Marco Beltrami's Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

Giftheck

Logan and Fantastic Four composer Marco Beltrami will provide the score for Andy Serkis’ Venom: Let There Be Carnage.

The upcoming Venom sequel was initially slated to hit theaters back in October before Sony moved the film back to this summer because of COVID-19. Now, Venom: Let There Be Carnage is moving forward in production with Film Music Reporter revealing that Marco Beltrami will be taking over composing duties from The Mandalorian‘s Ludwig Göransson for the sequel.

Source

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't care for Gorannsson's Venom, and I don't think Beltrami's score for the sequel (which of course he is going to write with an army of additional composers and orchestrators) will be that much better. But maybe he (and his team) surprise me.

Beltrami's batting average with capeshit is fairly solid, as The Wolverine is the only one I'm generally iffy on despite still having its qualities. Logan in particular I feel is greatly underrated, so I'd be curious in what this project offers.

I haven't fully heard Goransson's Venom, and the opening tracks weren't compelling, but I still stand by this track as being an absolute banger:

I found the first score to be utterly uninteresting despite its composer, but maybe Beltrami will get a better chance here. Does anyone know anything about Serkis’ collaborative process with the guy who composed his last few movies (Nitin Sawhney, I believe)?

Great news! Maybe I'm gonna watch this movie after all. I absolutely hate Göransson score for the first one, it was interesting and just too loud and noisy.

Not sure though that Beltrami will make something good either but it can't really being worst.

• 2 months later...

Two titles will be released this friday:

Venom and Blues (2:33)

This one sounds pretty good, really far from the atrocious first score

and Carnage Unleashed (2:04)

This other one is still not quite good, a bit flavourless

No, the opposite.  I can't see them either.  He's in Australia, where it's already Friday.  It's still Thursday for you and I

I haven't bothered with the full album, since the opening cues really sounded like nothing, but it frankly surprises me when no one has anything to say about this particular track. What's so "bad" about it?

That one's fun!  But the album is a slog and a half.

You'll find a split even among the negative opinions on the score.  There are those who just despise the modern post-RCP synthetic style as a rule and there are those (like me) who think Ludwig is a good, original voice working in that modern style but that Venom was a misstep.

It's not going to win any award for "Best Original Score", but it's very enjoyable. Nice blend of orchestra and rock band. If you liked Beltrami's action scores before (I, Robot, the Die Hard sequels, Gods of Egypt) you're probably going to like this as well. Sure, there are some RC-isms, but this is par for the course for big budget comic book movies these days.