John Murphy

thestat

Murphy is obviously getting a lot of heat due to his role in the Suicide Squad, but the dude has a great influential history of music that has, by now, changed the course of film history, at least twice. Sunshine, and 28 Days Later.

The man is a chameleon

Yes. John Murphy composed this massively game changing track. Not Hans-baby:

Murphy is great. Everything he's done for Boyle and Ritchie. But my favourite remains Mann's feature film version of MIAMI VICE.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

The score for Guardians 3 is the biggest disappointment since my son.

I'm confident he has better legs.

• 4 weeks later...

Nonsense. In my opinion, the score for Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is better, than Bates music. I especially like the work with choir, which is assumes almost operatic proportions at times. Definitely, this choir is one of the best among Comicbook films soundtracks, and not only that. High Evolutionary theme is one of the best supervillain themes that was created for Marvel films (my No. 1 is Thanos theme). I also like the work with orchestrations and development of themes.
Murphy done a great job and I love his Guardians score more, than the music for Suicide Squad. To be honest, I never see Murphy as an orchestral composer (even with help from orchestrators), but his two (three if Guardians Holiday Special count) works for Comicbook movies have convinced me, and now I want to hear more of his orchestral side.

A little column A, a little column B…

I actually have no strong opinions on this score at all. Didn’t even notice in the film, but wasn’t particularly attached to the first two and so had no real expectations. I’m sure it’s fine.

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The original is a thousand times better. 

Yup, I'm not a HUGE Purcell fan or anything, but trailer-izing his composition doesn't make it better IMO. And it's both sad and hilarious how many comments I've seen from film music fans who think Murphy penned "Dido's Lament" (one of the most famous and beloved arias in all of opera) himself.

Yavar

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Screw superhero stuff! You guys need to check out Murphy's SUNSHINE, LES MISERABLES and MIAMI VICE. That's brilliance right there.

SUNSHINE is my favorite Murphy score that I've heard.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's only one great Les Mis.

Yup. Poledouris's. ;) (my favorite work of his)

Also a fan of several other Les Mis film scores of course (from North to Magne)... and the musical has a lot of good parts.

Yavar

I will have to try out the John Murphy score for Les Mis (couldn't work out which one it was but realise it was the pretty decent BBC adaptation from a few years ago). If you all want a good reason to hate on the musical, I had dinner with Claude-Michel Schönberg when he came to Guernsey (I know, name dropper), and he was super unimpressed that I liked JW... then again, he's had about 1 and a half hit shows and JW has written how many famous scores?! But I digress...

24 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I will have to try out the John Murphy score for Les Mis (couldn't work out which one it was but realise it was the pretty decent BBC adaptation from a few years ago). If you all want a good reason to hate on the musical, I had dinner with Claude-Michel Schönberg when he came to Guernsey (I know, name dropper), and he was super unimpressed that I liked JW... then again, he's had about 1 and a half hit shows and JW has written how many famous scores?! But I digress...

I hope you threw food on him.

I mean, I love Poledouris' LES MIS, as well as the original musical, but I absolutely adored Murphy's contemproary spin on the proceedings in his adaptation (which I haven't seen).

Did Schönberg ever meet with Lloyd Webber? How do they feel about each other?

On 02/06/2023 at 7:28 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

You mean like this cue?

Pretty good reason for that, lol...

I'm not a Murphy hater by any means, but I really missed Tyler Bates on this score to be honest. The 2-3 brief times his theme was played were blink-and-you'll-miss-them in the film just like Giacchino's Doctor Strange theme was in Doctor Strange 2. And I honestly really liked that theme. Plus Bates did some other really cool cues like "Spores" in the first two films, lending some real emotional heft which I felt was lacking in the latest film's music, even though I still enjoyed the film.

Yavar

Nope, not that :D Though this is the obvious variant, when people mention the operatic material of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, but I had to be more specific. I mean not opera by itself, but by the feels, that I have, when I listen it - grandeur, sublimity, power etc. All of this kind of feels, I get during the listening (and especially in cinema) of tracks like "Did That Look Cool" or "Mantis and the Abelisk". I always like, when choir put to the fore in soundtracks and used not just as background sound.

Yes, I remember, that Tyler Bates did similar things in 2nd Guardians film (not a fan of his music for 1st film at all, so don't remember much), but that didn't bring the same feelings, as I describe above. Murphy managed with it and that's one of the reasons, why I love his music for the 3rd Guardians film, more than Bates music.

On 02/06/2023 at 8:13 PM, Thor said:

Screw superhero stuff! You guys need to check out Murphy's SUNSHINE, LES MISERABLES and MIAMI VICE. That's brilliance right there.

I know, right? I absolutely love his themes (and soundtracks) for "28 Days Later" and "Sunshine". It's one of those compositions, that not bored me even after many listens. I also had listened his music for "Les Miserables" (very interesting view on music for this work), "Miami Vice", (also some great demos from this film, which were on his website, but now are unavailable due to the remove of Flash-player), "Last House on the Left" and "Basic Instinct 2". I have a lot of different emotions about all this works, but I definitely like it all.

On 02/06/2023 at 12:36 AM, A. A. Ron said:

I actually have no strong opinions on this score at all.

Just like your son...

On 02/06/2023 at 7:16 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Never mind that! Why do you hate your kid?!

He wanted a girl.

“The biggest disappointment since my son” is just what the Red Letter Media guy called one or more of the Star Wars movies upon release. At least, that’s what I’m telling my son.

On 2/6/2023 at 9:28 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

You mean like this cue?

Pretty good reason for that, lol...

I'm not a Murphy hater by any means, but I really missed Tyler Bates on this score to be honest. The 2-3 brief times his theme was played were blink-and-you'll-miss-them in the film just like Giacchino's Doctor Strange theme was in Doctor Strange 2. And I honestly really liked that theme. Plus Bates did some other really cool cues like "Spores" in the first two films, lending some real emotional heft which I felt was lacking in the latest film's music, even though I still enjoyed the film.

Yavar

Brotha that’s just one cue. The other choir cues on the score are all original pieces. The theme for the High Evolutionary is IMO one of the best themes to ever come out of the MCU. It’s angelic. I thought Murphy did an awesome job with the score.