Danny Elfman's SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999) - 2021 4-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

Hell yes!

No real knowledge of this score outside of loving it in the film. What could be on the 4 discs? Is there that much material?

Love that cover!

Woah! :drool:

How do you fill four CDs with this? I guess maybe one of them is the OST?

Hopefully this has all film mixes (not edits), particularly the main titles/walking through village sequence, which is different in the film to the box and the leaks.

It's gotta the same structure of their 4CD Robin Hood

complete score spread across 2 discs, a disc of alternates, and the OST album

GREAT cover art!  SOOO much better than the OST album's cover

Danny Elfman - Sleepy Hollow: Music from the Motion Picture - Amazon.com  Music

Can't wait to see the track list!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

and the OST album

It must be 100% redundant though, right? I guess if they keep the price low, no problem, but I still think it's pointless.

I'm so happy to finally see this, as I really got the impression that most people seemed to be satisfied with what was in the E/B box, and LLL didn't do it when they were doing some Elfman expansions years ago.

Wow! I can't imagine how you could fill 4 CDs for this score but I'm excited to see the tracklist. It's an incredible score, one of my favourites of the 90s.

I assumed this was essentially complete already, between the OST and Elfman box? Is there really an entire CD worth of alternates for this one score?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

It must be 100% redundant though, right? I guess if they keep the price low, no problem, but I still think it's pointless.

If I am not mistaken every Elfman expansion post-Scissorhands includes the OST album, and includes the OST album as the first disc, so I expect the same will be true here and disc 1 will be the OST album.

Also, if Intrada charges the same price for this as they would a 3CD set, then I can't see how anyone can complain that the OST album is included.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I assumed this was essentially complete already, between the OST and Elfman box?

Nope, not even remotely close to complete between those two sources

Is there really an entire CD worth of alternates for this one score?

Absolutely, the session leak was only partial and had 61 tracks including multiple takes of cues

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nope, not even remotely close to complete between those two sources

Interesting... I've only seen the film 2-3 times but didn't remember any standout cues that weren't on the OST. I recall wanting the arrival at the village cue, which from memory was in the E/B box.

Is there a spreadsheet somewhere?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Absolutely, the session leak was only partial and had 61 tracks including multiple takes of cues

Had no idea there was a session leak either! This sounds very juicy...

Most are on the more subtle side, but they're not just diferent takes of the same cue, there are differences.

This is in my top 5 scores (first I ever bought on CD) and I won't need most of the alternates. I've simply wanted this for the genuinely complete score.

I forgot Dolores Claiborne didn't include the OST album

1. 2009-05-19 Mars Attacks! (LLL) - does not include OST album directly, but all the same score tracks are there (in a different order)
  2. 2010-07-21 Batman (LLL) - includes OST album {Disc 2}
  3. 2010-11-30 Batman Returns (LLL) - does not include OST album
  4. 2011-11-29 Scrooged (LLL) - there was no OST album
  5. 2012-02-15 Planet of the Apes (LLL) - includes OST album {Disc 3}
  6. 2013-10-07 Black Beauty (LLL) - does not include OST album
  7. 2014-03-03 Good Will Hunting (MBR) - there was no OST album
  8. 2014-11-02 Big Top Pee-wee (LLL) - does not include OST album
  9. 2015-12-08 Edward Scissorhands (Intrada) - does not include OST album
  10. 2016-11-25 Dick Tracy (Intrada) - includes OST album {Disc 1}
  11. 2019-09-13 Mission: Impossible (LLL) - includes OST album {Disc 1}
  12. 2020-01-31 Darkman (LLL) - includes OST album {Disc 1}
  13. 2020-12-04 Dolores Claiborne (Varese) - does not include OST album
  14. 2021-07-27 Sleepy Hollow (Intrada) - ???

BTW, in terms of Elfman/Burton collaborations now, it goes

1. Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985) - Varese OST is a re-recording / 2010 E/B Box is the complete film tracks (at least I think it's complete?)
  2. Beetlejuice (1988) - 2010 E/B Box is definitely not complete
  3. Batman (1989) - 2010 LLL & 2010 E/B Box & 2014 LLL are all incomplete / 2018 Mondo is complete (but without alternates from prior releases)
  4. Edward Scissorhands (1990) - 2015 Intrada is complete (I believe?)
  5. Batman Returns (1992) - 2010 LLL is complete
  6. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - 2010 E/B Box is complete (actually I think it's missing one very short cue?)
  7. Mars Attacks! (1996) - 2009 LLL & 2010 E/B Box are both incomplete
  8. Sleepy Hollow (1999) - 2021 Intrada is presumably complete
  9. Planet of the Apes (2001) - 2012 LLL is complete (I believe?)
  10. Big Fish (2003) - 2010 E/B Box is probably not complete?
  11. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) - 2010 E/B Box is probably not complete?
  12. Corpse Bride (2005) - 2010 E/B Box is probably not complete?
  13. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - 2010 E/B Box is definitely not complete
  14. Dark Shadows (2012) - no expansions available
  15. Frankenweenie (2012) - no expansions available 
  16. Big Eyes (2014) - no expansions available
  17. Dumbo (2019) - no expansions available

With Sleepy Hollow now filled in, only Beetlejuice and Mars Attacks! remain to be expanded by the specialty labels to complete form, as least as far as the first half of their collaboration goes.  Plus, Nightmare Before Christmas really needs to be available outside of the long OOP box, and Batman could be redone with all material currently spread across 4 releases all in one package.

The album tracks differ from the film versions so it makes sense. Really excited about this. It will probably be as comprehensive as these things go. 

I actually had a feeling it will be this one. :)

Karol

So the Williams release is the last of the three Roger announced!

Not familiar at all with Sleepy Hollow (both movie and score). I guess it is time to take a listen to the OST!

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

So the Williams release is the last of the three Roger announced!

I don't understand what this means.  We don't have a clue what order the Williams, Poledouris, and Zimmer will be announced in

Not familiar at all with Sleepy Hollow (both movie and score). I guess it is time to take a listen to the OST!

The movie is kind of goofy fun.  Nothing important to the world of film or their collaboration, but a nice enough watch with a good cast

The score is pretty cool.  Gothic, evocative, and at times over the top (in a good way).  For me personally, I only really listen to it around Halloween time

It was my very first CD soundtrack purchase (prior to that was just a collection of mp3s, so we're going back properly early).

I have very few full Elfman albums actually - A Simple Plan being the only other one coming to mind.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't understand what this means. 

We don't have a clue what order the Williams, Poledouris, and Zimmer will be announced in (technically, we don't even know if its John Williams or Paul Williams or Harry Gregson Williams)

Referring to what Roger said on July 6:

Coming up in the next few weeks...

More music by Jerry Goldsmith plus new John Williams and Danny Elfman albums.

That kinda implies their next 3 releases would be Goldsmith, JW and Danny Elfman.

We got Extreme Prejudice by Goldsmith and now Sleepy Hollow by Elfman. The JW one must be the next then?

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

That kinda implies their next 3 releases would be Goldsmith, JW and Danny Elfman.

We got Extreme Prejudice by Goldsmith and now Sleepy Hollow by Elfman. The JW one must be the next then?

Ooooh exciting! I'm ready for some new JW :lovethis:

Feels like it's been a while since we had a beefy new JW expansion to tide us over (in the vein of A.I., HP or Superman). I wonder if there's any 3CD JW expansions on the horizon, or if every score remaining would fit on 2CDs.

Hmmm, good question!

Most scores that come to mind would fit on 2CDs.... except for the Star Wars sequel Trilogy, which would probably all need 3CDs

Even though Tintin had most of its original score replaced by rewrites, I still think it's probably short enough to fit on 2 discs.... not positive though

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Most scores that come to mind would fit on 2CDs.... except for the Star Wars sequel Trilogy, which would probably all need 3CDs

I feel like ROTJ would need 3 discs minimum too, given all the '97 changes.

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I feel like ROTJ would need 3 discs minimum too, given all the '97 changes.

Two changes. Or am I forgetting more?

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Batman could be redone with all material currently spread across 4 releases all in one package.

What, the current release of Batman is not definitive?

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

Holy shit baby Jesus

Fixed.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What, the current release of Batman is not definitive?

Nah, there's cues that weren't included on the latest LLL release (but were included on some vinyl release another label did).

And also some mixing differences for various cues between previous releases.

The 2010 LLL was made with all they could find at the time, which was the album master, the film's music stem, and I think a few things from some other (later generation) source.  A couple things ended up with the wrong names on them, like the film cue "The Truth" accidentally being called "Joker's Muzak" and shuffled off to disc 2.

Then, the 2010 E/B box had some of that same music now in better quality, plus a longer version of "Joker Flies To Gotham" which had been shortened considerable on the 2010 LLL.  It also had 9 "worktape" demo tracks we never would have heard if not for the box (plus the new music box track made directly for the box, if you count that)

Then, when working on volume 2 of the Animated Series releases in 2012, LLL found a recording of the original demo made for Tim Burton and the producers of the '89 film to approve Danny's theme for the score, played on solo piano by Shirley Walker.  It was included as an Easter Egg on that set (even though it was made for the original film and not the show)

Then, Neil finally found the proper, first gen master of the score, including cues that Burton had dropped from the final theatrical release (so weren't on the music stem used for the 2010 naturally).  That was the primary source of the two Batman discs in the 2014 Danny Elfman Batman Collection.  However, due to some stupid legal thing, he couldn't start over and design a new program from the ground up using this new source; Instead he had to release an "rebuild" of their 2010 program; All the exact same track titles on both discs, containing the same content as before, just now taken from this new, proper, good sounding source whenever possible.  A little bit extra snuck in there, like now "Joker Flies To Gotham" was even longer than the E/B box version... but those cues he found on the source that weren't in the film couldn't actually be included here because of the stupid stipulation!

Then, in 2018 Mondo got vinyl rights to release the score in expanded form, and somehow this time Neil was able to design a new main program from scratch and not be stuck with the 2010 program.  In addition to including the previously unreleased and unused cues ("Board Meeting" and "Vicki Hides The Film"), he made other choices when building this main program, like no longer crossfading "Batwing II" and "Batwing III" together (and therefore debuting the full ending of Batwing II and the full opening of Batwing III), and other little changes like that.  Oh, and "The Truth" is now under its proper name and chronological placement in the main program.  However, this Mondo edition was only the main program from main title to end title, no bonus tracks (and, it sold out in 20 minutes!)

So, a proper, definitive edition would have:

1. The full complete main program containing every cue recorded, currently only available on the OOP Mondo vinyl
  2. All the alternates, different mixes, and other bonus tracks currently only available on the 2010/2014 editions
  3. The worktape demos and music box track currently only available in the E/B box
  4. The Shirley Walker piano demo currently only available on the BTAS Vol 2 set

Additionally, there could be additional material Neil found on that proper element that couldn't be included on the Mondo set (because it had no bonus tracks), potentially... I have no idea.  The sheet music (released officially by Omni) lists some stuff, like a cue called "Morning After" and one called "... Or Their Sons", plus there are supposedly alts for "Stair Kiss" and "Batwing I", etc.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

So, a proper, definitive edition would have:

1. The full complete main program containing every cue recorded, currently only available on the OOP Mondo vinyl
  2. All the alternates, different mixes, and other bonus tracks from the 2010/2014 editions
  3. The worktape demos and music box track from the E/B box
  4. The Shirley Walker piano demo from the BTAS Vol 2 set

5. The OST!

The SLEEPY HOLLOW score took some time to grow on me. It was all very intense and dense. But there was a lot of buzz about it at the time, and particularly the huge size of the orchestra. I've since come to really enjoy the gypsye-like energy of it, even though I have to be in a particular mood to play it. The film is great, Burton at his most burlesque self. I have no comment on this new release, I'm pleased with the already generous OST.