea that unifies the score as it appears in several guises throughout. As the film moves south of the border, so does the score, introducing a theme reminiscent of Goldsmith's amazing work on Under Fire. Highlights include the driving main title, the nine-plus-minute action cue that is up there with many of Goldsmith's top action cues (and removed from the film!), and a melancholy, gentle theme for Jack's personal, strained life.

The original Intrada release was assembled by Jerry Goldsmith and Bruce Botnick back in 1987 and was subsequently re-issued by La-La Land Records, which added the electronic replacement score. For this new release, Intrada presents the complete score in film order, including selections not previously released, as the composer originally envisioned the score. The electronic replacement score is presented in its own suite after the main program. A second CD includes the original album presentation and its unique and musical assemblies.

The film, starring Nick Nolte and Rip Torn, centers on Texas Ranger Jack Benteen, operating in a Texas town embattled by the drug war. Jack’s most significant relationships are with the seasoned local sheriff, Hank Pearson; his childhood friend, Cash Bailey, now a powerful drug lord in Mexico; and his girlfriend, Sarita, whose allegiance is torn between ex-flame Cash and the increasingly obsessive Jack. Into this powder keg drops Special Forces spook Major Paul Hackett and his Zombie Unit of officially. Ostensibly, their mission is to take down Bailey in clandestine fashion, robbing a bank where his assets are kept. But Hackett has ulterior motives. Hank is killed in an explosive shootout, the heist goes wrong, loyalties are betrayed, and it all culminates in a south-of-the-border bloodbath that calls back to Sam Peckinpah’s The Wild Bunch.

INTRADA ISC 467
Barcode: 7 20258546708
Retail Price: $24.99
Ships week of 7/12
For track listing and sound samples, please visit the Extreme Prejudice soundtrack page at http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12265/.f

13 hours ago, blondheim said:

I am referring to this new set. The track The Bank in the complete section of the first disc has no asterisk next to it, inferring that it was previously released. But there is no track of that length called The Bank on the OST and I presume what was on the La-La Land has now been relegated to the second section of disc one with the other electronically rescored cues, which were apparently in sequence in the La-La Land release. I think I have now figured out that maybe The original Bank is worked into the OST cue The Plan which is very long.

Am I right? I think I'm right. Anyway that was my problem.

Yes.  The album track "The Plan" was always the film cues "The Plan" and "The Bank" combined together.  On the new release they are separated, with the cue "Out of Business" in between them to keep everything chronological.

The question is: What were "They Don't Care" and "The Funeral" from the OST/LLL split into on this new release?

Also, what's "You Ready?" and why is "A Nice Fellow" marked with a star on this release?

Sweet, I don't have this one so I will definitely get it...though I might wait and bundle with whatever Williams is coming, and probably the Elfman too...and maybe Call of the Wild if samples sound fun. 

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The question is: What were "They Don't Care" and "The Funeral" from the OST/LLL split into on this new release?

Also, what's "You Ready?" and why is "A Nice Fellow" marked with a star on this release?

Here’s the response I got from John Takis who wrote the liner notes (hopefully he won’t mind me sharing here):

"A Nice Fellow" on the LLL release was actually the revised version of "You Ready?"
That can be heard on this new release as the second part of the track "You Ready?", which crossfades the original and revised versions.

So I suppose it's worth hanging onto the LLL if you insist on having a clean opening for the revised cue.
The original version was also used at the beginning of the original album track "Funeral," and it pretty much has a clean ending there. So it's possible to have both the original and revised cue "clean" with both releases and a bit of minor audio editing.

In terms of listenability, however, it's a very natural-sounding crossfade and the cue is short, so it made sense.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Yavar

album/LLL track "Cash" = film cues "Cash" and "The Bomb"

album track "The Set Up" = film cues "The Set Up" and "The Morning After" and "Positions"

album/LLL track "The Funeral" = film cues "You Ready?" {original version} and "The Funeral"

album/LLL track "The Plan" = film cues "The Plan" and "The Bank"

album/LLL track "They Don't Care" = film cues "A Good Chance" and "They Don't Care"

LLL track "The Set Up" = film cues "The Set Up" and "The Morning After" {"Positions" is split out to maintain chronology}

LLL track "A Nice Fellow" = film cue "You Ready?" (revised version) {previously unreleased, and misnamed}

LLL track "Positions" = film cue "Positions" in its own track {moved to its own track to maintain chronology}

Intrada track "You Ready?" = film cues "You Ready?" (original version) and "You Ready?" (revised version)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GWW18baFXq_AhlEFihsDVqQjlLh9qf8buvi8UVVy0VE/

The LLL is the only place you can get a clean opening "You Ready?" (revised version)

The Intrada is the only place you can get clean openings to "The Bomb", "The Morning After", "The Funeral", "The Bank" (original version), and "They Don't Care", as well as the only place you can get clean endings to "Cash", "The Set Up", "The Plan" (original version), and "A Good Chance"

A clean ending for "You Ready?" (original version) remains unreleased.

Hope everyone enjoys our latest Soundtrack Spotlight episode!

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8913325-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-extreme-prejudice-1987

image.jpeg

Kinda bummed I wasn’t able to participate, but it turned out great without me. :) 

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Anyone else hear these constant clicks in "The Morning After"? This was not on the 2004 release!

Yeah and it’s on the OST rebuild on disc 2 in “The Set Up”, which covers the same material. Disappointing but it’s an improved set otherwise.

Seems to me like elements that are degrading over time rather than an error. It’s not on the original release. But I’m not an expert on these things.

I’ve noticed this type of clicking on a lot of Goldsmith expansions over the years like the most recent Night Crossing where I actually prefer the previous release as a result. But it’s not super loud on this release and only maybe a minute. It’s not a huge deal.

I don't see how a *regular* clicking noise like on Night Crossing can be a result of degradation. A fault in a digital source file I could understand, or a fault in the A/D conversion process. And in any case, I (not being an expert) would imagine that it should be rather easy to filter it out regularly (as long as it's a really regular thing). I hope we'll get a fixed Night Crossing someday, it's one of my favourite Goldsmith scores, but I've barely played it since I got the recent release because I can't stand it on headphones.

Like I said, not an expert. I don’t know the reason why beyond it doesn’t seem like an error to me. The clicking here reminds me of the clicking there is all I mean. Just luckily it’s only confined to one short track here. I don’t think it is a big deal except that it’s disappointing the previous release is better on this one track. 

• 6 months later...

@John Takis says

It was my great pleasure to record commentary for the music-focused alternate audio track on Lionsgate's forthcoming Blu-ray release of EXTREME PREJUDICE, delving into Jerry Goldsmith's magnificent neo-western score! Thanks to Douglass Fake and Intrada Records, who hired me last year to write liner notes for their superb remastered 2CD set (still available from the label); to Michael Felsher for producing the Blu-ray feature; and to Daniel Schweiger for suggesting me for the gig. It's been a fun and very interesting experience!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Extreme-Prejudice-Blu-ray/287218/

• 1 year later...