Danny Elfman's SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999) - 2021 4-CD Expanded Edition from Intrada Records

Jay

Can't wait for this. 80's-90's Elfman is terrific and Sleeping Hollow is a favorite, although I too have to be in a particular mood. When I am though, it's perfect.

It's terrific. I saw a marching band perform a suite from this once and that was a wonderful surprise.

I can't wait for this release. Two discs of score, a disc of alternates and the OST! That's exactly how to do a complete release. I wasn't too fond of Dick Tracy listing multiple versions of the same cue in a row with no direction as to which was used in film but with 4-discs I don't see that being the structure here.

I'd really like to see a three-disc Mars Attacks but I doubt that's coming this year. (or any year, since there's apparently not that much music. I love this score a lot.)

Bring on a complete release of Nightmare and we can have both Scary Pumpkin scores. Let's make it a Scary Pumpkin year

Marks Attacks doesn't need 3 discs, not even close.

The entire score fits on 1 disc, and the amount of alternates recorded are such that they could be added to the end of a OST presentation on a second disc and fit under 80 minutes.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Marks Attacks doesn't need 3 discs, not even close.

The entire score fits on 1 disc, and the amount of alternates recorded are such that they could be added to the end of a OST presentation on a second disc and fit under 80 minutes.

Nice. Put the OST presentation last so I can skip to the start and let it play. It'll end with the two songs and voila

3 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I can't wait for this release. Two discs of score, a disc of alternates and the OST! That's exactly how to do a complete release

Exactly what I thought when I first saw the topic name! You could expand this with the significant alternates using 2 discs, but an entire disc for alternates and the OST means it's basically impossible to omit anything. This is how you close the book on a score :)

My primary hope is that whatever alternates/pickups went on in the film for the ending of the main titles (the choir doesn't match any version released/leaked thus far), and the walk through the village (the ending fanfare has the same issue), are reflected properly.

I wonder if there are a bunch of scenes Elfman scored that either played with no score in the final cut or got cut entirely from the final film, so the main program will be longer than we can possibly know right now.

Because yea, revisiting the score, I forgot that the combined length of all the (non-alternates, just each cue) score that we know about is barely longer than 1 disc. 

If the combined running time of the new main program and the alternates program could have fit onto 2 discs but they elected to split it over 3, that'd be an interesting decision they made.

Heck, even with their 4CD Robin Hood, the total amount of music would have fit on 3 discs, they just would have had to have moved some of the alternates to be after the OST album instead of all together in the main alternates program to do so.  Since they only charged $35 for it though, it's not like they passed the cost of choosing to go with 4 CDs instead of 3 onto us or anything, and this way the people listening physically instead of as files have all the alternates all in one place which is nice. 

So maybe this is something along those lines.

This score is wonderful in any form. The soundtrack was very generous and served us well for years but the cues from the Elfman box proved that there was so much more interesting material to be found. I hope the first two discs are an 'ideal' presentation placing unused cues within the score proper. I wouldn't want to be without Young Ichabod and some of the Dream cues.

Listened to some OST tracks today and boy do I hope the remixer did a good job here, it's desperately needed.

YES! One of my favorite Elfman scores along with Mars Attacks (strange pick, I know, but I love how balls out he goes with the Hermannisms on there).

How can I get this/preorder this? This will be the first time I'm able to jump on a release of this nature.

Intrada doesn't do pre-orders; Tonight at a random time between 5pm EST and 9pm EST it will go live on their website for ordering.  This is also when the track list, samplse, samples, back cover art, Roger's write-up, and Doug's write-up all debut at once.

I thought those went up on Tuesdays. Do I only remember it that way because that time window's mostly on Tuesday already for me?

It could very well already be Tuesday where you live, sure.

My EST times above are correct.  So its between 2pm and 6pm in Intrada's own local PST time, which basically means once they've finished shipping for the day on Mondays, they put up the new "Tuesday" release, which doesn't actually start shipping until Tuesday when everyone's back in the office.

You can see this by looking at the date and timestamp of each of Roger's posts in this forum:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

In 2021, those posts (which go up when the order page does) have been as soon as 5:30pm and as late as 8:58pm (EST) all on Mondays

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

they put up the new "Tuesday" release, which doesn't actually start shipping until Tuesday when everyone's back in the office.

Ah, that's why then.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12307/.f

CD 1 Original 1999 Soundtrack Album
01. Introduction (4:16)
02. Main Titles (3:09)
03. Young Ichabod (1:20)
04. The Story… (4:29)
05. Masbath’s Terrible Death (1:35)
06. Sweet Dreams (1:11)
07. A Gift (2:26)
08. Into The Woods/The Witch (3:32)
09. More Dreams (1:42)
10. The Tree Of Death (9:36)
11. Bad Dream / Tender Moment (3:34)
12. Evil Eye (3:43)
13. The Church Battle (3:34)
14. Love Lost (5:16)
15. The Windmill (6:18)
16. The Chase (3:12)
17. The Final Confrontation (4:17)
18. A New Day! (1:29)
19. End Credits (3:18)
CD 1 Total Time: 68:00

CD 2 Sleepy Hollow – The Soundtrack
01. Introduction (Revised) (4:17)
02. A Place Called… (Version #2)/
      Main Titles (Revised) (5:52)
03. The Story... (Revised) (4:30)
04. Masbath’s Terrible
      Death (Revised) (1:35)
05. Murder (1:32)
06. Science At Work (2:27)
07. Young Masbath (2:05)
08. Autopsy/
      Phony Chase (Revised) (2:35)
09. Sweet Dreams (Revised #2) (1:10)
10. Family History (3:47)
11. Spying (Revised) (3:18)
12. Philipse’s Death (Alternate) (1:17)
13. Dream #2 (Revised) (1:41)
14. Into The Woods/
      The Witch (4:40)
15. Mystery Figure (Alternate) (1:12)
16. The Tree Of Death (Alternate) (10:20)
17. Katrina’s Brew (0:34)
18. Bad Dream/
      Tender Moment (Version #3) (3:32)
19. Trouble In Town (0:34)
20. The Will (Revised) (2:28)
21. Evil Eye (Revised) (3:43)
22. Lady Van T’s Hand (1:18)
23. The Church Battle (Alternate) (8:48)
CD 2 Total Time: 74:10

CD 3 Sleepy Hollow – The Soundtrack (Continued)
01. The Windmill (Revised) (7:41)
02. The Chase/The Final Confrontation (Version #3);
      A New Day! (Revised) (9:00)
03. End Credits (Revised)> (3:15)
CD 2 Soundtrack Time: 20:06
Total Soundtrack Time: 94:06
The Extras – Alternates
04. Introduction (Original) (3:50)
05. A Place Called… (Version #1) (1:33)
06. Main Titles (Original) (2:45)
07. Main Titles (Alternate) (2:22)
08. The Story… (Original) (4:27)
09. Ichabod’s Arrival (Alternate) (1:27)
10. Masbath’s Terrible Death (Original) (1:44)
11. Autopsy/Phony Chase (Original) (2:33)
12. Sweet Dreams (Original) (1:18)
13. Sweet Dreams (Alternate) (1:17)
14. Young Ichabod (Revised #1) (1:20)
15. Spying (Original) (3:26)
16. Philipse’s Death (Original) (1:17)
17. Mystery Figure (Original) (1:10)
Alternates Time: 31:00
CD 3 Total Time: 51:07

CD 4 The Extras – Alternates (Continued)
01. The Tree Of Death (Original) (10:23)
02. Bad Dream/
      Tender Moment (Original) (3:31)
03. Bad Dream/
      Tender Moment (Version #2) (3:31)
04. The Will (Original) (2:28)
05. Evil Eye (Original) (3:45)
06. The Church Battle (Original) (8:46)
07. Love Lost (Revised) (5:16)
08. The Windmill (Original) (7:08)
09. The Chase/The Final
      Confrontation (Version #1);
      A New Day! (Original) (9:05)
10. The Chase/The Final
      Confrontation (Version #2);
      A New Day! (Original) (9:04)
11. End Credits (Original) (3:10)
Alternates (Continued) Time: 66:34
Total Alternates Time: 97:34
CD 4 Total Time: 66:36

FYI: It looks like the album does not include the Themes Demo from the Elfman/Burton box.  That box also has “More Dreams (Alternate)” which I’m assuming will be track 12 or 13 of disc 3 based on the timing, but maybe isn’t on there.  With the big box OOP, I was hoping those worktapes and demos would find new homes.

I’m not the most familiar with the score in-film, but I wonder if Love Lost is included in Church Baytle on this set (all at the end of disc 2). The timing is about equivalent with the OST tracks added together.

edit beaten by disco stud 

I thought so but then I was confused because there is another Church Battle cue and then Love Lost right next to it? So Love Lost is on here four times including the OST presentation? I hope so. That would be a great way to end that disc. This release looks incredible.

Roger says:

INTRADA Announces:

ImageImage

SLEEPY HOLLOW
Music Composed by DANNY ELFMAN
ISC 464

Intrada brings a taste of Halloween to the world a few months early with this new, 4-CD set of Danny Elfman's dark, serious work for Tim Burton's 1999 adaptation of Washington Irving's Sleepy Hollow. Sleepy Hollow was familiar territory for Elfman: gothic, mythical, creepy, action-packed and romantic. The score features a prominent main theme for the horseman himself. Or is it for Ichabod Crane? Perhaps it's a theme that unifies Crane's childhood and the headless horesman. While the melody is as lyrical as anything Eflman has ever written, it resonates very differently in its various guises throughout the score, whether sung by a boy's choir or by the orchestra playing powerfully over a blasting pipe organ. It's a score that churns and moves in dark powerful currents, a storm of danger and dread.

The score in the film runs 95 minutes, from which Hollywood Records culled 68 minutes for its original album presentation. With the support of both Hollywood Records and Paramount Pictures, Intrada presents a 4-CD set of the score, including some rare finds. The first disc presents the original Hollywood Records program. Discs 2–3 cover the complete score as heard in the film, with the fourth disc featuring over 66 minutes of original and alternate versions, often markedly different from the versions ultimately used in the film.

In Burton’s version of the story, Johnny Depp stars as Ichabod Crane, a New York City homicide detective in 1799, working at the threshold of scientific advances and advocating the use of new forensics technology in a world full of skeptics. Crane is sent to Sleepy Hollow, just up the Hudson River, to solve a string of mysterious beheadings. There he finds a town full of silence and secrets, the heart of which is the Van Tassel family. Crane untangles a complex web of family history and conspiracy involving a dead pregnant widow, a rewritten will, and a possessed Tree of the Dead. Around every turn is the ghost of a Hessian soldier, riding through town and lopping off heads. In digging up the town’s violent past, Crane ends up exhuming his own—a childhood traumatized by the murder of his witchcraft-practicing mother by his hyper-religious father.

INTRADA ISC 464
Barcode: 7 20258546401
Retail Price: $39.99
Starts shipping 7/29
For track listing and sound samples, please visit http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12307/.f

Doug says:

Danny Elfman
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 464
Film Date: 1999
Album Date: 2021
Time: 251.53
Tracks: 70
STARTS SHIPPING JULY 29
Price: $39.99

Danny Elfman’s powerful greatly expanded 1999 horror soundtrack on 4 CDs! Tim Burton directs, Johnny Depp stars as Ichabod Crane, homicide detective from Washington Irving’s legendary short story. Supporting players include Christina Ricci, Miranda Richardson, Michael Gambon, Casper Van Dien, Jeffrey Jones, plus Christopher Walken as the brutal Hessian headless horseman. Kevin Yagher creates graphic prosthetics, intense film’s art direction wins an Academy Award. 

Ichabod Crane, working outside New York City in 1799, brings new forensic technology to solve mystery of numerous beheadings. Dark secrets, conspiracies, complicated family history juxtaposes with frightening Tree of Death and the headless mercenary roaming atop his black steed. It’s strong, scary, violent stuff! 

Danny Elfman fashions arguably his biggest, most vividly terrifying score, written for massive orchestra, chorus plus boys choir and soloists, with pipe organ in tow. Elfman melds haunting lyricism with dynamic power and dense intensity. Results are now gentle, now thundering. Epic indeed! Adding further weight to score, Elfman creates several lengthy sequences: The Tree Of Death, The Church Battle, The Windmill, The Chase and Final Confrontation, plus others. Some 95 minutes of music appears in the finished film. All of it appears on this 4-CD release. But there is much much more! Over an hour of additional alternates and rescored sequences also appear. Some of these offer considerably different takes on the same cue, others have rewritten bars that offer subtler alterations. 

Rounding out lavish set is Elfman’s original Hollywood label release with 68-minutes of score as presented by the composer in 1999. Entire 4-disc set mastered from digital elements recorded by Shawn Murphy & Jonathan Allen in London and mixed by Robert Fernandez in New York. Sizeable orchestration duties handled by Conrad Pope, David Slonaker, Albert Olson, Steve Bartek, Mark McKenzie, Marc Mann. Allan Wilson conducts, choral work performed by Metro Voices and The London Oratory School SCHOLA. Intrada presentation made possible through Hollywood Records and Paramount Pictures. Dramatic package design by Kay Marshall, literate booklet notes by Tim Greiving. Intrada 4-CD set available while quantities and interest remain!

TRACK LIST

CD 1 Original 1999 Soundtrack Album
01. Introduction (4:16)
02. Main Titles (3:09)
03. Young Ichabod (1:20)
04. The Story… (4:29)
05. Masbath’s Terrible Death (1:35)
06. Sweet Dreams (1:11)
07. A Gift (2:26)
08. Into The Woods/The Witch (3:32)
09. More Dreams (1:42)
10. The Tree Of Death (9:36)
11. Bad Dream / Tender Moment (3:34)
12. Evil Eye (3:43)
13. The Church Battle (3:34)
14. Love Lost (5:16)
15. The Windmill (6:18)
16. The Chase (3:12)
17. The Final Confrontation (4:17)
18. A New Day! (1:29)
19. End Credits (3:18)
CD 1 Total Time: 68:00

CD 2 Sleepy Hollow – The Soundtrack
01. Introduction (Revised) (4:17)
02. A Place Called… (Version #2) / Main Titles (Revised) (5:52)
03. The Story... (Revised) (4:30)
04. Masbath’s Terrible Death (Revised) (1:35)
05. Murder (1:32)
06. Science At Work (2:27)
07. Young Masbath (2:05)
08. Autopsy / Phony Chase (Revised) (2:35)
09. Sweet Dreams (Revised #2) (1:10)
10. Family History (3:47)
11. Spying (Revised) (3:18)
12. Philipse’s Death (Alternate) (1:17)
13. Dream #2 (Revised) (1:41)
14. Into The Woods / The Witch (4:40)
15. Mystery Figure (Alternate) (1:12)
16. The Tree Of Death (Alternate) (10:20)
17. Katrina’s Brew (0:34)
18. Bad Dream / Tender Moment (Version #3) (3:32)
19. Trouble In Town (0:34)
20. The Will (Revised) (2:28)
21. Evil Eye (Revised) (3:43)
22. Lady Van T’s Hand (1:18)
23. The Church Battle (Alternate) (8:48)
CD 2 Total Time: 74:10

CD 3 Sleepy Hollow – The Soundtrack (Continued)
01. The Windmill (Revised) (7:41)
02. The Chase/The Final Confrontation (Version #3); A New Day! (Revised) (9:00)
03. End Credits (Revised)> (3:15)
CD 2 Soundtrack Time: 20:06

Total Soundtrack Time: 94:06

The Extras – Alternates
04. Introduction (Original) (3:50)
05. A Place Called… (Version #1) (1:33)
06. Main Titles (Original) (2:45)
07. Main Titles (Alternate) (2:22)
08. The Story… (Original) (4:27)
09. Ichabod’s Arrival (Alternate) (1:27)
10. Masbath’s Terrible Death (Original) (1:44)
11. Autopsy/Phony Chase (Original) (2:33)
12. Sweet Dreams (Original) (1:18)
13. Sweet Dreams (Alternate) (1:17)
14. Young Ichabod (Revised #1) (1:20)
15. Spying (Original) (3:26)
16. Philipse’s Death (Original) (1:17)
17. Mystery Figure (Original) (1:10)
Alternates Time: 31:00

CD 3 Total Time: 51:07

CD 4 The Extras – Alternates (Continued)
01. The Tree Of Death (Original) (10:23)
02. Bad Dream/ Tender Moment (Original) (3:31)
03. Bad Dream/Tender Moment (Version #2) (3:31)
04. The Will (Original) (2:28)
05. Evil Eye (Original) (3:45)
06. The Church Battle (Original) (8:46)
07. Love Lost (Revised) (5:16)
08. The Windmill (Original) (7:08)
09. The Chase/The Final Confrontation (Version #1); A New Day! (Original) (9:05)
10. The Chase/The Final Confrontation (Version #2); A New Day! (Original) (9:04)
11. End Credits (Original) (3:10)

Alternates (Continued) Time: 66:34

Total Alternates Time: 97:34

CD 4 Total Time: 66:36

SleepyHollow_isc464_1600a.jpg

SleepyHollow_isc464_1600b.jpg

SleepyHollow_isc464_600c.jpg

So a 94:06 main program followed by a 97:34 alternates program.  Impressive!

I'm obsessed with this release already. I can't wait to listen to this. There is a ridiculous amount of music here. It looks like it's going to be the Elfman equivalent of the amazing A.I. release, only with the OST presentation making it somehow even more comprehensive? I'm gobsmacked.

I'm calling it ahead of time: this is the release of the year unless something like Hook happens.

38 minutes ago, mstrox said:

That box also has “More Dreams (Alternate)” which I’m assuming will be track 12 or 13 of disc 3 based on the timing, but maybe isn’t on there.

That track was actually mislabled on that release; It isn't an alternate of "More Dreams", it's an alternate of "Sweet Dreams".  So, it should be here as Disc 3, track 12 or 13

38 minutes ago, mstrox said:

With the big box OOP, I was hoping those worktapes and demos would find new homes.

LLL's Planet of the Apes expansion and Intrada's Edward Scissorhands expansion, both released after the box, didn't have theirs released either

So many alternates, that's crazy. Definitely one I will buy, I've enjoyed the OST for years. 

15 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Over Hook?! You're insane, sir. Verifiable.

I think Hook is a fine score, but The Patriot is my priority. I've been dying to hear it complete and chronological for years!

So which of these covers will be on the front? The far better one, I hope.

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

FYI: It looks like the album does not include the Themes Demo from the Elfman/Burton box.  

Fake forgot to plug in the USB thingy.

Apparently post production on this was a real nightmare (including the recording of the score), so hopefully the liner notes will get into it

Martin Landau once commented that Elfman was writing the score for the opening scene (a reshoot) behind the monitor as it was being shot

On 27/07/2021 at 9:35 AM, ddddeeee said:

Apparently post production on this was a real nightmare (including the recording of the score), so hopefully the liner notes will get into it

Greiving's great; if the people involved didn't veto more embarrassing/uncomfortable/hurtful details, expect the most comprehensive take on the score yet, with quotes from newly conducted interviews and such.

All of the combined cues make sense - a lot of them run into each other in the film, and The Church Battle/Love Lost play as one piece of music in the film - the OST just chops the track in half.

I did think when I saw the huge number of alternates that something must have gone less than ideal during post and/or scoring, i.e. things changing, and Burton or Elfman having issues with the music. Hopefully indeed the liners will go into this.

I'm going to be nervous when I first play CD 2 track 2, hoping they've found all the correct takes, but it overall looks thoroughy comprehensive :) 

Ordered! This might be my favourite Elfman score and the new set is a dream come true in its comprehensiveness. :)

And yes if the amount of alternates is anything to go by, the score had to be refined quite a bit during the scoring and post production. But more music for us so I can't complain! :D

9 hours ago, Holko said:

So which of these covers will be on the front?

My impression is that the booklet will contain one cover on each side of it, the you can flip in either way to put whichever cover you prefer as the one facing forward

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

My impression is that the booklet will contain one cover on each side of it, the you can flip in either way to put whichever cover you prefer as the one facing forward

4CD clamshells don't have the booklet in the front so that won't work unfortunately. Either they make the cover itself a flipper or I'll have to print the better one for myself.

34 minutes ago, Holko said:

4CD clamshells don't have the booklet in the front so that won't work unfortunately

D'oh!  Of course!

Yea, I hope the second one listed is the one on the front of the clamshell since the OST already used the other one

1 minute ago, Jay said:

since the OST already used the other one

It's a slight improvement over the OST one, not a straight reprint, but still meh.

They helped hype me up even more! Every time the horseman's theme comes along, I can't help but nod along with a wicked snarl, the ones in Philipse's Death and The Story (Original) especially. Not always a huge improvement over the OST's general sound but good enough.