What Is The Best Film Score Of 2007

Bespin

Best film score of 2007  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best film score of 2007 among this list?

• Atonement (Dario Marianelli)
    • Enchanted (Alan Menken)
    • The Bourne Ultimatum (John Powell)
    • The Golden Compass (Alexandre Desplat)
    • Zodiac (David Shire)
    • Ratatouille (Michael Giacchino)
    • There Will Be Blood (Jonny Greenwood)
    • Once (Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova)

What is according to you, the best film score of 2007 among this list?

The scores of this list won an award for "Best Score", as voted by either one or more of these organizations:

• The International Film Music Critics Association Award
  • The Online Film Critics Society Award
  • The Los Angeles Film Critics Association

Let's discuss these choices made by Critics!

I mean, the best score of 2007 is Chrostpher Young's Spider-man 3 AINEC.  Your metrics are baffling

Other good 2007 scores not on your list

Perfume by Heil/Klimek/Tykwer

Stardust by Ilan Eshkeri

3:10 to Yuma by Marco Belatrami

Medal of Honor: Airborne by Michael Giacchino

LOST Season 3 by Michael Giacchino

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean, the best score of 2007 is Chrostpher Young's Spider-man 3 AINEC.  Your metrics are baffling

Open your mind Jay!!! ;)

I've heard all these scores, my mind is open

I don't rely on critics to tell me what scores to listen to, I listen to everything for free on Spotify and make up my own mind

Out of the scores on your poll, I like Ratatouille the most, and The Golden Compass and The Bourne Ultimatum are good too.

But Spider-man 3 blows them all out of the water!

Medal of Honor Airborne is potentially the best MOH score

and Perfume is one of the coolest one hit wonder scores out there

Nothing about Atonement, Enchanted, Zodiac, There Will Be Blood, or Once made me want to listen to them again

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

and Perfume is one of the coolest one hit wonder scores out there

I've only heard it in the film and never got around to checking it out on album (I still intend to)… but there's also Cloud Atlas, so they're only a one hit wonder if Perfume is no good.

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've only heard it in the film and never got around to checking it out on album (I still intend to)… but there's also Cloud Atlas, so they're only a one hit wonder if Perfume is no good.

Oh right, I did listen to Cloud Atlas once and liked it, I forgot.  I need to re-listen to that one

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've heard all these scores, my mind is open

I don't rely on critics to tell me what scores to listen to, I listen to everything for free on Spotify and make up my own mind.

Imagine the AFI hires you as a judge to vote for the best 2007 score, you don't change your choice?

You really stick with Spider-Man 3?

Spidey 3 and I Am Legend.

I heard a bit of There WIll Be Blood the other week when I watched a few bits of the film, but while there's one cue I like (somewhere where they first arrive in the middle of nowhere), most of that score falls too much into the experimental/abstract for me, and sometimes becomes distracting for me.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Imagine the AFI hires you as a judge to vote for the best 2007 score, you don't change your choice?

You really stick with Spider-Man 3?

Absolutely I do

Ratatouille is the only score I’ve heard, so easy vote.  Did Once even have a score to speak of? If we’re counting songs, that one would have won for me.

Granted, I’ve only heard the Spider-man 3 score once (in theaters), but my only memory of it was thinking that they mangled Elfman’s theme in the main credits.

My favourite of 2007 is EL GRECO (Vangelis), closely followed by TRANSFORMERS (Steve Jablonsky).

Of the options in the voll, I voted for THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM.

For the moment, the only score I know in this list, is Atonement, which I like very much.

There Will Be Blood (Jonny Greenwood) is on my wishlist... we'll see...

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

You need more Giacchino and Powell in your life

Probably!

I must admit I have more interest in discovering John Powell than Giacchino for my next "quest".

Wow, didn't think I'd see this high a praise for Spidey 3 from some, given I would've expected some other score to be considered more technically proficient.

The mid/late 2000s were definite formative years in terms of my tastes in film music, with 07 having 3 that has always stuck with me (TMNT, Bayformers, SM3). Given how much I've raved about it, I suppose Chris Young was always gonna be my pick of the year for what arguably is his biggest movie.

Based on what's actually here though, I have to go with Ratatouille on the basis it's the only one that I've heard of this lot. I'm quite slow when it comes to new music, so perhaps one day I can more properly think about it.

Spider-Man 3 is an amazing score that perhaps only doesn't get a lot of notice because there's no legal way to listen to it

I thought the score album release was canceled due to a dispute between Sony and Elfman over the use of his themes in the score

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell without a real concrete explanation for its lack of release, may it be for Elfman interference, too much (then) unused material being on the "album" promo assembly (plus how to handle the additional material from others), an alleged lack of interest/low sales, and whatever else I've seen be mentioned elsewhere.

I think it'd be fun if one day the specialty labels gets to release his album program, then like 2 years later a comprehensive 2CD complete edition

• 10 months later...
On 19/07/2021 at 9:53 AM, Thor said:

My favourite of 2007 is EL GRECO (Vangelis), closely followed by TRANSFORMERS (Steve Jablonsky).

Of the options in the voll, I voted for THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM.

I forgot about TRANSFORMERS.

My favorite of those mentioned.

Good call, Thor!