At which of your cinema visits the overture of the movie was played before the film?

GerateWohl

Here in Germany's cinemas it is not very common to play the movie's overture before the movie. First time I experienced that was The Black Hole and I loved it.

And there was a second movie that I don't remember.

Of course I have DVDs that play the overture before the film like Lawrence of Arabia, Greystoke or West Side Story.

But I find that doesn't happen often enough.

Ok. Modern films don't have overtures anyway.

I saw Ben Hur in a rerelease and it had the overture. Hell when I watch it i play the overture and entr'acte.

When Star Trek the Motion Picture premiered the theatre staff told us the Overture was about to play. The audience was in heaven.

I forgot John's overture for the Cowboys. Now that I think about it there was one for Dr.Zhivago and Sound of Music. 

Yes, it doesn't happen too often. As I mentioned The Black Hole. I watched the movie in cinema about three times in different theatres and only once the overture was played before. The Last movie I realized that has an overture is BFG and I guess hardly any cinema plays it. But it is always a great thing when it happens.

A lot of golden age scores have an overture. In my opinion almost bad manners to skip it.

Yes, the Roadshow version of Hateful Eight. At the same theatre, I saw a 70mm presentation of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but they had sound issues that took a long time to fix. Eventually they got the sound working after the first reel (?), but there was no way to rewind the film, so the main title and much of the Dawn of Man sequence was silent. I don't recall, but I imagine if there *was* an overture, nobody even noticed.