Next ‘Star Trek’ Film To Be Directed By Matt Shakman

Jay

I mean, Shakman likely only left because Disney offered him more money, or more creative control or whatever, to direct Fantastic Four for them after Jon Watts walked away from that

I'm there for Chris Pine as Kirk. That's pretty much it. (I like Gia's Star Trek. But then I like Rosenman's Star Trek.)

Between Strange New Worlds and Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition I have gotten my Star Trek and JJ isn't it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Rings of Power's writers explained what the plot would've been for the fourth film:

“We worked on a couple of ‘Star Trek’ movies. The one you’re asking about would have been the fourth in the franchise, reuniting Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pine,” McKay said. “The conceit was that through a cosmic quirk in the ‘Star Trek’ world, they were the same age. It was going to be a grand father-son space adventure — think ‘Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade’ in space. We were really thrilled about it.”

The writers added that the plot, which was inspired by “2001: A Space Odyssey,” would also have pulled an idea from one of their favorite “Star Trek” television episodes.

“There’s an episode of ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ called ‘Relics’ where they find Scotty, whose been trapped a transporter for a couple of decades, and they’re able to have a cool adventure with him,” Payne said. “Our conceit was, ‘What if right before the Kelvin impacted with that huge mining ship, George Kirk had tried to beam himself over to his wife’s shuttle where his son, Jim Kirk, had just been born? And what if the ship hadn’t completely exploded—what if it left some space junk?’”

That glitch in the timeline would have resulted in Hemsworth’s George Kirk being trapped mid-teleportation, creating an opportunity for him to reunite with his son.

“Think about when you send a text message and you’ve typed it out, but you haven’t quite hit send,” Payne said. “On the other side, they see those three little dots that someone has typed. It’s like the transporter had absorbed his pattern up into the pattern buffer, but hadn’t spit him out on the other side. It was actually a saved copy of him that was in the computer.”

While they worked on the project for several years, it unfortunately looks like the dream of reuniting Pine and Hemsworth on screen won’t be coming true anytime soon.

“The movie eventually fell apart and it really was a heartbreak for us,” Payne said. “We would have loved to make that movie.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/10/star-trek-writers-on-unmade-chris-pine-sequel-1234772917/

Ah, so that was their idea. Interesting idea, but only because it's already been done in TNG.

Just a small problem with it: we see George getting thrown from the chair as the Kelvin impacts against the Narada. They'd have to explain their way out of that.