Movie trailers/teasers and e.t.c. which were scored by big name composers

mxsch

The first Harry Potter, the seventh Star Wars, and Hook all had original music by John Williams

Most The Dark Knight trilogy had original trailer music by Hans Zimmer & co. (one of the Batman v Superman trailers also had original music by Tom Holkenborg).

If I recall correctly, TENET had some original music by Ludwig Göransson that was recorded pre-COVID. I believe they ended up tracking some of those recordings into the final score too. 

A few Burton/Elfman collaborations - Mars Attacks, Edward Scissorhands - had original trailer music too, written by Elfman himself.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples like this. Those are the first that come to mind.

1 hour ago, PuerAzaelis said:

Anyone know who was responsible for this I thought it was kinda epic ...

Generic trailer music. But pretty good, thanks to Williams motifs

Horner did unused trailer music for Casper, did partially used music for Titanic, both on their expanded LLL releases.  He also wrote unused trailer music for Cocoon, but I don’t know if it was recorded. 

Jerry Goldsmith for Rambo: First Blood Part.II

The trailer from Lincoln, Superman: The Movie and War Horse contain John Williams music (don't if it was composed by him for the trailer though)

You also have Steve Jablonsky whose music is often used in trailer like in The Amazing Spider-Man or Avatar

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Is this not just an edit of film cues? As per the rerecording, this is the one Korngold composed:

But for all I know he could have done both.

I prefer The Sea Hawk one over this one, great main theme renditions:

4 hours ago, PuerAzaelis said:

Anyone know who was responsible for this I thought it was kinda epic ...

According to the description, the huge statement at the end is by this guy, who "released" it in a sampler (below), but there are quite a few very realistic recreations on YouTube.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Is this not just an edit of film cues? As per the rerecording, this is the one Korngold composed:

Possibly. I wondered, because at one or two points, the music seemed edited. I didn't have the original cue memorised though, and the ending didn't seem to be taken from the actual score, so I figured it must be the correct trailer.

The aforementioned JUDGE DREDD by Goldsmith is one of the few I can think of, where a big name composer scored the trailer, but not the eventual film (yes, I know he was slated to score it).

• 2 months later...

Great topic!

I remember in the 90's / early 2000's most of trailers used music from other movies, like Randy Edelman's scores from Come see the paradise, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and Dragonheart featured prominently  in a lot of them, or Bishop's countdown from Aliens, a champ on action movies trailers.

These days I don't watch a lot of trailers, not a spoiler fan, but my perception is that they use much more original music made specially for the previews. Is there's some cue or score used a lot in trailers these days?

And a great original trailer music is Jerry Goldsmith's Extreme Prejudice. 

According to the booklet of the Deluxe Edition of the Aliens score "Bishop's Countdown" has been used on several trailers in the 90s. 

Even though the end of the action part from 01:08 sounds rather like the music from a film from 1977 where some big globe space station explodes because some guy put a torpedo into space ventilation shaft (whatever they were ventilating there in space).