MONDO Announces SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE OST (Vinyl) Release !

Amer

Coming from Mondo! Superman: The Movie soundtrack on vinyl, which will be released on Friday, July 23, at 11AM Central Time, and will cost $35. It will be available in a splattered, limited edition of 1978 and a non-limited black edition. There’s all-new artwork by DKNG and, of course, John Williams’ unforgettable score. https://mondoshop.com/pages/comic-con

Information and pics courtesy Jim Bowers.

Superman.jpg

Superman 1.jpg

Superman 2.jpg

Superman3.jpg

1 hour ago, Holko said:

That Daily Planet insert... A Score Takes Flight. So it has some version of Mike's notes. Must be the new master on LLL D3 then.

Would be cool to see more partnerships between Mondo and the labels. Maybe we'll end up having day and date releases of CD expansions with vinyls, someday.

On 22/07/2021 at 2:00 AM, crumbs said:

A bit surprised LLL didn't look at doing this first. 

On 22/07/2021 at 3:11 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure they looked at it.

...and got smart by passing on this.

MV said this:

Vinyl is waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive to produce than a CD. A total waste of money imo. So little profit to be made

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=4&threadID=143595&archive=0

4 hours ago, Holko said:

That Daily Planet insert... A Score Takes Flight. So it has some version of Mike's notes. Must be the new master on LLL D3 then.

Not necessarily.  Mondo could use the 1978 WB Records album master and keep the production cost low.  If they use the LLL master, they would have to pay an extra licensing fee to LLL for the use.

I don’t think that’s the case, right?  LLL wouldn’t be part of the cash flow on a project like this, even if their remastering work is used.

Also, came into the thread expecting to see something ugly and was not disappointed.

Yeah I'm not sure that's the case either.

I doubt a label can claim ownership over a set of music transfers, or the finished high-resolution master that goes back to the studio once a release is complete.

The studio would retain complete ownership of the music; the labels just receive a license to release it on a physical format.

On 22/07/2021 at 8:24 AM, SyncMan said:

Not necessarily.  Mondo could use the 1978 WB Records album master and keep the production cost low.  If they use the LLL master, they would have to pay an extra licensing fee to LLL for the use.

They would not have to pay LLL.  Warner Brothers (the film studio - WBP) owns the music.  Warner Brothers (the music label - WMG) owns the mechanical rights to release music from the score for commercial sale.

When a deal is struck for a specialty label to release an album of music for the score, like LLL's 40th anniversary edition, all they truly "get" from the deal is the license to make that happen (and the revenue from the sales).  The new masters Mike made (in high res, even though he knew LLL could only sell it as 16/44.1 redbook CDs) get sent back to WBP and WMG.  WBP now has the entire score in high-res using Mike's new mix they can do whatever they want with (IE, stick it in a commercial, remaster the sound for a blu ray of the film, etc).  And WMG has his album master, which they can use for any new edition of the OST album they want to sell themselves (IE, in a digital store, even in high res if they want to) or license to another label to issue a product for, such as this Mondo vinyl.

On 22/07/2021 at 8:54 AM, mstrox said:

I don’t think that’s the case, right?  LLL wouldn’t be part of the cash flow on a project like this, even if their remastering work is used.

Yep.

Also, came into the thread expecting to see something ugly and was not disappointed.

lol

Hmmm, that's a great question I don't know the answer to.

My guess is that nobody owns them, but if Mondo wants to use them they pay Mike directly?

In any case, the LLL notes are just a shortened version of the FSM notes, in this case

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Semi-serious question: who owns Mike's "exclusive liner notes" he wrote for the LLL? Did they have to license that?

That is an interesting question. Makes you wonder how Jim Titus' artwork works.

I guess it all becomes property of the studio, especially if it uses studio-owned imagery... intriguing.

The product page is up now

Superman: The Movie - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2XLP

$35
Superman: The Movie - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2XLP

Mondo is proud to continue its on-going celebration of the DC film universe, with an all-new limited edition pressing of one of the most iconic film soundtracks of all time: John Williams' legendary score for SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE.
Composer John Williams
Artist DKNG
Property

Superman

Details

PRODUCT INFORMATION
Liner notes Michael Matessino
The marketing for SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE cleverly described itself as a film that would make you "believe a man could fly," but no one involved in the film could be prepared for how that newfound belief would change the world forever. Now, nearly 43 years later, the superhero film industry shows no signs of slowing, but very few have achieved the visual and sonic miracle that the late Richard Donner and the inimitable John Williams were able to do with their epic origin story.
Featuring all new artwork by DKNG, Produced by, and featuring extensive liner notes by Michael Matessino, and pressed on 2x 180 gram splatter vinyl, limited to 1,978 copies (also available on 2x 180 gram black vinyl).

TRACKLIST

Side One
1. Theme from Superman (Main Title) (4:24)
2. The Planet Krypton (4:45)
3. Destruction of Krypton (5:58)
4. The Trip To Earth (2:23)
5. Growing Up (1:52)

Side Two
1. Love Theme from Superman (5:00)
2. Leaving Home (4:45)
3. The Fortress of Solitude (8:29)

Side Three
1. The Flying Sequence & Can You Read My Mind (8:08)
2. Super Rescues (3:24)
3. Lex Luthor's Lair (2:33)
4. Superfeats (5:00)

Side Four
1. The March of The Villains (3:33)
2. Chasing Rockets (7:33)
3. Turning Back the World (2:01)
4. End Title (6:24)

https://mondoshop.com/products/superman-the-movie-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp

It's already sold out

I feel like a good portion of Mondo purchases are strictly by those who will put these on the secondary market once the item sells out.  

• 3 months later...
On 22/07/2021 at 2:03 AM, Ollie said:

Too much music missing. I was never happy with the original LP.

Back in December, 1978 (which was when I bought it), it's all we had.

I saw the film before I bought the album, and I remember being disappointed by the exclusion of The Helicopter Sequence, and To Lex Luther's Lair (or whatever it's called).

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To Lex Luther's Lair (or whatever it's called).

That's New 12M1    To The Lair, which was renamed to "Sonic Greeting" on the Rhino, but kept as "To the Lair" for the FSM and LLL

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SkAOjZN-WOO03rsafaw4nOo2rFALx7E0DVj5-ky7Zmw/

• 1 year later...